PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer scare!!! Has this happened to you? NEED TIPS TOO

animescreen
07-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Ok Rookie mistake. Haven't used pressure washer much (did before with electric pressure washer for screen printing but not a car). And now I have a honda gas powered one which is powerful and loud. The loudness seems like it will wake neighbors (so I do it in afternoon when most neighbors are at work. But one time did it 9am on Sunday lol). Anyways, feel washer will blow up or something but will get used to that. The problem I had was changing foam gun to the tip. When inserting the original nozzle tip back , I didn't secure it tight enough and when I pointed the tip and squeezed the trigger to rinse, it made lout popping noise and shot the tip into the back of my new x3 bmw. I was so fortunate and lucky it didn't hit the paint and seemed like I dodged a bullet. Checked the glass and glad it didn't shatter as well. It was only really tiny mark and can't tell. I felt it and has slight (very very slight) indent and probally like .2 or mm? like couple dots. Anyways, Was bummed about it but windows are tinted and has good memory of getting shot at by a pressure washer hahah

If it hit the paint, I think it would make a larger mark and definetly deeper scratch. Plus thought the pressure washer exploded (my other fear lol).

Anyways rookie mistake, please share your rookie mistake with pressure washer so I can be more cautious.

Is it bad idea to move around the pressure washer why it's on? Trying to get access to all corners of the car washing.

VISITOR
07-10-2019, 11:49 AM
even if i have a spray nozzle attached beforehand, i will take it off and snap it back on before i start to use it. just piece of mind to make sure it' secure and that i don't encounter what you did. another thing for new pressure washer owners, if you aren't sure how close to have the wand near the paint, take your other hand and hold it away while spraying and slowly bring it in before it feels uncomfortable. doing this will give you a general idea how close you can come without causing damage...

grovlet
07-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Electric ones do that as well - I had one fly off once - and from then on, after swapping tips or first use - I always point the gun in safe direction and test it first.

Makes a crazy sound and definitely has some velocity - so worth a little extra caution to be safe and test first.

animescreen
07-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Electric ones do that as well - I had one fly off once - and from then on, after swapping tips or first use - I always point the gun in safe direction and test it first.

Makes a crazy sound and definitely has some velocity - so worth a little extra caution to be safe and test first.

So did it hit anything? I'm still relief that it didn't hit the paint. would have been easily distinguisable ding.

animescreen
07-10-2019, 05:37 PM
ok so couldn't visualize or know you meant here but about how many feet away is safe?

so has there been instances where you secure it and test it.. Then after washing it blows off... cause after that happened my mind kept wanting to rush the job.. lol

By the way i do middle range spray not like laser beam strength nor super wide.. Is this idea for car wash?