PDA

View Full Version : Makita P5000 DA discontinued?

howardm4
07-21-2019, 12:39 PM
I bought a Makita P5000 a year or so ago and I'm surprised to see that it's been discontinued.

Anyone know the backstory as to why?

VISITOR
07-21-2019, 12:59 PM
it hasn't been discontinued, AG just doesn't carry it anymore. in fact, they (makita) just came out with a cordless version...
https://cdn.makitatools.com/apps/cms/img/xop/1edd1fae-03de-4c0f-b9fb-7f9fd3704ae0_xop02t_k_1500px.png

howardm4
07-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Ah, yes. I found some old threads that indicated that it was a 'slow mover' at AG.

Thanks for your response.

FYI: Makita USA - Product Details -PO5000CX2 (https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/PO5000CX2)

Mike@ShineStruck
07-21-2019, 04:11 PM
And the two reason for this...

Detailers are not real dynamic when it comes to brands..they're typically Rupes/flex or nothing.

The other issue are companies like Makita and the other M word brand are more known in the wood / contractor industry and even though they released a better tool.or atleast a tool.that matches current market for less...they don't actually take effort to market towards the detailing industry...they just drop a new product and hope it sells.

I got allot of detailers on the Makita PO5000C wagon, but sales on 3401 and Mille still heavily out weigh Makita simply due to their name as it's synonymous with detailing

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-22-2019, 02:01 AM
I'll be ordering the cordless model soon, outside of a few things I don't like, it's close to exactly what I want. I'm assembling my eco rig which won't have a generator. And don't want to ask customers if I can run an extension cord. I was waiting to see how much the 3401 cordless costs, but I can't even find a release date. It's probably far off.

DirtyCanuck
07-22-2019, 05:56 PM
My Makita rotary is a beast! It absolutely kicks ass. She’s a little heavy but has power to no end. I use it pretty much exclusively for headlight resto, and the odd Polishing job I do on big equipment and stainless tanker trailers.

Mike@ShineStruck
07-22-2019, 06:31 PM
I'll be ordering the cordless model soon, outside of a few things I don't like, it's close to exactly what I want. I'm assembling my eco rig which won't have a generator. And don't want to ask customers if I can run an extension cord. I was waiting to see how much the 3401 cordless costs, but I can't even find a release date. It's probably far off.
The cordless XCE is going to correct slower
They stepped down the RPMs from 480 to 430..
If it still has 10 orbits..then it went down from 4800 to 4300

oneheadlite
07-22-2019, 08:45 PM
The other issue are companies like Makita and the other M word brand are more known in the wood / contractor industry and even though they released a better tool.or atleast a tool.that matches current market for less...they don't actually take effort to market towards the detailing industry...they just drop a new product and hope it sells.

I keep hoping the other M word will add a cordless DA to their wide tool offering. Love every one of their tools I have. Don’t really Need one, but boy I don’t know if I could help myself if they released one...
Be nice since I’ve already got a stack of batteries from other tools.