PDA

View Full Version : FLEX XC3401 problem

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
03-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Bud. Is there just one set screw that holds the plate to the mechanism?

Yup, it's one screw at the center of the BP that is recessed to be below the flush line of the BP velcro

conan777
03-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Darn, I used my Flex yesterday and sure enough I started smelling that burning smell and almost had a heart attack thinking that I was burning through paint on an 08 Ashton Martin! Doh! It only happened when I applied some pressure. I just backed off the pressure and it was ok. So can I just tighten the backing plate and that will correct the problem?

gasterus
03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I didn't tighten the BP when i got mine....is that what's causing the premature wear. They should tighten the BP next time they send the units to customers. Its a little ridiculous hoping the customers will tighten the BP without any notice/instructions.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Darn, I used my Flex yesterday and sure enough I started smelling that burning smell and almost had a heart attack thinking that I was burning through paint on an 08 Ashton Martin! Doh! It only happened when I applied some pressure. I just backed off the pressure and it was ok. So can I just tighten the backing plate and that will correct the problem?

Assuming it was loose, that may solve the issue...

Did you tighten it when you received it?

Russecu
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I took my backing plate off when I received mine to check out the gear driven rotation. I then tightened the backing plate screw snuggly. No problems so far.

MadOzodi
03-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice investigative questions MotorCity...I will for sure be tightening down my BP first thing after I receive my Flex.

blkyukon
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
My question to everyone that has had this problem...what kind of pressure are you applying?

When I tested it I applied moderate to heavy pressure (for a few passes) with no ill effect.

Are you applying pressure at an angle/on the side of the pad? There is very little clearance between the BP and machine...I don't think it was designed for heavy pressure.

A few things I noticed with the Flex 3401 is you don't need to add pressure like with a PC/UDM for it to cut...if you need more cut slow down the passes. The direct drive with slower passes will help with the cutting abilities of the machine. I have never felt the need to add more then light/moderate pressure (only at times) and use nothing more then the weight of the machine 95% of the time.

I personally polish with it like I do with a rotary & let the machine speed/pad/polish do the work.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Nice investigative questions MotorCity...I will for sure be tightening down my BP first thing after I receive my Flex.

This is a perfect example of my job traits seeping out into my *private* life...

Sounds like a good plan to all users to tighten the BP when you initially get the machine - to be on the safe side, I plan on checking it prior to each use

ZoranC
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I guess nobody is reading (previous posts I have made on tightening and use of two washers).

Still, can anybody tell me where that brownish tube is coming from as neither of my XCs has it?

MadOzodi
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Did Al's response in post #11 not cover it? I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

blkyukon
03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Still, can anybody tell me where that brownish tube is coming from as neither of my XCs has it?

It looks like this was melted to the backing plate and pulled out of the machine:
http://melncal.com/detailing/pictures/DSC_1761_Edit_1.jpg

MadOzodi
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
^^

Nice pickup blkyukon! Of course, if I had my Flex, I'd have been able to spot that also.

*checks his 12" pythons and compares them to blkyukon's avatar pic and hangs head in shame*

:p

ZoranC
03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Did Al's response in post #11 not cover it? I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.
Weird, following link in my e-mail notifications of new posts took me beyond it, thank you for pointing it out to me.

ZoranC
03-12-2008, 03:45 PM
It looks like this was melted to the backing plate and pulled out of the machine:
http://melncal.com/detailing/pictures/DSC_1761_Edit_1.jpg
Picture is worth a thousand words, thank you for posting it! I have to laugh as I have never closely inspected that area, that felt always appeared to me as teflon-like ring glued onto surface of housing, that is how I was always referring to it. I will now have when I get back home look at it again and finally schedule appointment with optician.

Clearance between plate and housing is, according to Dave from Powerhouse, measured by him as 0.035" (approximately 1/32"). Looking at my two units they both are approximately having that clearance and neither one of them has yet (to knock in the wood) done this. However, both of them have been re-tightened mercilessly moment they have arrived, both of them have been double-washered moment I could, and I always (ever since RO 150 FEQ taught me that lesson) pay attention that there is no tilting / off-center pressure as forced rotation machines (especially of vertical orientation) have mean out-of-control if "edge" of bp gets snagged / digs in.

Still I wish Flex would come up with a way to prevent this. I will have to try to contact them.

mingraygt
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Obviously your perception is incorrect as users HAVE had the need to tighten on receipt - keep in mind the units that were shipped out with the new BP were retrofitted by the vendor and NOT flex.. this retrofit COULD lend itself to loose BP'sThen I think that the VENDOR should have some better quality control.