PDA

View Full Version : Which to use to prep for Gtechniq CSL?

3ismagic#
07-22-2019, 07:06 PM
I'm going to apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and then Evo on top.
I'm trying to decide which of my compounds/polishes to use to prep the paint before applying the coating.

The paint: New BMW in Portimao Blue

the choices
Megs DA microfiber system D300 compound
or
Dodo Juice Lime Prime (cleaner/polish with abrasives)

I will use either Panel wipe or Eraser to wipe any residual oils etc. before applying the coating

I have these two in tool chest already and have used both. the Megs seems like a more aggressive compound. the paint only has some light water spots. no real swirls or marring to speak of.

I want to make sure the coating will adhere properly.

If you had to choose one of these which would you go with?

john b
07-22-2019, 07:48 PM
I would avoid the dodo and use either a regular compound/polish as apposed to a cleaner polish

vobro
07-22-2019, 07:58 PM
If you have a light polishing pad you can use the d300, it's a pretty versatile compound and I've had great success using it as a polish

dcjredline
07-23-2019, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't chose either, I would chose to go to Walmart and get some Ultimate Polish from Meguiars and use that. No need to take more clear off than absolutely necessary with the D300. You didnt mention what pads you will be using cause that can change the game slightly. I think for the $10-12 for the UP you would be way better to your paint.

3ismagic#
07-23-2019, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't chose either, I would chose to go to Walmart and get some Ultimate Polish from Meguiars and use that. No need to take more clear off than absolutely necessary with the D300. You didnt mention what pads you will be using cause that can change the game slightly. I think for the $10-12 for the UP you would be way better to your paint.

Sorry I'll use megs microfiber pads. I think I might have have some ultimate polish lying around.

Desertnate
07-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Microfiber pads seems really agressive for a brand new car. Even the hard paint you'll find on a BMW.

Using nothing but a medium polishing pad (Lake Country white Flat and Thin Pro's) and a mild compound (Blackfire SRC Compound) I was able to correct a seriously swirled out 3-year old black BMW and get it LSP ready in one step. A polish on a milder pad compound should do just fine and not remove too much clear from a brand new car.

Paul A.
07-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Also, I use Eraser to prep wipe my BMW paint before GTechniq coatings and it works fine.

The Guz
07-23-2019, 11:48 AM
I agree with not going straight to compounding. Get yourself a polish and do a test spot. You can find Meguiar’s M205 locally and I would go with that instead of ultimate polish. The reason being less polishing oils to prep wipe.

Calendyr
07-23-2019, 02:28 PM
If you have both, Gtechniq Panel Wipe is definatelly the one I would use. This thing works better than eraser.

As for the polish, the only thing I can tell you is: Do test spots until you are satisfied with the result then do the whole car that way.