PDA

View Full Version : How to remove these stains from the rims?

kamisn
08-03-2019, 10:27 AM
I purchased a new Infiniti 3 months ago and dealer had the tires dressed with some cheap material that must have spilled on the rim and stained them, so far my detailer used even some wheel acid with no luck and he did not want to push it more and cause any damage to its clear coat. Only one side, 2 out of 4 wheels are like this, the other two are clean. Can anyone help and let me know what you suggest would be the best way to get rid of these stains?

The Guz
08-03-2019, 12:00 PM
You could try a compound or a polish to see if it helps.

kamisn
08-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Like hand polishing?

howardm4
08-03-2019, 05:24 PM
How is this NOT the dealer's fault (and problem to fix)? They were the ones who used whatever god awful product which caused it.

Yes, Guz meant hand polishing. The Poorboys 'sampler' has 4 small bottles of all their polishes.

PaulMys
08-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Having the dealer try to "Fix" it may very well lead to worse problems.

I would absolutely try and fix this myself.

kamisn
08-03-2019, 07:35 PM
How is this NOT the dealer's fault (and problem to fix)? They were the ones who used whatever god awful product which caused it.

Yes, Guz meant hand polishing. The Poorboys 'sampler' has 4 small bottles of all their polishes.

Yes it’s their fault, but I haven’t brought it up to them yet as I haven’t took it for first service yet but also as PaulMys said they may make it worst or just offer to repaint them which is the last thing I want them to do. I will give the polish a try, I am not sure if it works as it looks like it blended to the paint rather than being on it.

PaulMys
08-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Yes it’s their fault, but I haven’t brought it up to them yet as I haven’t took it for first service yet but also as PaulMys said they may make it worst or just offer to repaint them which is the last thing I want them to do. I will give the polish a try, I am not sure if it works as it looks like it blended to the paint rather than being on it.

If the polish doesn't work, go see the dealer ASAP

Point the problem out, and tell them if they cannot correct it, you want a set of brand new wheels.

Insist on it.

The Guz
08-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Like hand polishing?

Yes this is exactly what I meant. Go to your local auto parts store and get yourself some Meguiar’s ultimate compound. You can work it with a foam applicator or a microfiber towel.

kamisn
08-10-2019, 12:56 PM
I think the stain is actually the paint primer, I tried MUC on a test spot and ended up with some black flake spots which I think is the paint that is gone (the flakes are smooth with no raised/dip edge), now I think the original stains are not really stains, it's the primer that is visible:(. I am so pissed at the stupid dealer's detailing guys :mad:, who does such a stupid thing?! the wheels are $700 a piece.

The Guz
08-10-2019, 01:34 PM
So the compound removed a little of the stain? You may need to step up to some mineral spirits. When I dropped my car off to get painted, the wheels had overspray all over them that mineral spirits was the only thing that was able to remove. The clear coat was intact after all that.

SWETM
08-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Do you think that they have tried to polishing the stains off the rims? And when they noticed as you did that they got either primer or even aluminum residue on the polishing media they used. They just stopped and let them go in the condition they where in and hope for the best for them that is. Sad to get this trouble with a new car. I would insist on new wheels and 4 off them. As they can been lucky on the ones there are no stains on. But they could be have a really thin layer of the powder clearcoat left. When you mentioned that it could be polished. The side of the spokes you could see a trace of it a little. They seen to be a little shinier on the side spokes that you useally sees on polished oem wheels. The powder clearcoat is more dull looking or how to explain it. Hard to say from pictures only but maybe a little easier for you. If you have a stronger led light like an inspection light you may see it easier with the light shine through the paint. Then some manufactures just powder coating the clearcoat right over the aluminum. While others can primer paint it and color and clearcoat powder coat them.

Rsurfer
08-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Quit messing with it and take it back to the dealer before it becomes your fault.

kamisn
08-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Quit messing with it and take it back to the dealer before it becomes your fault.

Yes at this point I don’t want to mess with it anymore. However I am not very hopeful to get anything out of them.

PA DETAILER
08-11-2019, 06:10 AM
If the polish doesn't work, go see the dealer ASAP

Point the problem out, and tell them if they cannot correct it, you want a set of brand new wheels.

Insist on it.

:iagree: