PDA

View Full Version : "safe scrub" bug & tar pads on entire vehicle (for wax prep)

Wes8398
07-22-2019, 11:52 PM
What's up everyone? I wanted to get opinions on this because I was in a jam the other night, and wound up using my trusty "yellow bug pad" on my entire car, from top to bottom... and I wound up pretty impressed with the results! What happened was that my 1 year old went to bed nice n early, and afforded me the evening to give my fairly new-to-me car (a 2011 Audi S4) a good wash and coat of Collinite 845. The car is white and hides swirls well, but it's obvious to me that it could use a real good correction sometime soon... that'll have to wait though. Anyway... I went to my detailing bag and discovered that I couldn't trust the clay bar that I had in it. So after washing, I decided to go over the whole car again; but this time using my bug sponge (I love these things... they're amazing!). With thick, foamy, warm water and this sponge, I "decontaminated" before the wax application. I was pleased to feel a glassy-smooth surface once I'd finished, and the (hand) application of 845 went without a hitch.
So I'm wondering... what do you guys think about one of these sponges/pads replacing a clay bar? Could it be done? Even though they're "scratch free", could using these pads over the entire car be a BAD thing? Thoughts? Feelings? I wanna hear 'em...

Wes8398
08-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Cool, thanks for the input :)

wing commander
08-10-2019, 01:22 AM
The sponges are scratch free. What causes problems are the things that the sponges rub across your paint. In my case I found the bugs had sap that collected grit from the road and that was the issue. So I had to use a bug remover spray first, then a pressure wash and forget the Yellow sponge on paint that I care about. The sponges are great on metal chrome,unpainted plastic, and glass without a doubt. They are not a replacement for clay.