PDA

View Full Version : Any baseball fans on AGO?

PaulMys
07-09-2019, 08:59 PM
If there are, how many of you are sick of these All Star breaks in July?

I get the premise, but it has become a huge (commercialized) distraction/interruption to an otherwise flowing season for many teams.

I am a Yankees fan. Aaron Judge won the 2017 HR derby, and wasn't the same player for a month after the break.

I still believe the concentration on easy pitches that week contributed to it.

Ok, rant over. Lol

eaglefan
07-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Huge baseball fan, bigger football fan. HR derby messes guys up because they are trying to hit HRs every swing. Therefore, their swings change. Try to lift the ball instead of being on plane with the pitch. Speed of the pitches are basically the same as BP.
162 games is a lot of games, I understand the break.
Im a lifelong Phillies fan and they needed the break, 9 guys from the bullpen are on the IR. Need those guys back quick!

Couple months ago I knocked my direct tv down to the most basic, no ESPN!! Prices are out of control. I have the MLB package streamed on my Roku box so baseball is all I really watch until football season. Once football starts Ill up my package, NFL Ticket is already paid for, and I cant wait!!

Coatingsarecrack
07-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Should be like football and after the season. Really would be ok with just the awards and no game or festivities. I get it though. With jersey sales, tickets, memorabilia and tv commercials..... gotta be a money maker for the MLB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaglefan
07-09-2019, 09:58 PM
If you count spring training, games, practices, traveling and whatever else, its a long season. Every day players need this break. Of course the money comes into play also

vobro
07-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Lifelong Cub fan and have zero interest aim the All Star Game or hr derby

FUNX650
07-09-2019, 10:19 PM
If you count spring training, games,
practices, traveling and whatever else,
its a long season. Every day players
need this break.

Of course the money comes
into play also

:rant :

I’m not a big fan of the
so-called “Jock Tax”.

Imagine having to: Pay-to-Play because of
being selected as one of the best at your
position...and then (barring injury) man-
dated to compete in the All-Star festivities.
Ex.: Home Run Derby Winner:
What’s ~7% of $1 million; plus the amount
owed due to the “Duty Day Athlete Taxation
Method”? Absurdity: has it no bounds?

Oh well:
The City of Cleveland, along with The State
of Ohio, are—quite literally—going to make
out like bandits! (Suppose it was their turn.)

:rant over :

Bob

briarpatch
07-10-2019, 07:57 AM
If there are, how many of you are sick of these All Star breaks in July?

I get the premise, but it has become a huge (commercialized) distraction/interruption to an otherwise flowing season for many teams.

I am a Yankees fan. Aaron Judge won the 2017 HR derby, and wasn't the same player for a month after the break.

I still believe the concentration on easy pitches that week contributed to it.

Ok, rant over. Lol

Like you, I'm a baseball fan and a Yankees fan. I have no issue with the break, but maybe not as long. These teams have a season thats longer than any other sport, and I can easily see the need for a break. Agreed, I think participation in the HR Derby has cost some players...am happy Judge was not in it

Paul A.
07-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Totally agree with you, Paul. The only benefit I see to it is for the remaining roster at home to get the chance to recuperate and enjoy a brief vacay from the long season.

57Rambler
07-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Oh well:
The City of Cleveland, along with The State
of Ohio, are—quite literally—going to make
out like bandits! (Suppose it was their turn.)

Bob

Rumor is, the Tribe finally dropped Wahoo in exchange for the All Star game ...

DBAILEY
07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
HR Derby does appear to affect those players afterwards, but that was only 8 players.

Its only 4 days....Monday through Thursday. They have been playing 5-6 games per week since first week of March. Not once or twice a week. Many of these guys have not been to their actual home since March.

If you waited until the end of the season when other sports have started up no one would pay any attention. Just like no one cares about the NFL ProBowl.

vobro
07-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Moving it to the end of the season puts into November which eliminates a majority of parks that can host. To me baseball is a game of many skills and strategies, I enjoy a well turned double play or a 10-15 pitch battle. The hr derby proves nothing to me as it's just glorified batting practice

mk9750
07-10-2019, 02:06 PM
I'm from near Cleveland, so I have a few observations:

1) It WAS a huge 4 days financially for Cleveland. In addition to the dollars brought in by spectators and others, MLB left about $5 million here in the form of field improvements, mostly to fields in underprivileged areas of the city. Financially, it was huge. And the intangible benefit is another opportunity to show off Cleveland, and that's never bad. However, there is a local radio personality here who talks about Cleveland 1 and Cleveland 2. Everyone saw Cleveland 1 the last few days, and it is really quite impressive. Unfortunately, the mayor here has sacrificed Cleveland 2 in order to make Cleveland 1 a gem. He's done a great job of promoting Cleveland 1, while allowing Cleveland 2 to languish.

2) The Indians nor MLB will never connect the two officially, but the All-Star game was awarded to Cleveland, outside it's normal cycle, just days after the Indians announced it was going to dis-associate themselves from the old logo. Coincidence? I think not.

3) The home run derby has had a negative effect on most every player who has participated in it since it was started. I tried a quick search to find what I thought was a Sports Illustrated article on this, but couldn't find it, so I apologize for not being able to name my source. But I definitely have seen an article about this. The problem is that it is now a bigger draw than the All-Star game itself.

I watched it last night because it was my town. I rarely watch any of it any other year.