PDA

View Full Version : QD before compounding/polishing?

bigterp
07-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Getting things setup to polish up my wife's '16 Ford Flex. It's in overall good condition, so I'm thinking just a one step polish will be all it needs. A test spot will determine that though. What I'm trying to figure out is a good way to break up the entire process over 2 days. Say I want to wash, clay and Iron X on a Friday evening and then get to the polishing on Saturday morning. Can I have right at it on Saturday with the DA and polish? Or should I use some quick detailer (I use ONR) before I polish? Or will I need to re-wash Saturday morning before polishing? After a wash, clay and Iron X the car will be sitting outside overnight (I do not have a garage). So looking for the best way to tackle the aforementioned. FWIW, I'm not going for a show car finish perfection. Just looking to get the paint back in good shape before LSP (plan is for Collinite 845 with bead maker as a topper).

Paul A.
07-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Depends on how much accumulated on the paint overnight. I like to do a rinse less wash in that case.It's quick, easy and offers a good cleaning so you're machining on clean paint.

bigterp
07-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Depends on how much accumulated on the paint overnight. I like to do a rinse less wash in that case.It's quick, easy and offers a good cleaning so you're machining on clean paint.

Sounds good. Thanks. I have ONR on hand, so that will be easy enough. With a 2.5 yr old and a 4 month old at home it's going to be tough to fit everything into one day.

Paul A.
07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
That's exactly what I use...ONR.