PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent leather seats from looking like this

Pages : [1] 2

animescreen
07-14-2019, 11:42 PM
So I have x3 2019 bmw and leather seats are great. However, I worry that i till turn out like this eventually https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1519423/size/tl-horizontal_main_2x.jpg

I mean I went to amazon and saw this to maintain
(Link Removed)

Coming from cloth seats , this is all new to me .

So if I just basically do that and vaccum will it be good throughout life of my car?

I don't drive this car as daily driver but when I do , i sometimes do computer work in the car parked somewhere with view and get comfy. Meaning some areas get more pressued then others in the seats as opposed to sitting down regular and driving. (This won't occur a lot as I probally will drive like 8k miles a year or below. So questions

1. Sitting awkwardly pose any issues of weird indentation etc.. (As mentioned won't be doing it often just when catching up with some work and wanna drive)

2. Is the above link all I need to take care of these seats? (if any other products or maintenace is required I'm all for it! Just not sure what to do

3. So when I go play tennis or something and my shirt is bit sweaty and forget extra shirt etc.. will the sweat etc do any damage?

4. Is it adviced i get some covers or should be ok. I don't like covers but if it preserves it im all for it

Since I usually drive solo and other seats aren't gonna be used much, I am concern mostly about driver side.

Any tips would be great.

sudsmobile
07-15-2019, 01:07 AM
Advice? Yeah, try not to let your car get to be 100 years old. LOL

sudsmobile
07-15-2019, 01:10 AM
Clean and condition the seats a couple times a year. Then trade the car in 3-4 years. Honestly, you're overthinking it a little. I'm sure the product you listed is fine, but there's better products available as Chemical Guys is typically pretty overpriced for what it is.

animescreen
07-15-2019, 01:22 AM
Clean and condition the seats a couple times a year. Then trade the car in 3-4 years. Honestly, you're overthinking it a little. I'm sure the product you listed is fine, but there's better products available as Chemical Guys is typically pretty overpriced for what it is.

I noticed chemical guys is not overpriced but seems they got good reviews on this . If there is something please chime in

3 to 4 years is it gonna start showing creases etc. ? These seat seems bit sturdy and not bouncy leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudsmobile
07-15-2019, 01:40 AM
BMW leather typically starts looking a little worn at 3-4 years. Obviously, YMMV based on your driving habits, mileage, local temps, garaging status, your weight, etc. Many factors will determine how your leather will wear. My wife drives only to and from work at night and in the moring, parks in the garage during the day and weighs 100 lbs. Her leather seats in her 2013 look like brand new every time I clean them.

As far as Chemical Guys, their products are typically overpriced, but as you said this product looks affordable.

Klasse Act
07-15-2019, 05:29 AM
Griot's Garage makes GREAT leather products across the board, been using them for years. That said, I bought Connelly leather cleaner from the clearance store here and use that as a cleaner, it's very concentrated. To keep my seats protected in my newish car is Gyeon Leather, incredible product, they even have an actual coating for the leather as well[emoji362]

Spending a little bit more on quality will make a difference, plus doing it a couple times a year[emoji118][emoji931]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FUNX650
07-15-2019, 07:25 AM
So I have x3 2019 bmw and leather seats
are great. However, I worry that i till turn
out like this eventually
https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1519423/size/tl-horizontal_main_2x.jpg

Any tips would be great.

In an effort to reduce your consternation
regarding the care of your particular BMW’s
leather appointments, I’ll suggest you choose
from one of the following product lines:

1.) Leather Masters {labeled as:
“for aniline and protected leathers”.}
2.) BMW (branded) Leather Care Set
{contact dealership.}

Bob

Klasse Act
07-15-2019, 07:32 AM
I forgot about Leather Masters, great products! It's been quite some time since I used them.

Bobby B.
07-15-2019, 08:12 AM
I like to use the Blackfire Leather Complete on new leather. Quickly clean & protect your leather seats in just one easy step.

BLACKFIRE Leather Complete (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-leather-complete.html)

animescreen
07-15-2019, 10:01 AM
BMW leather typically starts looking a little worn at 3-4 years. Obviously, YMMV based on your driving habits, mileage, local temps, garaging status, your weight, etc. Many factors will determine how your leather will wear. My wife drives only to and from work at night and in the moring, parks in the garage during the day and weighs 100 lbs. Her leather seats in her 2013 look like brand new every time I clean them.

As far as Chemical Guys, their products are typically overpriced, but as you said this product looks affordable.

So I’m 145lbs
driving habit (not sure what you mean)
Garage daily (personal home)
I would say it will be about 250 to 350 mile a week

How often did you clean them? What a nice husband to clean for wife lol

But didn’t know bmw seats wore out so soon. That sucks. Do any car covers prevent any of these ? As mentioned I sometimes sit little awkward when doing emails in car from laptop for comfort so think if there is some sort of cushion cover that contours to the seat my awkward seating will impact the cushion not the seats

animescreen
07-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Griot's Garage makes GREAT leather products across the board, been using them for years. That said, I bought Connelly leather cleaner from the clearance store here and use that as a cleaner, it's very concentrated. To keep my seats protected in my newish car is Gyeon Leather, incredible product, they even have an actual coating for the leather as well[emoji362]

Spending a little bit more on quality will make a difference, plus doing it a couple times a year[emoji118][emoji931]

So basically you need a wash and some coating right? I thought I just needed voting but makes sense how I will get rid of dirt etc

animescreen
07-15-2019, 10:10 AM
I like to use the Blackfire Leather Complete on new leather. Quickly clean & protect your leather seats in just one easy step.

BLACKFIRE Leather Complete (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-leather-complete.html)

I like this type of idea

But how effective is it compare to actual 3 step process

Clean
Conditition
And dressing

It will cut time but not sure of actual results

vobro
07-15-2019, 05:14 PM
I like this type of idea

But how effective is it compare to actual 3 step process

Clean
Conditition
And dressing

It will cut time but not sure of actual results

The condition is the dressing. Also are you sure you have leather as it's an option? Most of the ones I detail have a leatherette seats called SensaTec,same care as leather but seem to wear better. An easy way to tell is if you have contrast stitching it's leather, same color seats and stiching is the SensaTec

Mike Phillips
07-15-2019, 05:20 PM
My experience is the only way you can avoid the appearance of wearing is to not "wear" the leather i.e. don't sit in the seats or drive the car.

Because that's not an option (for most people), accept that the high wear areas ARE going to show wear. It's normal.

:(

vobro
07-15-2019, 05:43 PM
My experience is the only way you can avoid the appearance of wearing is to not "wear" the leather i.e. don't sit in the seats or drive the car.

Because that's not an option (for most people), accept that the high wear areas ARE going to show wear. It's normal.

:(

Haha so true, what's difficult with the "premium brands" is most people think it'll last forever. I've owned and detailed my fair share of BMW's and do believe that their materials are mostly of good quality and seem to wear down less but everything you touch or is exposed to weather will eventually wear down. The leather option on the X3 starts at $1700 and most of the ones I've seen are leatherette which do wear better