PDA

View Full Version : porter cable white pad on the xt

Pages : [1] 2

animescreen
08-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Well, my pads i will be using for polishing hasn't come in yet and will be waiting for this. Meanwhile, I'll just be wash, iron clay, tar, claybar and then put white wax from meguiars. I wanna use the porter cable to apply the wax and wondering following.

1. The white pad it comes with , heard it's kind of useless but would it work on applying wax and buffing it out?
2. Should I just do 1-2 speed or higher
3. I'll be doing like like 2x2 or 2x3 feet per waxing and wondering how often should i clean the pad and how to clean it off . I don't have access to the compressed blowers.

Then when my pads and polish comes I'll just redo the steps and polish. Been practicing polish using the book i got on here so seems im holding off on it as need to practice bit more. Wax seems more safe to just apply.

Rsurfer
08-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Your right about the white pad being useless. You can use it to apply wax if you can't wait for some better pads. Spread the wax like buttering bread. Remove by hand unless you have a bonnet to go over the pad.

DMiglio
08-17-2019, 05:46 PM
I’ve used it in the past just for applying an AIO to my hood, roof and trunk. It feels like it’s between Lake Country’s white and orange pad, slightly stiffer than the white but not as hard as the orange. It’s thicker than any other pad I’ve seen and not great for the PC as it bogs down easily.

Worked in 6-8 passes I was able to correct the paint slightly and enhance the finish. To polish I wouldn’t go any lower than 5.5-6 on the speed setting, to spread wax might need to use 3-3.5 to make sure the pad is rotating. I have a large selection of pads but figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, it was sitting in the PC box for almost 6 years.

Bruno Soares
08-17-2019, 06:13 PM
I think that pad is abrasive and should not be used to apply a wax. I’d just wait for your pads to come which should be soon. If you really want to wax now then do it by hand.

animescreen
08-18-2019, 12:18 AM
Yeah didnt seem that soft heard its really good for nothing but im sure i can use it to clean something around the house. How many pads should i have to wax ? It seems i only ordered one which means ill be cleaning it every 2x2 feet with no air compressor.. any suggestion on how to clean as i go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
08-18-2019, 04:13 AM
Yeah didnt seem that soft heard its really good for nothing but im sure i can use it to clean something around the house. How many pads should i have to wax ? It seems i only ordered one which means ill be cleaning it every 2x2 feet with no air compressor.. any suggestion on how to clean as i go?

Your waxing and not polishing, so cleaning is not necessary unless the pad gets really dirty.

Bruno Soares
08-18-2019, 06:43 AM

No need to clean that pad while waxing, it’s different than a polishing pad that is removing clear coat and should be cleaned.

animescreen
08-18-2019, 10:33 AM
I’ve used it in the past just for applying an AIO to my hood, roof and trunk. It feels like it’s between Lake Country’s white and orange pad, slightly stiffer than the white but not as hard as the orange. It’s thicker than any other pad I’ve seen and not great for the PC as it bogs down easily.

Worked in 6-8 passes I was able to correct the paint slightly and enhance the finish. To polish I wouldn’t go any lower than 5.5-6 on the speed setting, to spread wax might need to use 3-3.5 to make sure the pad is rotating. I have a large selection of pads but figured it wouldn’t hurt to try, it was sitting in the PC box for almost 6 years.

So basically you were bit skeptical in beginning then after honing down your skills you decided to give it a shot and had no issues right? So spreading the wax, you went 5.5 to 6 speed? I tested the speed just when i opened it and got pretty started how fast it goes. Or did you mean go 3-3.5 to spread the wax. And bufffing it out use the same speed of 3 to 3.5? How did you clean as you go if used this pad alone?

animescreen
08-18-2019, 10:34 AM
No need to clean that pad while waxing, it’s different than a polishing pad that is removing clear coat and should be cleaned.

Answered my question i had prior lol.. But the white wax i use is a AIO so its bit abrasive. So i'm guessing it will pick up things which is why cleaning as I go is probally warranted.

animescreen
08-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Your waxing and not polishing, so cleaning is not necessary unless the pad gets really dirty.

White wax has some smat abrasive in it from meguiar so its kind of polish and waxing. Maybe these all in ones you have to kind of ask lot of questions like I do lol

Bruno Soares
08-18-2019, 10:46 AM
I see, so it’s an AIO and not just wax. In that case a white polishing pad is fine but you should consider a few to cover the car. Like 4 of the white pads. If it was just wax with black or red pad then 1 would be fine.

animescreen
08-19-2019, 06:28 PM
So color pads are they like universal amongst manufactures? Like if you say black or red pad for waxing and one will be ok. It will usually same if it was griots or lake county (think thats the name) lol

Guess makes senae to have more pads for aio as it has abrasives and will pick up stuff (mixed with white pad thats bit abrasive as well) so more pads the merrier while just wax will require just one and occasionally clean correct?

