PDA

View Full Version : M205 Then Straight to Sealant? [ Or Dawn Wash Or IPA Wipedown After M205 ]

Fallguy007
08-09-2019, 11:58 PM
After DA polishing and towling Meguiars 205 off the surface is it pretty much ok to then go straight to sealant?

Or is it recommended to give it some sort of re-wash (dawn) or IPA wipe down as M205 can leave some residue behind?

Thinking/reading the M205 still has some amount of polishing oils (although less than their ultimate series).

P.S.
May do a dawn wash as read many on internet that believe IPA wipe downs are not the kindest things to clear coat (although many do IPA wipedowns).

Instead of Dawn would a regular regular car wash soap remove the M205 oils well enough. Or do many car wash soaps have conditioners or oils in them.

:hungry: for more knowledge

The Guz
08-10-2019, 12:02 AM
After DA polishing and towling Meguiars 205 off the surface is it pretty much ok to then go straight to sealant?

Yes

Or is it recommended to give it some sort of re-wash (dawn) or IPA wipe down as M205 can leave some residue behind?

This optional when it comes to a wax or sealant.

P.S.
May do a dawn wash as read many on internet that believe IPA wipe downs are not the kindest things to clear coat (although many do IPA wipedowns).

Don't bother. No need to go through an extra wash.

acuRAS82
08-10-2019, 04:07 AM
And don’t use Dawn as your oil-cleansing soap. It’s been known to dry paint (only if used often) and leave residue which will then lie between the paint and your sealant, possibly impacting longevity or looks. Better to just leave the beautifying oils instead unless your sealant requests a bare surface (most don’t).

If you were going to wash oils away (although as Guz mentioned, not necessary), I would recommend getting one of the many citrus washes or Mckees Coating Prep Wash. Or a prep spray. These are all better alternatives than Dawn and IPA (although IPA isn’t so bad if diluted correctly and wiped carefully).

Larry A
08-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Just go straight to your sealant. Why play around . A pro detailer can do engine, interior , buff and wax exterior in 4 hours or less.

PaulMys
08-10-2019, 08:16 PM
No Dawn.

Dawn is for dishes.

Straight to your sealant. The problem with all of the info on the internet (i.e. You Tube) is that everyone is an "expert". I know they think they are, but they are not. (This is a general statement, there ARE some good YT vids.)

Here on this forum, there are people that actually know what they are doing.

Why? Because we use the best products and learn from each other. One forum member tries something, posts his/her results, and then.........

You get the idea.

UncleDavy
08-11-2019, 08:42 PM
No Dawn.

Dawn is for dishes.

Straight to your sealant. The problem with all of the info on the internet (i.e. You Tube) is that everyone is an "expert". I know they think they are, but they are not. (This is a general statement, there ARE some good YT vids.)

Here on this forum, there are people that actually know what they are doing.

Why? Because we use the best products and learn from each other. One forum member tries something, posts his/her results, and then.........

You get the idea.

We also have the good fortune of hearing from true professionals like Eldo, Mr. Tommy, Sizzle Chest, Aaryn, Justin and Mike Phillips himself.

PaulMys
08-11-2019, 08:45 PM
We also have the good fortune of hearing from true professionals like Eldo, Mr. Tommy, Sizzle Chest, Aaryn, Justin and Mike Phillips himself.

Eldo is a professional? He's just a guy who likes cats & Meguires. ;)

Just kidding. I really miss Ric. Get well soon my man!!

UncleDavy
08-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Eldo is a professional? He's just a guy who likes cats & Meguires. ;)

Just kidding. I really miss Ric. Get well soon my man!!

I think he likes Cadillacs too.

PaulMys
08-11-2019, 08:54 PM

The hell you say! Lol

57Rambler
08-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Yeah, but no curb feelers ...

Dr Oldz
08-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Go get right to your wax or sealant. I have never had an issue of wax or sealant “falling” off paintwork.

The only time I follow a polish job with a wipe down is when using a coating per the coating manufacturers recommendations. I use their suggested product! For example: Carpro suggest Eraser.

Desertnate
08-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Go get right to your wax or sealant. I have never had an issue of wax or sealant “falling” off paintwork.

The only time I follow a polish job with a wipe down is when using a coating per the coating manufacturers recommendations. I use their suggested product! For example: Carpro suggest Eraser.

Same here. Never had a single problem going from polish strait to sealant or wax.

I'll add another vote to never using Dawn on a car. In addition to not having the sufrance lubricants car shampoos do to help prevent swirls and being really hard to properly rinse off, I've observed it being really hard on black plastic and rubber trim bits. It leaves them with a faded worn appearence.

Fallguy007
08-17-2019, 12:15 AM
Thanks Everyone, saves me one unnecessary step of crazy! Went from polish to sealant (no ipa wipedown, or rewash).