PDA

View Full Version : Not quite there.

FMW
07-20-2019, 11:06 AM
My wife brought her brand new Outback home with some supermarket parking lot rash. In a right rear plastic panel was a streak of white paint and some scratches and paint chips. I applied some cleaner and got the streak of white paint off. I then applied some touch up paint and made things look worse than they did before. Finally I took out the angle buffer and cutting compound and used it to remove all the touch up paint and scratches. What is left are some chips that have been colored to match the dark gray paint probably thanks to the cutting compound. So it looks a lot better now but I wouldn't mind filling those chips. I'll read the tips here on the site but my question is can I get a fairly invisible result or should I just accept that I'm probably close enough? Everything looks great from 10 feet away. Satisfactory? Thoughts?

DirtyCanuck
07-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear about the parking lot injury. Lol

Honestly, if it where me I wouldn’t worry to much more about it. Chips aren’t easy to get perfect.

If it looks good from 10’ I think your winning for a daily driver. The more it goes to parking lots the more dings you’re gonna get. Lol. Seems like that’s just a fact of life these days. I always park waaaay at the back of the parking lot by myself, but when I come out of the store there’s nearly always someone parked right beside me.

FMW
07-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear about the parking lot injury. Lol

Honestly, if it where me I wouldn’t worry to much more about it. Chips aren’t easy to get perfect.

If it looks good from 10’ I think your winning for a daily driver. The more it goes to parking lots the more dings you’re gonna get. Lol. Seems like that’s just a fact of life these days. I always park waaaay at the back of the parking lot by myself, but when I come out of the store there’s nearly always someone parked right beside me.

I had pretty much come to the same conclusion. It is just frustrating to see this on a car with only 650 miles. Thanks for the response.