Bruno Soares
08-19-2019, 08:31 PM
So color pads are they like universal amongst manufactures? Like if you say black or red pad for waxing and one will be ok. It will usually same if it was griots or lake county (think thats the name) lol

Guess makes senae to have more pads for aio as it has abrasives and will pick up stuff (mixed with white pad thats bit abrasive as well) so more pads the merrier while just wax will require just one and occasionally clean correct?

Right. I’m familiar with lake country so those were the colors I used. They are not universal. The ones i use are thin pro available at Autogeek.

DMiglio
08-19-2019, 09:10 PM
So basically you were bit skeptical in beginning then after honing down your skills you decided to give it a shot and had no issues right? So spreading the wax, you went 5.5 to 6 speed? I tested the speed just when i opened it and got pretty started how fast it goes. Or did you mean go 3-3.5 to spread the wax. And bufffing it out use the same speed of 3 to 3.5? How did you clean as you go if used this pad alone?

Hey sorry for the late reply,

Not a skill thing, just a “ehh this pad is pointless thing” and didn’t see a use for it so left it in the box haha. I bought a polishing kit when I bought the PC so used the 5inch backing plate and some pads it came with. When I sold a winter car of mine I figured I’d use the white pad the PC came with to see how it worked seeing as how the paint was pretty shot I couldn’t hurt it any. To my surprise it worked well and really cleaned the paint up. I wouldn’t use it normally just was having some fun is all.

In this case I only used the pad over 3 large panels(hood, roof, trunk) which I broke into two sections a piece for 6 total “panels.” As far as pad cleaning I like to keep a terry towel or cheaper microfiber on me and after a couple of panels I’ll put the towel to the face of the pad and turn the polisher on. This cleans it on the fly and works well enough for a few panels before needing to change to another pad. Like somebody suggested you could probably get away with 4 pads.

For spreading a finishing wax, I’d use 3-3.5 speed to keep the pad spinning, helps the polisher to just “glide” across the paint without “sticking.” This will speed up your ability to spread the wax quickly and efficiently as opposed to doing it by hand or at a low speed 1-2, where the pad just doesn’t want to move but almost stick to the paint.

For using a cleaner wax, even if just to clean the paint a bit I’d use 5-6 speed setting and cover a good size of the panel, think half a hood, fender, half a door etc, and go over the area 4 times or so in a cross hatch pattern. This will take some more time(less than an hour),but if you’re just looking to bring out more shine and depth you don’t need to focus much on pressure or slow arm speed. You’ll remove a lot of impurities in the paint which alone will enhance the overall finish of the paint.

Sorry for the long winded post but why explain something in 100 words when you can use 1000 haha!?

animescreen
08-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Hey sorry for the late reply,

Not a skill thing, just a “ehh this pad is pointless thing” and didn’t see a use for it so left it in the box haha. I bought a polishing kit when I bought the PC so used the 5inch backing plate and some pads it came with. When I sold a winter car of mine I figured I’d use the white pad the PC came with to see how it worked seeing as how the paint was pretty shot I couldn’t hurt it any. To my surprise it worked well and really cleaned the paint up. I wouldn’t use it normally just was having some fun is all.

In this case I only used the pad over 3 large panels(hood, roof, trunk) which I broke into two sections a piece for 6 total “panels.” As far as pad cleaning I like to keep a terry towel or cheaper microfiber on me and after a couple of panels I’ll put the towel to the face of the pad and turn the polisher on. This cleans it on the fly and works well enough for a few panels before needing to change to another pad. Like somebody suggested you could probably get away with 4 pads.

For spreading a finishing wax, I’d use 3-3.5 speed to keep the pad spinning, helps the polisher to just “glide” across the paint without “sticking.” This will speed up your ability to spread the wax quickly and efficiently as opposed to doing it by hand or at a low speed 1-2, where the pad just doesn’t want to move but almost stick to the paint.

For using a cleaner wax, even if just to clean the paint a bit I’d use 5-6 speed setting and cover a good size of the panel, think half a hood, fender, half a door etc, and go over the area 4 times or so in a cross hatch pattern. This will take some more time(less than an hour),but if you’re just looking to bring out more shine and depth you don’t need to focus much on pressure or slow arm speed. You’ll remove a lot of impurities in the paint which alone will enhance the overall finish of the paint.

Sorry for the long winded post but why explain something in 100 words when you can use 1000 haha!?

I like the details plus helps my patience lol.. 5 to 6 speed for beginner like me will require some practices on my other car that needs polish. You use a porter cable right? Any suggestion on good polish for starting out and pads for polish.