PDA

View Full Version : Paint durability HELP

rst08
08-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately had my white hood repainted back in May and ever since I got it back I've been constantly fighting off bird droppings. They seem to melt and etch my clear immediately no matter what coating or wax I put on the hood. I'm exhausted trying to keep up with the etching and I'm afraid eventually I'll end up rubbing through the clear coat.

Is something wrong with my paint job or has the paint not cured? This has honestly been my worst experience ever with getting anything on a vehicle painted. The clear seems very soft and easily prone to scratches as well.

Any advice will help.

SWETM
08-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Sadly some painters blend the paint thinner to get it easier to paint it without the orange peel and dry paint happens to easy. Then they just need to be worrying about runs of the paint and that's quite easier to do. It can be that the paint quality is also not so great. But it's mostly how the paint is blended. If for an example you mix with a touch of to much hardener you can get a rock hard finish to correct. Then it's not so good to get too much of hardener or to less of it where you have a tipping point where you can call the paint job a paint failure already from the beginning. And it sounds like you have such of experience happens on your repainted hood.

What coating and sealants have you tested so far. And how do you wipe the bird dropping off?

DavidAl
08-10-2019, 01:07 AM
Have you tried FK1000p? That stuff is darn near bullet proof. Collinite 476 is not far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rst08
08-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Sadly some painters blend the paint thinner to get it easier to paint it without the orange peel and dry paint happens to easy. Then they just need to be worrying about runs of the paint and that's quite easier to do. It can be that the paint quality is also not so great. But it's mostly how the paint is blended. If for an example you mix with a touch of to much hardener you can get a rock hard finish to correct. Then it's not so good to get too much of hardener or to less of it where you have a tipping point where you can call the paint job a paint failure already from the beginning. And it sounds like you have such of experience happens on your repainted hood.

What coating and sealants have you tested so far. And how do you wipe the bird dropping off?

For cleaning the hood I soak it in last touch spray detailer and very carefully dry the hood in sections moving the towel top to bottom not to drag dirt across the paint. After the top layer of the bird droppings gone I'll re spray and soak the area up. After it's compleatly gone I'll mist and lightly buff the area and then I see the etching. Sometimes it's just an outline other times it looks to have almost burned/melted the clear.

My approach to correct the etching or bad areas have been meguiars white wax. If it's bad I'll go to m205 or even m105 by hand and then to a DA if absolutely necessary

Ive tried lots of products.

McKeeys 37
McKeeys 37 Sio2 (two coats) topped with beadsmaker
Older Meguiars NXT Paste Wax
Meguiars Ultimate Wax
Mothers Pure Carnuba

Maybe it's my product choices? I'm just lost. Never have had this type of issue.

Below mentioned colinite 476 but at this point if a sealant didn't work should I even give that a shot? Seems like I need to take the vehicle back. This will be the 3rd time getting it fixed. First time they had dirt Nibs in the white, second time they burned the clear.

I'm at the point of asking for my money back so I can have a different shop do it right. On delivery the hood was swirl city. They totally half assed the finishing to hide any imperfections... Just a terrible experience but I can't emphasize enough that I just can keep chasing these bird dropping for the life of my vehicle.

SWETM
08-10-2019, 11:17 AM
It's hard to really know without seeing it and see how it behaves in real life. But with the hassle you have with bird droppings now and that they have had a couple of tries to correct the paint. Have they repainted it 2 times before or just polishing or wet sanding it?

Fk1000p and Collinite 476s and most ceramic coatings is very resistant against the acid in the bird dropping. Or at least so resistant that the etching don't reach the paint and gets easly corrected. The problems many times is the sand birds tends to eat that is in the bird dropping. And when removing with wiping it off so it smears out. You scratch the paint when doing so. So trying to get it off without smear it out is key to a safe removal and get a lot of lubrication from a product while doing so.

Here's a great article written by Mike Phillips. That I think explains a safe way and how to remove a bird dropping.

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/23231-how-safely-remove-dried-bird-dropping.html)

And I would contact the bodyshop again and see if you can get a refund and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Sad to get this trouble and hope you can get solved.

/ Tony

rst08
08-10-2019, 11:53 AM
It's hard to really know without seeing it and see how it behaves in real life. But with the hassle you have with bird droppings now and that they have had a couple of tries to correct the paint. Have they repainted it 2 times before or just polishing or wet sanding it?

Fk1000p and Collinite 476s and most ceramic coatings is very resistant against the acid in the bird dropping. Or at least so resistant that the etching don't reach the paint and gets easly corrected. The problems many times is the sand birds tends to eat that is in the bird dropping. And when removing with wiping it off so it smears out. You scratch the paint when doing so. So trying to get it off without smear it out is key to a safe removal and get a lot of lubrication from a product while doing so.

Here's a great article written by Mike Phillips. That I think explains a safe way and how to remove a bird dropping.

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/23231-how-safely-remove-dried-bird-dropping.html)

And I would contact the bodyshop again and see if you can get a refund and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Sad to get this trouble and hope you can get solved.

/ Tony

The hood was repainted twice. Im almost positive they didnt use color all through out the hood and just blended the problem areas and then cleared. 100% positive im not scratching the paint during removal. The chunk eaisly comes off because of the protection ive used but eats the clear under.

I can have the same bird dropping on my factory finish and flick them off with my nail and polish out with some quick detailer and its a done deal.....

I ordered FK1000P and will document my results. This will be my last effort before going for a a refund. Ill end up going to the manufactures recommended body and making it an insurance job.

PaulMys
08-10-2019, 05:46 PM
The chunk eaisly comes off because of the protection ive used but eats the clear under.

This is confusing. You're saying the droppings are easy to remove because of the protection (meaning it is doing its job), but they are eating into the clear coat?

rst08
08-10-2019, 07:07 PM
This is confusing. You're saying the droppings are easy to remove because of the protection (meaning it is doing its job), but they are eating into the clear coat?

Yes. You arnt the only one confused.

I'm almost positive it's a harder issue with the paint. Droppings don't stick like glue but kill the paint on impact.

PaulMys
08-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Yes. You arnt the only one confused.

I'm almost positive it's a harder issue with the paint. Droppings don't stick like glue but kill the paint on impact.

Wow. Yeah, that sounds like a sub-par paint job for sure.

Keep us posted....