PDA

View Full Version : Which polisher to get, NEXT

Pages : [1] 2

TD_05
08-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Hello to all-

The griots has been my go to for 5-6 years of detailing family cars. I really like the way they work. I just got a replacement griots polisher from griots, no questions asked. Thanks to them for their amazing customer service. My wife got me a torq random orbital 2 years ago. I really don't like it, how it bogs down on anything with a curve etc. So MY QUESTION: Should I go bigger or smaller for the next polisher to add to arsenal? I am debating between adding a flex 3401 and using small backing plates on griots for smaller areas. OR do I keep griots as main workhorse and add a small rupes bigfoot nano ibrid?
Not sure where I should have posted this, admins feel free to move to move as needed...
thanks
TD

spazzz
08-25-2019, 10:15 AM
My first DA is the PC7424, my second DA is a Flex 3401.
Wait for the new version since that is the machine you want.

Some LC Force pads for the 3401 will do you no wrong.

MarkD51
08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Tough to tell you what to do?

Do you have the need of correcting really tiny areas often to warrant the purchase of the Nano Ibrid?

I might be inclined to say for the money spent, go with the Flex 3401, and use the GG6 and/or the Torq with smaller Plates-Pads.

The 3401 with additional Flex 4.5" Backing Plate might then cover the majority of your work, save some time and effort since you won't be knocking yourself out with marking Backing Plates, and fighting the loss of rotation for paint correction.

Maybe somewhere along the way, pick up a baby Griots 3" cheap. It can be outfitted with both 3" and 2" Plates-Pads. It is my understanding that even if you cannot provide a bill of sale for a Griots machine if it conks out at some future point, Griots will replace it if faulty.

Buster906
08-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Have you looked into the G21

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Z06-Goose
08-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Flex 3401 hands down if you’re a somewhat experienced and has handled buffing before, and even for a new person is still good, you may find it to be a bit too heavy.
If you want to learn and at the same time have a buffer with some comparable bite as the top of the line ones in the dual action category, then I would highly recommend the porter cable PC7424XP

TD_05
08-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Thanks to all for your feedback. As most have eluded to, I think the 3401 is the right way to go for me. Not a ton of small spots to work on, I could borrow an ibrid as needed from a friend.

When is the new flex 3401 coming out?

Thanks Again,
TD

Mike@ShineStruck
08-27-2019, 07:34 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback. As most have eluded to, I think the 3401 is the right way to go for me. Not a ton of small spots to work on, I could borrow an ibrid as needed from a friend.

When is the new flex 3401 coming out?

Thanks Again,
TD

Makita PO5000C is the best forced DA side by side

If you already have a GG6
Get their HD 3in plate and some lake country Thin pro pads
Get a 21mm machine like Griot boss G21 or Rupes mark II install a 5in plate

bofh
08-27-2019, 08:57 AM
I bought a cordless polisher. I really like it for quick-fix jobs. I have no idea how many batteries it would take to do an entire vehicle but I can, for example, polish out the hood with a cleaner wax real quick and without running electrical cords.

TTQ B4U
08-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Hello to all-

The griots has been my go to for 5-6 years of detailing family cars. I really like the way they work. I just got a replacement griots polisher from griots, no questions asked. Thanks to them for their amazing customer service. My wife got me a torq random orbital 2 years ago. I really don't like it, how it bogs down on anything with a curve etc. So MY QUESTION: Should I go bigger or smaller for the next polisher to add to arsenal? I am debating between adding a flex 3401 and using small backing plates on griots for smaller areas. OR do I keep griots as main workhorse and add a small rupes bigfoot nano ibrid?
Not sure where I should have posted this, admins feel free to move to move as needed...
thanks
TD

Once you use the Flex you won't likely pick up your Griot's again.

DBAILEY
08-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Use your Torx with a 3" backing plate. Use your GG6 with 5" or 6" plates depending on what pads you own. Get whatever geared forced rotation polisher you decided upon.

You could do just about anything with those 3 machines

Mike Phillips
08-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Makita PO5000C is the best forced DA side by side

I have a different opinion.

The FLEX 3401 is the best gear-driven Orbital side-by-side.

The subjective word being what a person’s definition of the word best is?

For me the word best in this context means fastest for paint correction and ability to finish out with professional quality results.

:)

Bruno Soares
08-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Might want to wait until 09/09 just in case Griot's will announce a forced rotation polisher :)

Mike@ShineStruck
08-28-2019, 05:11 AM
I have a different opinion.

The FLEX 3401 is the best gear-driven Orbital side-by-side.

The subjective word being what a person’s definition of the word best is?

For me the word best in this context means fastest for paint correction and ability to finish out with professional quality results.

:)

I've based mine on how fast both machines took out a 1000 grit
Smoothness(lack of imbalance/vibration)
Ergonomics
Machine heat
RPM is king in the world of forced, just like with rotary

Price points helped the subject too.

Makita ease of operation familiar enough to a longthrow more than a 3401, even though it can walk in situations, but less and more controllable than 3401.

Pad walk is induced by uneven pressure on each side of tool, or pad not flat..or simply pad to thin to contour to panel

Makita doesn't leave me beat up the next day like how someone would feel day after football or good workout

Makita is better on my nerves as my hands tingle easy with the 3401

MarkD51
08-28-2019, 07:11 AM
I've based mine on how fast both machines took out a 1000 grit
Smoothness(lack of imbalance/vibration)
Ergonomics
Machine heat
RPM is king in the world of forced, just like with rotary

Price points helped the subject too.

Makita east of operation fsimilar enough to a longthrow more than a 3401, even though it can walk in situations, bit less and more controllable than 3401.

But pad walk is induced by uneven pressure on each side of tool, or pad not flat..or simply pad to thin to not contour to panel

Makita doesn't leave me beat up the next day like how someone would feel day after football or good workout

Makita is better on my nerves as my hands tingle easy with the 3401

I'll assume you have used both machines.

Is rotation direction the same as the Flex, or opposite? I see Makita sold here, but not this particular machine.

Looks like the Flex has the ability of using a number of different size backing plates, but am I correct the Makita only uses one, a 5"? Not that I'd personally want to go larger than 5.5" Pads, but perhaps others might for larger jobs?

Such as Pad size might be a moot point though.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-28-2019, 07:19 AM
I'll assume you have used both machines.

Is rotation direction the same as the Flex, or opposite? I see Makita sold here, but not this particular machine.

Looks like the Flex has the ability of using a number of different size backing plates, but am I correct the Makita only uses one, a 5"? Not that I'd personally want to go larger than 5.5" Pads, but perhaps others might for larger jobs?

I've owned all 3 forced.. clocked in many hours with 3401 and PO5000C...nit many hours clocked in in the Mille

They are both counter clockwise
Only one that is clockwise is the Mille