PDA

View Full Version : FLEX XC3401 problem

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

mixxer
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Feed back please

russde
06-13-2008, 08:11 AM
A few other folks have said a little oil. I used about ten drops spread over the entire ring, a drop here, a drop there...
I've only had the chance to use mine once so far, but I did use a little (5lbs?) pressure with no problems at all. More experimenting this weekend!
Russ

Full Throttle Speed
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
I just had a converstion with Dave at Powerhouse this morning and I am happy with what he told me. The felt needs to be lubricated, he recommends air tool oil, more that a few drops, If you buy a machine from them this is already done. If you buy it here or somewhere else other than Powerhouse it will need to be done by you or it seems there is a high possibility you will have a failure. They are comfortable with this fix and claim to have had no problems with the machines that have had this done. They are willing to stand behind them and that is OK by me.
Mike

ZoranC
06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
They are willing to stand behind them ...
... and that is very important.

ZoranC
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
... but there are a few issues ...
As I am AR about details I hope you will understand why I have to correct this: There are no few issues (as in more than one), I am aware of only one "issue" (one we are discussing here), I am not aware of any others beside that single one.

ger42
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I think I solved the problem I was having.I did get a new backing plate but decided to sand down the old one. I lubed the felt ring. I took a 1/2" long socket and made the hole in a polishing pad large enough to pass the socket through. Used the socket to center the pad. A perfectly centered pad feels better. Tried it on the car and had no problems. Didn't feel any heat. I'll post my findings when I've run it a few hours.

ZoranC
06-14-2008, 03:34 PM
A perfectly centered pad feels better.
Bingo! Many are forgetting it always will regardless of which polisher is in question and that Flex has balanced XC 3401 VRG for their own 6" pads, not general 6.5" pads, so when using aftermarket pads it is an even bigger imperative to balance them as best as possible. Edge video of their Flex adapter clearly shows how smooth Flex can be when everything is balanced as it should be.

ger42
06-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Bingo! Many are forgetting it always will regardless of which polisher is in question and that Flex has balanced XC 3401 VRG for their own 6" pads, not general 6.5" pads, so when using aftermarket pads it is an even bigger imperative to balance them as best as possible. Edge video of their Flex adapter clearly shows how smooth Flex can be when everything is balanced as it should be.

I got BINGO so what do I win?

ger42
06-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Our "thank you".

At least you didn't say "NOTHING"

BMWguy206
09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
My Flex XC 3401 arrived today and I checked the fastener on the backing plate and it didn't take any effort at all to loosen up. I added a bit of oil on the felt side and tighten up the backing plate. The plate is 5.5in so I take it this is the latest version? Can't wait to use this bad boy.

ScottB
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I would also suggest limiting the pressure you use when using the Flex, it doesnt need it like the PC and might be some of the problem.

Full Throttle Speed
09-10-2008, 08:01 AM
do not over tighten the bolt this causes problems too according to Flex. Put a good amount of oil on the felt it will not hurt anything or "sling" (I have not had any problems) I have laid into mine VERY hard a couple times and had no issues {crosses fingers} I do think it is a great machine
Mike

08 300C
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow, All I had heard about the Flex was rave reviews, I have a Cyclo built in 1953 that was abused at the Fire Department and was in the trash can because the plug was broken. I dug it out and replaced the plug $4.95 and I use all the time.

I'm not a pro and seem to have read that it won’t do Paint Correction like the rotary BUT the prices are not that far off. I would Go Cyclo if I was a newbie, am I missing something?

ScottB
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Wow, All I had heard about the Flex was rave reviews, I have a Cyclo built in 1953 that was abused at the Fire Department and was in the trash can because the plug was broken. I dug it out and replaced the plug $4.95 and I use all the time.

I'm not a pro and seem to have read that it won’t do Paint Correction like the rotary BUT the prices are not that far off. I would Go Cyclo if I was a newbie, am I missing something?

we certainly dont want to raise this battle again, as each machine has its faithful. The power, orbits, adjustibility, and speed sensitive trigger are nice reasons to own a Flex.

08 300C
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I wasn't trying to re-open any old wounds; I was genuinely wondering if the Flex was really the machine I had heard it was. I hadn’t heard about any issues until this post and there seemed to be quite a few with the same issue. Maybe a bad batch?

The reason I asked was because I was thinking of adding a Flex to my arsenal and was wondering if I should or not. The question wasn’t meant to criticize, guess I phrased it incorrectly. You guys are touchy when it comes to your tools. LOL:buffing: