PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 601 Helps or Hinders Layering?

Fallguy007
08-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Will be using Duragloss 601/111. Understand will help with durability & cure time and a surface prep. Will be using the 601/111 (1:4) combo on the first coat for sure. My question comes in when doing additional layers (I may do an extra layer or two).

Label says: 601 "Lossens Oil Wax & Polish" this concerns me that somehow it could hinder layering. Suppose it does not hinder (know Duragloss is a sealant polymer, not wax).

(1.) On subsequent layering is it best to also go with 601/111 combo. Or just use 111 on subsequent layers by itself (with no 601 combo)? I read conflicting info upon my searches?

(2.) Is layering 111 fairly cumulative and worth the extra effort. Or mostly not cumulative, additional layer mostly only insures complete coverage?

Cheers!:xyxthumbs:

P.S. when using the 601/111 in the mix (1:4) how long is sufficient cure time to wait after buffing off before next coat of 601/111

jdgamble
08-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Have you considered the two step process? 601, allow to haze, then 111 on after? I do it this way, and I can’t imagine layering is going to do much for you, other than maybe ensure full coverage. I have 601/111 on my wife’s car, and it’s still working after a year. Just make sure you don’t miss any spots and I think one application is good.

A while back, someone actually measured thickness of sealant layers, and multiple layers don’t really increase thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Klasse Act
08-09-2019, 05:38 AM
Back in the day I added #601 into ALL the DG products (#111, 105 and 101) and used up whatever amount I had in the bottle, usually about 1.5-2.0 ounces, so i would do the car multiple times, including the glass. You see it was said once you mixed them together it had a very short shelf life, atleast that's how I remember it. Maybe I need to go down memory lane at some point and apply this combo, thanks for the thread[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FUNX650
08-09-2019, 08:48 AM
(2.)
Is layering 111 fairly cumulative
and worth the extra effort.

IMO:
No...on both stratagems.

Or mostly not cumulative, additional layer
mostly only insures complete coverage?

^^^Yeah...that’s the ticket, IMO.

Bob

RippyD
08-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Good question about 601 that I've asked myself a few times. As others have said I can't see how you'd get much with layering. If you do I would not use 601 on the top layer. I don't know if 601 adds durability to sealants (need to test this). It does appear to shorten the curing time considerably with no negative impact on durability. That alone makes it worthwhile, imo.