PDA

View Full Version : Rookie w/ a rotary mistake

Alpenglow OSD
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
So the weather forecast didn't show any snow for at least five days... finally! I bought a Makita rotary this winter and decided to give it a shot on my '05 Ranger. I began with an Edge orange pad and Menz FP. The paint wasn't in bad shape to start with, just some minor spider webs. I started with the hood and kept checking the surface and it was barely getting warm (it was only 50 degrees outside). Wiped the hood clean and it looked great. Then on to the front passenger 1/4 panel. Began working and accidently bumped the plastic molding around the wheel well. GROWLLLLL! In a split second, the edge of the pad seared through the paint leaving about an inch long rip. Ouch! After that, my nerves made me switch over to a white pad and I avoided any plastic with great care. All in all, the truck looks very nice, and I learned a valuable lesson. I haven't been swayed from using the rotary, I really like the results, just need some more practice. Completely blows away the PC. I am, however, pondering the Flex. Is the Flex kind of like an intermediate between the PC and a rotary? I'm pretty unimpressed with the PC and the amount of time it takes to get any real results with swirls, yet not comfortable enough to use the Makita on a job.

Oh, and the bug deflector. No before pics, but it was cloudy and grey. Ran the rotary over it with some Menz IP and a 4 inch Green Edge pad. Looks like new! This is the kind of result that will really add the wow factor when a client sees it!

Finished using an acrylic sealant and followed up a day after with S-100. I really like the S-100 for the price. Comes off so easily that I usually wax the entire truck and let it bond before I buff it.

sparkie
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
You done a mighty find job there...Sorry about the fender molding...I have done the same thing with my rotary...I know it suxs....

ScottB
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
If I had a dollar for everyone that has done that with a rotary ... thus why PC's and Flex's are offered for the hobbist, much safer but far more patience is needed too.

Lasthope05
03-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Yup.. that mistake happens to everyone when they first use it. But we all learn the correct ways to tackle the edges through experience...

...Man I wish I picked up a Makita instead of my Dewalt. I used the Makita for the first time last week and it was so much lighter and had an much softer start unlike the Dewalt.

gt_nfr
03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
how did you find a power outlet? I have the problem of not having an outlet in the appt complex, thats what it looks like in you background.

richy
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
That, unfortunately, is part of the learning curve. The upside is correction ability and speed that is unmatched by pc or flex. You just need more practice and mentally stay on task with that monster. I'm usually smoking a stogie when I'm doing it, but I've been at this a long time. The big thing is just keep concentrating.

killrflake
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I may misunderstand your problem with the trim, but could the Edge 2000 pads have made it a little safer around those hard to work areas?

trlblazer3
03-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I may misunderstand your problem with the trim, but could the Edge 2000 pads have made it a little safer around those hard to work areas?

That was my first thought also. I've always been a LC guy, but am currently trying out Edge wool & foams on the rotary to see how I like it. This doesn't make sense to me either.

Alpenglow -The most important part about your whole post is that you learned something out of it and did not instantly get turned off. Keep focused on the task at hand, but don't get too tense/tight. In my experience, I tend to do my best when I'm not fighting the machine, but rather keeping relaxed yet always focused on the section I'm working. All in all you did a very fine job!

Alpenglow OSD
03-12-2008, 02:20 AM
how did you find a power outlet? I have the problem of not having an outlet in the appt complex, thats what it looks like in you background.

I happen to have a garage attached to our unit, most are privately owned condos.

Alpenglow OSD
03-12-2008, 02:34 AM

I was using an orange Edge pad. They are all I own. Very nice because they work on my PC or rotary in a click. The main problem was that the edge of the Edge pad was dry, spinning at 1200 rpms and bumped the plastic molding. Instant paint gone! The orange pad is pretty stiff too. Doesn't give much like the white or green. I actually used the rotary on the plastic as well with a white pad and a little slower, no problems. I did notice the heat built up much faster though. Aside from this mishap, I'm very happy with the results. It is a bigger, heavier machine and just have to use a lot of care. Until I'm completely comfortable with it, I'm just going to stick to the larger, flat areas with the rotary, and use the PC on the undulations and edges.