PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Fine vs Fine polishes and new paint...

MrOneEyedBoh
08-20-2019, 10:46 AM
So my buddy bought a new truck, its the Ford platinum tri-coat white. We've all heard that the new Ford clears are pretty thin so he wants to stay mild. The dealer didnt touch the paint, so it should be pretty good and with it being white, its pretty hard to see any swirls as it is regardless. With that being said I was thinking about using a paint cleanser but for the same amount of time, I should just use a Ultra Fine or a Fine polish...

I have HD polish+, Griots Boss perfecting cream and Optimum hyper polish now.

I did some research and looks like a lot of people say to use Prima Amigo or Menz SF4500 ( I think its called ) to remove light stuff and clean up the paint some. Again its white so I think something light would work best and not having to spend a lot of time on it...

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use?
What about the thought process against or for using something light as a better alternative since white only gets so good looking...?

Im using LC flat pads, so I have blue, gray/black and white... Suggestions on pad usage?

FUNX650
08-20-2019, 11:57 AM
I did some research and looks like a lot
of people say to use Prima Amigo or Menz
SF4500 ( I think its called ) to remove light
stuff and clean up the paint some.

Again its white so I think something light
would work best and not having to spend
a lot of time on it...

Suggestions on pad usage?

If this was my vehicle, with the paint
in the shape you described...

I would use a Cleaner/Sealant such as
...Meguiars #20 Polymer Sealant...
(on a blue LC flat pad)...and call it a day.

Bob

Rsurfer
08-20-2019, 01:26 PM
So my buddy bought a new truck, its the Ford platinum tri-coat white. We've all heard that the new Ford clears are pretty thin so he wants to stay mild. The dealer didnt touch the paint, so it should be pretty good and with it being white, its pretty hard to see any swirls as it is regardless. With that being said I was thinking about using a paint cleanser but for the same amount of time, I should just use a Ultra Fine or a Fine polish...

I have HD polish+, Griots Boss perfecting cream and Optimum hyper polish now.

I did some research and looks like a lot of people say to use Prima Amigo or Menz SF4500 ( I think its called ) to remove light stuff and clean up the paint some. Again its white so I think something light would work best and not having to spend a lot of time on it...

What about the thought process against or for using something light as a better alternative since white only gets so good looking...?

Im using LC flat pads, so I have blue, gray/black and white... Suggestions on pad usage?

All three polishes are fine with a white polishing pad. What will you be using as your LSP?

MrOneEyedBoh
08-20-2019, 02:11 PM
All three polishes are fine with a white polishing pad. What will you be using as your LSP?One of the greats like colly 845, m37 HD sealant, WDGPS, ETC. Maybe even sonax PNS since it's white and if it streaks some, it'll be harder to see.

Rsurfer
08-20-2019, 02:46 PM
One of the greats like colly 845, m37 HD sealant, WDGPS, ETC. Maybe even sonax PNS since it's white and if it streaks some, it'll be harder to see.

They are all good choices, flip a coin.

MrOneEyedBoh
08-20-2019, 06:26 PM
That's what I was thinking

PaulMys
08-20-2019, 07:42 PM
I work for a Ford dealer.

That White platinum tri-coat is a beautiful paint. (Hence the $595 extra for it).

I would think any reputable wax/sealant that we discuss here on AGO would make it "Pop".

MrOneEyedBoh
08-21-2019, 04:31 AM
I work for a Ford dealer.

That White platinum tri-coat is a beautiful paint. (Hence the $595 extra for it).

I would think any reputable wax/sealant that we discuss here on AGO would make it "Pop".Thanks. Am I right about the clear being thin?

PaulMys
08-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Thanks. Am I right about the clear being thin?

This I do not know.

I don't work as a detailer (or what dealers call "detailers") there.

Sorry, man.

MrOneEyedBoh
08-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know what grit those fine polishes I have listed are?

Griot's perfecting cream
Hd polish+
Opt hyperpolish

Rsurfer
08-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Does anyone know what grit those fine polishes I have listed are?

Griot's perfecting cream
Hd polish+
Opt hyperpolish

I don't think polishes are measured by grit rather by fine and finishing.

Mike Phillips
08-21-2019, 07:09 PM
They are all good choices, flip a coin.

I agree with Ron. Don't make this project, which is really simple stuff complicated.

Thanks. Am I right about the clear being thin?

Have you seen my article titled,

Clearcoats are thin

I've shared hundreds of times on this forum. You can Google that title and add my name and it will come right up.

Besides explaining that clear coats are thin it also explains that the factory MUST spray at least 2 mils for the ENTIRE paint job, the "matrix" to hold up over time and exposed to this world.

So whatever a factory finish measures to, at least 2 mils are clear. Fords don't have less clear paint because they are Fords.

Use the least aggressive process to get the job done

:)