PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for polishing in hot dry environment.

Tim McCreary
08-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for DA polishing a car in hot weather? I live in Phoenix and my garage does not have A/C. The normal temperature lately is in the 100 degree range from about 9am on. I don’t want to wait until November to polish my car. My concern is that as I start making passes with a small amount of polish, the polish will haze and dry. If I add more polish to keep it wet, then it is too much and slings.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tim

RZJZA80
08-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Polishing in the shade of your garage shouldn't cause any issues, but if you notice the polish drying quickly, a spritz of plain water will help the polish along through a full polishing cycle.

MarkD51
08-17-2019, 12:41 PM
About the best advice I can give, since I lived in Southern NM for a good while, is get up before the crack of dawn to start And be finished with that portion of the day's work by 9am or so.

Have everything ready to go the night before, retire early. As long as you have decent lighting, you should be OK. 80 degrees or so is doable, but approaching the triple digits, it's no fun at all, not for the car, and not for you either.

If it takes a total of 2 days to polish, that isn't so bad.

When I once did my Tahoe, it took just about 3 days to be ready to apply a Coating. The decon took just about a good portion of the first day, with then masking a lot of areas-trim, etc. The second day just polishing the roof on a 5' ladder, then the third day I did the rest.

4th day, CQuartz UK was applied.

mckobe
08-17-2019, 03:19 PM
1 panel at a time with HDSpeed

jeepininawk
08-20-2019, 01:05 PM
I'm in El paso Texas. I recently did my trailblazer. I started washing around 4pm and got done with everything around 10pm. I park in what shade I have (garage is full of tools) also I put up my easy up.

I spray it down with the hose for a bit to cool the paint down, then foam, wash with mitt, clay, dry, then take a little brake to recoup from the heat. By this time it's around 530 and the sun is starting to go down so I can polish and wax panel by panel with no real problem. (I start with whatever side has more shade and bounce around from there)

I'm not a pro, hell this is the first vehicle I had that's really worth the effort.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

mckobe
08-21-2019, 12:44 AM
I'm in El paso Texas. I recently did my trailblazer. I started washing around 4pm and got done with everything around 10pm. I park in what shade I have (garage is full of tools) also I put up my easy up.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Yes for Easy Up!

Coatingsarecrack
08-21-2019, 03:01 AM
I have some chemical guys pad conditioner that you mist on the pads between sections. I’m sure AG offers something similar or just use water and mist on between sections or passes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM5C
09-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for DA polishing a car in hot weather? I live in Phoenix and my garage does not have A/C. The normal temperature lately is in the 100 degree range from about 9am on. I don’t want to wait until November to polish my car. My concern is that as I start making passes with a small amount of polish, the polish will haze and dry. If I add more polish to keep it wet, then it is too much and slings.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tim

I'm in Scottsdale and deal with the same issues.

I wash my car at the end of the day and put it in the garage overnight. I use HD Speed and use a spritz of pad conditioner after every couple of passes. I polish or wax a 2 or 3 foot section at a time and have not had any issues with the polish not removing easily. I clean the pad after every section, so that helps eliminate sling as well.

My car stays outside all the time, so I wax about every three or four months and do a light polish every six months or so to keep the sparkle.

Other than sweating like a lawn sprinkler, no problems.

PaulMys
09-12-2019, 07:07 PM
I'm in Scottsdale and deal with the same issues.

I wash my car at the end of the day and put it in the garage overnight. I use HD Speed and use a spritz of pad conditioner after every couple of passes. I polish or wax a 2 or 3 foot section at a time and have not had any issues with the polish not removing easily. I clean the pad after every section, so that helps eliminate sling as well.

My car stays outside all the time, so I wax about every three or four months and do a light polish every six months or so to keep the sparkle.

Other than sweating like a lawn sprinkler, no problems.

Good advice.

And welcome to AGO. :)

PM5C
09-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Good advice.

And welcome to AGO. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Been lurking for a couple years. Just an old enthusiast :-)

PaulMys
09-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Been lurking for a couple years. Just an old enthusiast :-)

Throw your hat into the ring a little more.

The more experiences we get here, the better the forum gets.

Mike Phillips
09-13-2019, 08:28 AM
This might help,

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/26961-tips-working-warm-hot-weather-direct-sunlight.html)

:)

Mgavin1985
09-13-2019, 09:24 AM
For me I sometimes do mobile detail for friends family the sonax product are the easiest to use in high temps there lubricants are able to handle most situations. Adding water or a quick detailer spritz sounds like great idea but the second there’s to much excess it flings it and makes a mess. I have never had to add it with sonax. Also sonax products wipe easy and release easy from a pad when cleaning. When I use foam pads I use 3-4 per car but with sonax I’m easily using 2 pads and if I was in a jam I could even use 1 pad to polish a car because the sonax doesn’t hunk up as much and I’m able to remove.

I have heard 3D one and megs 110 has excellent lubricants but have not tried either cause I hit a sonax deal and am stocked well once it runs out I would probably buy more sonax products.

Hermes1
09-13-2019, 12:50 PM
I use to live in Phoenix and did my polishing and waxing in the garage where I was out of the direct sun and because I also did not have AC in my garage I waited for October when the temps cooled down to a more acceptable level and did my work in the early morning. I simply refused to do a polish and/or wax job in May, June, July, August and usually September.