PDA

View Full Version : FLEX XC3401 problem

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

gasterus
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi guys,

I wanna share some of my problem with the FLEX XC3401. Use the FLEX for about 30mins for my first polishing session, and during my second polishing session with the FLEX polisher white smoke and dust start to spur from the backing plate before the polisher comes to a complete halt/jammed. I remove the backing plate and find out the part of the backing plate is partially melted/burnt. What the hell happened?

I never expect this to happen to a made in Germany product. Polishing result with FLEX is great, but with this quality problem its not worth the hype. Fortunately, Dwayne of Autogeek is kind enough and helping me make some warranty claims to FLEX, hopefully there is good news to come. Anyone kind of share their experience with the FLEX, not sure what happened to mine? Is it a defective product or just poor quality? FYI, my built date is 01/2008.

Excessive Detail
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I had the same problem with mine, but it didn't stop or melt, I think there is an issue with the backing plate, I noticed it when ever I started to put pressure on it during polishing. I took mine apart and didn't see any melting, but mine still smell likes its burning and throws out dust. I'm just goona keep using mine till it breaks.

AL417
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Follow this for more insight.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/porter-cable-7424-buffing-pad-forum/12158-flex-problems-noooooooooooooo.html?highlight=flex+problem

gasterus
03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Follow this for more insight.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/porter-cable-7424-buffing-pad-forum/12158-flex-problems-noooooooooooooo.html?highlight=flex+problem

Damm...there are some reported issues with FLEX polisher after all. However, I don't recall putting much pressure on the polisher during polishing...basically just resting my hand on the polisher while guiding it along. Now, I do feel a little disappointed with this machine.

gasterus
03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem with mine, but it didn't stop or melt, I think there is an issue with the backing plate, I noticed it when ever I started to put pressure on it during polishing. I took mine apart and didn't see any melting, but mine still smell likes its burning and throws out dust. I'm just goona keep using mine till it breaks.

That's exactly what i experience before the backing plate fails....takes actually less then a minute from the burning plastic smell before it breaks down completely. I do not have the leisure to find a replacement backing plate as I online ordered the machine from AG and has it shipped to Indonesia. Contacted Flex's distributor in Asia, but they couldn't care less about my problem as i did purchase the unit from them :(.

mingraygt
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I think I would be a little upset that anything would be wrong with them. I mean for what they cost there shouldn't be any problems at all!

budman3
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Another user having the same problem with the Flex ... Anthony (OCdetails) on Detailing Forums is another one that had the same thing happen as well. Hopefully Flex will step up to the plate for these issues.

RTexasF
03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry this is happening but it is the very reason I have waited to order. After the initial UDM fiasco (no, I didn't buy one), it occured to me that this just might need some field testing with the new plate. Hopefully there is a fix for what seems to be a design problem.

ZoranC
03-11-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/2655d1205251705-flex-xc3401-problem-img_0264.jpg
Alright, I am confused now. Where is that brownish ring on the backing plate coming from? This is a first time ever I have seen one. Neither of my two XCs has one.

mixxer
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
well we know AG will assist with any quality control problem with new flex.

Al-53
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Alright, I am confused now. Where is that brownish ring on the backing plate coming from? This is a first time ever I have seen one. Neither of my two XCs has one.

it is a felt insert to actually goes in the metal housing...it fits in a circular slot...

I have used mine for a total of 10-12 hours so far on test panels and the shower enclosure..and I just checked the plate to see if i am getting any scruffing like shown and nothing there..I did re-tighten the plate when it arrived as it was not on tight..maybe from the plate replacements they did...

I do not see any need to use any downward pressure also like you do with a PC..I did some nice corrections with just the machine weight...it was heavy marring I induced with a 3m scuff pad....used SIP and 106 and cleared right up and no pressure

AL

gasterus
03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I think I would be a little upset that anything would be wrong with them. I mean for what they cost there shouldn't be any problems at all!

+1

gasterus
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
well we know AG will assist with any quality control problem with new flex.

I hope so...still waiting for Dwayne's reply. Hopefully, he has some fruitful results from FLEX. My build date is 01/2008, which is consider as the newer batch. I hope FLEX corrected all this problem, before sending out more units to customers.

Driven Auto Detail
03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Add me to the list of effected Flex users.

I experienced the same thing this past Friday. I could smell something burning and then shreds of the backing plate started coming off. Today, I tightened the BP so we'll see if that helps any. My BP is noticeably burned though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my Flex came with the newer backing plate. I have a detail tomorrow so I'll see if tightening the BP did any good.

Meghan
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I hope so...still waiting for Dwayne's reply. Hopefully, he has some fruitful results from FLEX. My build date is 01/2008, which is consider as the newer batch. I hope FLEX corrected all this problem, before sending out more units to customers.

Don't wait for his reply he is not on the forum everyday, call him directly in the morning or call me and we will assist you. Sorry for the problems.