PDA

View Full Version : Customer’s Truck Arrives Muddy

Pages : [1] 2

Eric7810
07-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Hey there guys,

I am relatively new to detailing, I do it one Saturday a month by word of mouth.

I agreed to do an electrician’s company truck in exchange for $250 worth of electrical work on my house, plus he kicks in $150 cash.

We agreed to a wash, AIO, wax, and dressings. During the wash, I discovered the undercarriage was caked with mud. I pulled out wheat stalks, mud clumps, etc. I wasn’t upset, it’s a work truck, but admittedly I didn’t budget this into my estimate. It took three hours to complete the wash.

Can you guys help with a few simple questions that crossed my mind... Am I crazy for cleaning this truck this thoroughly for an AIO job? There was no way I was going to leave it there once I discovered it, but I simply wasn’t expecting this big of a job.

Should I chalk this up as a lesson learned and do a better job estimating and budgeting my work?

Have you ever estimated a job, received the vehicle, and then you billed them a little more for the unexpected condition it was in, and the extra labor needed?

The customer will be over the moon when he sees this thing, it turned out very nice, but I’m left wondering where the line is for doing TOO much on a job that was requested I do a ‘quick buff on her’.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190713/bd27b4b00dff3a49dcb96cbaef45e89e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190713/eaab40c2e93f5ec1391ad8cd991cbab7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudsmobile
07-12-2019, 08:57 PM
You chalk it up to a lesson learned and I guarantee you it won't happen again. Every person that has started this business from scratch has been beaten by a job or ten. It's part of any business really.

Honestly, the time for adding extra charges for services was when you first discovered it. Call the guy up and tell him what's what. Hiding behind an invoice now is not a professional way to approach the situation. Just as you wouldn't want him giving you a quote for electrical work and then handing you a bill for double without addressing it with you first.

FUNX650
07-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Should I chalk this up as a lesson learned
and do a better job estimating and budgeting
my work?

Don’t ever stick your neck out—by giving a
quote for any detailing job—sight unseen.

Bob

IH8SPM
07-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Never work trades that are not CLEAN.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Calendyr
07-12-2019, 11:28 PM
I never charge extra unless I have arned the customer about it before hand. And that is a very rare thing for me.

The way I see it, it's my job to inspect the vehicle before I ask the client to sign the work order. If it's something that could not have been noticed because the vehicle was dirty or something, I would call the customer, explain the issue and ask him what he wants to do (pay for resolving the issue or just leave it as it is).

For cleaning mud, I don't understand why that would be an extra. You pressure wash it off and wipe clean during the wash... 5 minutes more?

The typical real issues usually are: Pet hair, stains, salt on the carpets. On those you could be working and extra hour or two if the conditions are bad. So for things like that, I would absolutely charge extra.

You should also give yourself some slack when quoting a job. If you think it will take 3 hours, quote for 3.5 or 4. There are always hickups that will take a little more time. Same for time estimates always tell the customer it will take more time than it does... I did not use to do that when I first started and twice a customer had planned stuff to do right at the time I told him I should be done... and following Murphy's law, on those jobs there were tons of things that took extra time ... now I give them an estimate with 1 extra hours. And sometimes I still go over that when some of the aspects take much long. Like last week... client told me there were about 5 or 6 scratches to remove before polishing and coating... turned out there were about 30. And the salt in the car that was supposedly fresh from this winter... it also had a layer that he was not able to remove the previous year... So the 12 hours job turned into 15 ;(

Dr Oldz
07-13-2019, 12:38 AM
I charge more for a wash and spend more time/do a better job than other “detailers” premium package. That being said, I’m booked solid. ....... charge accordingly and don’t t sell yourself short

mckobe
07-13-2019, 02:20 AM
My prices start at
I have to see it
Do a walk around with the customer of their vehicle inside and out

Billy Baldone
07-13-2019, 06:15 AM
I am curious why you are using an AIO and waxing on top of it?

2wookies
07-13-2019, 08:46 AM
I am curious why you are using an AIO and waxing on top of it?

If its a quality AIO, I'd skip the wax. Make up the time spent on mud removal with skipping the wax.

mckobe
07-13-2019, 01:33 PM
If its a quality AIO, I'd skip the wax. Make up the time spent on mud removal with skipping the wax.

what's a quality AIO? I use speed with colli 845 to top off

Eric7810
07-13-2019, 02:11 PM
I do it because it was an idea somebody gave me, and I love the results. I know, based on AG forum discussions, that not everybody agrees with it.

I use HDSpeed and 845

PaulMys
07-13-2019, 05:35 PM
I do it because it was an idea somebody gave me, and I love the results. I know, based on AG forum discussions, that not everybody agrees with it.

I use HDSpeed and 845

Yup. This seems to really cause a big argument on here. I have tried a bunch of polishes (205, Griot's CC, and others). Do they perform? I think that they do a fine job. But.......

I use Speed because as a light polish because (at least for me), nothing works as easy, and it leaves the paint insanely slick.

To me, I don't care that Speed has protection in it. It just works SO GOOD.

I then top it with 476.

fly07sti
07-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Just as many others have already said, don’t quote without seeing the vehicle first. And as far as the topping of an AIO job, I personally would not top it with something like 845. If I want it to add some more durability, I’d use something like UFF. It’s much faster and won’t stain any trim.

2wookies
07-14-2019, 08:14 AM
If it were me, I'd skip 845 on that vehicle. If that's your go to for details keep goin, but if you've lost time by removing more mud than you thought call it done.

HD Speed is good, there's some others that have really jumped ahead though.

BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-polish-seal.html)

CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer 500 ml (https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-essence-xtreme-500.html)

Billy Baldone
07-14-2019, 09:32 AM
That is why I was genuinely curios. How long does the Speed protection actually last that you need to add a wax/sealant after it? Shouldn't HD polish+ give the same cut, if not more than Speed?