PDA

View Full Version : Best clay mitt / towel?

HAMBO
07-14-2019, 04:15 PM
After about 5 years my SM Arnold Speedy Surface prep towel seems to be losing it's effectiveness. Pretty happy it's latest this long.

Looking for a new clay mitt or towel. Haven't had any problems with the Speedy Surface one, but it's one of the pricier ones and a lot of new ones have come out since I bought this one. Any recommendations (or all they all pretty much the same anyways)?

Thanks!

HAMBO

Coatingsarecrack
07-14-2019, 05:00 PM
After about 5 years my SM Arnold Speedy Surface prep towel seems to be losing it's effectiveness. Pretty happy it's latest this long.

Looking for a new clay mitt or towel. Haven't had any problems with the Speedy Surface one, but it's one of the pricier ones and a lot of new ones have come out since I bought this one. Any recommendations (or all they all pretty much the same anyways)?

Thanks!

HAMBO

I used the Griots brilliant shine clay sponge. Was about 25$ and it worked amazing. Would highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
07-14-2019, 05:04 PM
I used the Griots brilliant shine clay sponge. Was about 25$ and it worked amazing. Would highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Griot's as well, and the Nanoskin sponges.

I find these way easier to use compared to a mitt. JMO.

dennis hiip
07-14-2019, 05:23 PM
These are sold on eBay from China. Only a few dollars and they work.

mckobe
07-14-2019, 06:09 PM
I use the blue mitts. They cover more area, so it's quicker

The Guz
07-14-2019, 07:01 PM
How about the blackfire clay mitt. Seems like a good alternative for the price. I have used the Griot's mitts which are nice.

Here is a review by one of our forum members.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/121478-review-blackfire-clay-mitt.html?highlight=blackfire+clay+mitt

Kaban
07-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Have you guys found any of these "clay pads" or "clay mitts" that do not mar the living crap out of the paint?

A few years ago, we strictly used the Nanoskin round decontamination pads (around 6-7" diameter if I had to guess) with a velcro backside designed to use on a DA. We used them by hand since DA was far too aggressive. Used Nanoskin Glide as lube at recommended dilution.

We went back to clay bar because those pads are just way too rough and marred the paint beyond belief. It wasn't a big problem since the cars got a full correction anyways, but on a 1-stage or lighter polishing services, the marring caused by the pads was too deep to remove.

Clay bar, although time consuming is very gentle in comparison and does a better job at removing stubborn specs in the paint.

Now there are so many brands of these decontamination pads and towels, I kinda want to try something but don't want to waste money if they are all this aggressive. Any suggestions?

Jayfro
07-14-2019, 08:42 PM
I have the Blackfire Clay Mitt, the Fine version. I used it on my Black Acura, my wife's X3, and my daughters boyfriends black Mercedes C250, all with no marring. You may want to check it out.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Kaban
07-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Thanks Jay