PDA

View Full Version : Color Mismatch

Pages : [1] 2

TheMikeskies
07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
I had to have my hood resprayed due to damage caused by rock chips. The car is less than a year old. I noticed as I was hand washing my car this weekend that the repainted hood does not match the rest of the vehicle. When I brought this to the attention of the repair shop, I was given several excuses, told that the color difference was due to: (1) metal vs plastic, and (2) factory vs repair shop paint. I am having a hard time accepting that statement, and I believe that: (a) the wrong color code was used, (b) the right color code was used but the paint was mixed incorrectly, (c) the paint was mixed correctly but was applied incorrectly. or (d) the pain was mixed and applied incorrectly. The original color is Scarlet Ember, which appears as scarlet red to burgundy depending on lighting conditions. The repainted hood appears pinkish red.

The repair shop contact said if he repainted the hood, it would end up looking the same. I'm looking to articulate for how to articulate what went wrong, and either get a refund and go elsewhere or attempt to get it redone. Pictured attached, showing before and after colors. This is a comparison between lip of hood (repaint, lighter) and top of bumper (original paint, darker).

FUNX650
07-10-2019, 05:18 PM
That boils down to a plain ol’ piss-poor
color match by the painter.

And considering all of the B.S. they’ve
thrown your way...I’d take it elsewhere
for the re-spray.

Bob

PaulMys
07-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Bob is right. I deal with our local Body/paint shop all the time.

I have never even heard of all the BS excuses they gave you.

Get your money back and go to a shop that has people with actual experience, not hacks with excuses about why their work sucks.

I'd be beyond pissed.

Bruno Soares
07-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Geez, that’s not even close. Shady body shop.

TheMikeskies
07-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Geez, that’s not even close. Shady body shop.

The body shop is apparently the top-rated location in my region, and is used by all dealers in the area.

Bruno Soares
07-10-2019, 07:12 PM
The body shop is apparently the top-rated location in my region, and is used by all dealers in the area.

In that case I’d ask them to try again. If it’s just as bad maybe file a dispute with credit card, that difference in color is not acceptable.

TheMikeskies
07-10-2019, 07:19 PM
In that case I’d ask them to try again. If it’s just as bad maybe file a dispute with credit card, that difference in color is not acceptable.

I also had them do window tinting and install paint protection film on the front of the hood to prevent future damage from rock chips, but that work has its own deficiencies (e.g. bubbles and contaminants in the tint, contaminants in and misalignment of the PPF). This transaction has been a disaster. I don't trust them to fix anything correctly at this point. Lesson learned, I guess.

PaulMys
07-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Anyone (or shop) can have a bad day. Nobody is perfect.

It is the excuses they gave you that have me wondering.

Metal vs. Plastic? Seriously??

Factory vs. repair shop?? Unreal. They have access to the same exact paints. In fact, that is pretty much why there is a paint code system.

And the tint/PPF debacle is the icing on the cake.

Shoddy place at best. JMO

VISITOR
07-10-2019, 08:59 PM
when our 17' sportage got repainted (back bumper replaced) i could tell the paint was off a shade. as months went by washing it and examining it closely it wasn't to my satisfaction even more. when we picked it up (Dad was in a rush to get it back), the edge of the panel seams were touched up with paint on both sides where the bumper and rear quarter panels meet and looks like they used a pry tool to jam fit it into place. the guy who helped us said that at anytime if we weren't satisfied we could bring it back and he'll give us a rental free of charge. my Dad is impatient so he'll probably say just to leave it. me personally, i would take it back until it's dayum near perfect. also, if anyone gets a repaint... ask for a small bottle of touch up paint after they are done which they should provide for free...

WRAPT C5Z06
07-10-2019, 09:29 PM
That boils down to a plain ol’ piss-poor
color match by the painter.

And considering all of the B.S. they’ve
thrown your way...I’d take it elsewhere
for the re-spray.

Bob

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
07-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Yeah the probably didn’t mix right. Plastic or metal once primed shouldn’t matter. Unfortunately in the papers you signed when you picked up usually release company if issues. With excuses they were giving I wish you good luck.

TheMikeskies
07-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Thank everyone for the opinions. I am going to request a full refund, and if that is declined, I will pursue a credit card chargeback. I do not trust them to properly remedy the work. In addition to the excuses provided, they offered to repaint my fender the wrong colour to match the paint on the hood for free to "blend" the adjacent panels. In addition, I believe they are lying to me that the vertical contours of the hood where it meets the fender was even painted, as this paint still matches the original exactly. They pointed to this match as proof that the correct colour was used. If that was the case, how could the top of the hood be so off?

Mike Phillips
07-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Letting them have another chance is kind of a crap shoot. They have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. There is no "close". So it's either right or wrong.

Even with all the best technology available to body shops now days, I think color matching is still difficult to get 100% perfect. It's my biggest concern when I have to deal with it.

Also for everyone reading this into the future, this is the original and primary function of lights from

SCANGRIP Lights (https://www.autogeek.net/scangrip-detail-lights.html)

SCANGRIP didn't get into the "car detailing" business or industry, it just so happens their lights work good for us. SCANGRIP lights are and were primarily developed to provide accurate light for color matching.

From the SCANGRIP website (https://www.scangrip.com/en-gb/products/specialized-work-lights/paint-industry/sunmatch-3-1)

Lighting solutions for the painting industry
Being the most comprehensive and sophisticated of its kind in the world, the new generation SCANGRIP lights for the painting industry are made for colour matching, detailing and general paint work and are usable everywhere a painted surface needs inspection.

Maybe tell the painter about SCANGRIP lights and give them this link,

SCANGRIP Sunmatch 3 (https://www.autogeek.net/scangrip-sunmatch-3.html)

I think all body shops would benefit from a professional tool like this simply to "help" avoid issues like the OP is sharing here.

:)

yakky
07-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Dealers never use the best shop, just cheapest or best kickback. Good shops don't work with most dealerships and some don't even take insurance jobs.

MattPersman
07-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Problem with trying to get a chargeback is they essentially have offered to fix it which is what you are seeking/requesting so the credit card company will take their side likely

They have a 50/50 chance. They know you are gonna be seeking perfection. My thought is Have them redo it and if it’s not what you want don’t take the car back have them either then refund you or figure out how to make it to your satisfaction. Also would be asking them for a complimentary loaner/rental car during their redo work as a going the extra mile gesture