PDA

View Full Version : Soap

spanky1
08-06-2019, 06:24 AM
Hello,

I am looking for some advice on a good neutral ph wash soap or a wax removing soap, a neutral soap would be fine as I can apply a solvent afterwards to remove the old wax.

then I will inspect the virgin paint and decide if a clay step will be needed if not on to the polish/wax step

this is on a 77' corvette dor a show this weekend here in London, Ontario Canada

Thanks for all your time and help

Have a Great Day!!!

:-)

tcope
08-06-2019, 08:19 AM
To determine if claying is needed, simply rub your hand over the paint or place a plastic bag over your hand and rub over the paint. No need to remove wax. A coating of wax is so much thinner then what you'd be removing with clay.

FUNX650
08-06-2019, 10:10 AM
I am looking for some advice on a good neutral ph
wash soap...a neutral soap would be fine as I can
apply a solvent afterwards to remove the old wax.

Meguiar’s Hyper-Wash:
Great Carwash shampoo. Great value.

Meguiars Hyper-Wash is a concetrated car wash for frequent or professional detailing. Super foaming, long lasting car shampoo from Meguiars. (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-hyper-wash.html)

Bob

PaulMys
08-06-2019, 05:51 PM
X2 for Hyper-Wash.

Dr Oldz
08-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Honestly, I wouldn’t trust any soap to remove old wax/sealant. If you want to be 100% sure, I would use at the very least, a paint work cleaner.

spanky1
08-07-2019, 07:36 AM
maybe Mike can chime in,

what if I use a neutral soap and go with a wax/grease remover to strip the old wax off down to the virgin paint and if needed go with a clay step. is an iron remover needed? then to a polishing stage

that I now that I am getting an actual wax/grease removing product

SWETM
08-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Is it a single stage paint or a repainted base coat/clearcoat paint?

It's a little different approach between these paints. For an example the use of a color changing iron remover is avoiding to use. The SS paint is more porous and could be soaking in the color changed run off into the paint. So if the paint don't pass the baggie test I would clay it and polishing it. Some solvents can also be harsh on the SS paints and dull them. So I would not be doing this if you don't get a product suggestion on which is good to use on SS paints. Paint cleaner for SS paint has solvents that are safe on them. But a polishing will clean up the paint at the same time it's bump up the gloss. Either an AIO or polish if the paint don't has any deeper defects on it.

Meguiars Hyper Wash is a great choice for a car soap that leaves nothing behind.

FUNX650
08-07-2019, 08:19 AM
maybe Mike can chime in,

what if I use a neutral soap and go with a wax/grease remover to strip the old wax off down to the virgin paint and if needed go with a clay step. is an iron remover needed? then to a polishing stage

that I now that I am getting an actual wax/grease removing product
IMO...Here’s the deal:

Since you’re thinking about going to great
lengths to “clean the paint”...you should
just go ahead and forget about using
the Wax/grease remover at this stage.

Why? you may ask.
Well, the following steps have shown that
they’ll absolutely take care of getting rid
of any existing Wax on the vehicle. (ie: No
need for more robust/harsher chemicals.)

-Wash the vehicle
-Use an Iron Remover product
-Clay
-Polish

Now you can, in good conscience:
-Apply a coat of Wax

Bob