PDA

View Full Version : 303 vs Hyper Dressing

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
08-23-2019, 07:57 AM
Which product do you prefer for the engine bay and why? Does Hyper Dressing offer any level of plastic and rubber protection?

Pats300zx
08-23-2019, 09:14 AM
I always like Hyper Dressing at 4:1 for engine bays. Nice gloss look that is not overly greasy. Both 303 and Hyper Dressing should offer some protection.

CleanIT
08-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Thanks! I've only used 303 previously and Sonus Motokote. I ordered a gallon of Hyper Dressing and will be trying it out this weekend. I'm trying to stick with one product. I like that you can dilute HD. I just wasn't sure if it had any rubber/plastic protection ability. 303's claim to fame is UV protection, but I'm not concerned about that under the hood. Being both are water based I know that durability is minimal.

CleanIT
08-23-2019, 03:28 PM
I always like Hyper Dressing at 4:1 for engine bays. Nice gloss look that is not overly greasy. Both 303 and Hyper Dressing should offer some protection.

Pat, does HD leave a tacky finish behind, even at 4:1? Someone told me is a bit sticky and draws dirt/dust.

spazzz
08-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Pat, does HD leave a tacky finish behind, even at 4:1? Someone told me is a bit sticky and draws dirt/dust.

Curious about your opinions, please post back with your results.

I have been entertaining the thoughts of buying it for 4 years but the gallon size scares me away.
All I would use it for is an engine or 2 every couple of years.

CleanIT
08-23-2019, 06:41 PM
Curious about your opinions, please post back with your results.

I have been entertaining the thoughts of buying it for 4 years but the gallon size scares me away.
All I would use it for is an engine or 2 every couple of years.

I just sprayed down the engine with a 3:1 ratio. I wanted to do a 4:1 but the bottle I had wasn't big enough. As soon as it dries I'll let you know. I also have a bottle of Polish Angel Engine I'm going to try. If the Hyper Dressing works out well, I'll likely use that. Much easier.

tcope
08-24-2019, 03:44 AM
I use HD on engines, tires and wheel liners. I use 303 on other interior and exterior plastics and rubber. HD is far less expensive and I think it does best when lightly sprayed on and left to migrate. I would not leave it on interior plastic and it is not very practical to spray so much on other exterior areas. It leaves a slight film but it also washes off very easily. To me, this is good as it makes those areas easy to clean. I use it at 4:1 for a more matte look and 2:1 when I want some gloss. I little goes a long way. HD seems to have this magical property and migrates to surrounding plastic and rubber. Just a light mist on engine parts and walk away.

Pats300zx
08-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Not at all. I have even used it at 4:1 on interiors.

CleanIT
08-24-2019, 08:52 AM
I use HD on engines, tires and wheel liners. I use 303 on other interior and exterior plastics and rubber. HD is far less expensive and I think it does best when lightly sprayed on and left to migrate. I would not leave it on interior plastic and it is not very practical to spray so much on other exterior areas. It leaves a slight film but it also washes off very easily. To me, this is good as it makes those areas easy to clean. I use it at 4:1 for a more matte look and 2:1 when I want some gloss. I little goes a long way. HD seems to have this magical property and migrates to surrounding plastic and rubber. Just a light mist on engine parts and walk away.

So last night I used it for the first time and I couldn't agree with you more. Of all the dressings I've used (303/Sonus Motorkote), Hyper Dressing lays the best. I would only use a 4:1 (I'm even thinking 5:1 next) as anything more is much too glossy for my taste. Unless you're detailing the engine by hand (I may try Polish Angel Engine), I think Hyper is the way to go. 303 isn't really going to offer more protection under the hood IMO. On plastic interior surfaces, it will due to the higher UV protection, but under the engine it's just another water-based dressing.

I guess you can look at durability two ways - having it come off easy is good as you said because it makes those areas easy to clean. For more durability I think something like Polish Angel Engine would be best because it contains oils, which nourish the plastics and rubber. Sonus would also likely hold up a bit better but I wasn't too impressed with Sonus.

Here is my engine with MGHD at 4:1

Calendyr
08-25-2019, 12:22 AM
Ya, Hyperdressing is the superstar of the dressings IMO. It works amazing no matter what dilution you use it at and it's very inexpensive. I used to dilute it 4:1 but latelly I have upgraded it to 3:1. Most people like shiny plastic, so at 3:1 it 's more of a gloss than satin look.

Anyway, never noticed any tackiness once fully dried. It may take a day or so, not sure how long it takes. It is tacky when it starts to dry but I use it on all the interiors, including my own vehicles and I never noticed it being tacky the next day after it was applied. For engines, it must dry even faster because of the heat of the engine.

CleanIT
08-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Being they are all water-based too, including Sonus Motorkote, I will use which ever settles the best without fuss and that is Hyper-Dressing IMO.

dman68
08-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Is 303 an apply and walk away product as with HD? Have not tried either one....Just curious.

CleanIT
08-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Is 303 an apply and walk away product as with HD? Have not tried either one....Just curious.

It can be, but not nearly as much as HD is. With 303, I would get the engine very warm prior to applying it. I'd spray the engine down while the engine was warm/hot, and shut the hood. That helps it lay. HD just settles regardless of the engine temp.

dman68
08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
It can be, but not nearly as much as HD is. With 303, I would get the engine very warm prior to applying it. I'd spray the engine down while the engine was warm/hot, and shut the hood. That helps it lay. HD just settles regardless of the engine temp.

Thanks sir. I assume this would be done on a dry engine? I've had a bottle of 303 for a couple of months but have not used it on anything as of yet.

CleanIT
08-25-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks sir. I assume this would be done on a dry engine? I've had a bottle of 303 for a couple of months but have not used it on anything as of yet.

No problem.

Well, with Hyper Dressing, you can apply it to a wet or dry engine, that's the beauty of it. A lot of folks spray the engine down while it's wet and let it settle. 303 the engine should be dry. The way I've always detailed engines was: 1. Wash 2. Dry 3 (leaf blower). Go for a drive to dry even further 4. Come back from drive and apply 303/Sonus to warm/hot engine and let settle.

That has always worked very well for me.