PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning tires and rims

Pages : [1] 2

animescreen
07-15-2019, 08:52 PM
I was wondering if , if anyone who cleans or tires or rims take the wheels off using jacks and then put it back. I dont plan on doing this each week but more like once a month? I feel i can get to the crevices better and then clean inside the wheel base. or surrounding areas. Just need recomendations on power tools to remove the lugs fast (ones that don't really scratch the lugs too since I'll be getting colored lugs. Is there like inside rubber coating to remove lugs?

vobro
07-15-2019, 11:18 PM
Your local chiropractor will love this method, there's plenty of brushes that can fit in crevices and clean the entire inner wheel barrel. You'll need to find the right set because BMW's kick out a lot of brake dust

animescreen
07-16-2019, 02:00 AM
That’s true cause I already see flakes. Guessing if you don’t clean them well it gets harder later as keeps piling. Not sure if taking wheel off and on is smart due to safety ( unless I get auto torque wrench) lol any recommendations lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyCanuck
07-16-2019, 08:16 AM
If your cleaning a car to go to a show, or the barrels need actual polishing then I take the wheels off.

Other than that, just buy a good set of wheel woollies, including one with a flexible handle, and a set of detailing brushes for lug nuts and super tight spots.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Just to chime in,

If your cleaning a car to go to a show, or the barrels need actual polishing then I take the wheels off.

Other than that, just buy a good set of wheel woollies, including one with a flexible handle, and a set of detailing brushes for lug nuts and super tight spots.

This :iagree:

I clean a LOT of wheels and tires.

Machine scrub tires
Wheel Woolies and Speedmaster Wheel Brush for wheels
Use GREAT products - great tire cleaner and a great wheel cleaner

I must have hundreds of pictures showing how I clan wheels and tires. Great tools and products enables you to do this job well in the shortest amount of time.

:)

Desertnate
07-16-2019, 11:37 AM
A good set of brushes are critical to keeping your wheels in good shape. The other side of that equation is actually cleaning them frequently so there isn't a buildup of brake dust and grime which can permantely damage the wheels.

For most of my family fleet, I simply wash them as often as needed. On my car I swap out winter/summer wheels each year, so the set coming off the car gets a deep cleaning before being stored for the season.

animescreen
07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

I don’t go car shows but would you say taking tire of at least twice year to fully clean is not bad idea (more or less? What do you think

I know some gunk of stuff hissing in wheel well lol

DirtyCanuck
07-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Not a bad idea at all as long as your set up with a proper jack and jack stands so you can do it safely.

mckobe
07-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Only time i would be jacking up wheels is if i had a shop

DMW
07-16-2019, 05:27 PM
For my personal vehicles, I clean the wheels and tires up very thoroughly when its time to rotate the tires. I'm not going to take them off just to clean, but while they're already off, why not?

animescreen
07-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Not a bad idea at all as long as your set up with a proper jack and jack stands so you can do it safely.

Jack stands somehow give me the creeps like it’s gonna collapse or something. Has anyone have Horror stories of it collapsing. Especially like some compact suv I have . My mazda3 before was hatchback but my x3 is heavier now

animescreen
07-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Only time i would be jacking up wheels is if i had a shop

Due to danger or just hassle?

Doesn’t shops with hydraulic lifts but dangerous I saw some collapse etc

animescreen
07-17-2019, 11:47 AM
For my personal vehicles, I clean the wheels and tires up very thoroughly when its time to rotate the tires. I'm not going to take them off just to clean, but while they're already off, why not?

When should you rotate tires? And do you use a automatic torque wrench? I’m looking to buy one (I don’t have compressor though)

Also my lugs will be colored so are there sockets that have some padding inside to protect scratches of pugs?

DMW
07-17-2019, 04:26 PM
When should you rotate tires? And do you use a automatic torque wrench? I’m looking to buy one (I don’t have compressor though)

Also my lugs will be colored so are there sockets that have some padding inside to protect scratches of pugs?

Most people recommend rotating at 6k mile intervals. I'm not sure what an 'automatic' torque wrench is, but yes, I do torque mine down to 100 ft/lb.

If you have a couple buckets, it's pretty convenient to put the wheels on them as shown here.

animescreen
07-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Looks like your selling tires lol

Is putting tire on and off pretty complicated

Meaning if one screw up tire can wobble and get lose

Automatic torque wrench where those guys who are roadside assistance carry portable drill type thing and remove wheels etc. I don’t wanna remove or put back via regular hand wrench