PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

tiger 6
03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
One big problem I have had is having to spend a lot of time cleaning the brake dust and rubber off wheels of a car after I have it on a track. This may be "old" info for a number of you, but I thought it would be a good idea to share a process I have worked out which makes this job considerably easier. And it seems to work on a variety of wheel types.
One example-a Porsche GT3 RS, stock Michelin Pilot Sport Cup[MPSC] tires and brake pads, both silver and orange wheels. When I return from a track event, I remove the wheels to clean the front rotor holes and check pad wear etc. A bit of a PITA, but a necessary safety check before hitting the track again.
.Wash wheels with water and sponge.
.Dry and clean off any rubber/tar etc marks with 3M Adhesive Remover-wipe
area immediately with damp micro fiber towel.
.Apply coat of Klasse AIO, inside and out.
.Apply coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze, let dry for ~12 hours, wipe down, let
wheels sit for 24 hours.
.Repeat KSG.
.Apply Pinnacle Souveran Carnuba wax and remove.

Wheels are much easier to clean up after doing this, both from track work and/or normal street driving.

Low Tech
03-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the post - That combo, and others, work for good cleanup. My problem is that I searching for a solution that *also* helps lower accumulation.

I posted this on another forum: I am now using Poorboors Wheel Sealant and have a case of mostly unused Michelin Brake Dust Repellent. I have used Opti-Seal and Ultima T&TG and PGP, too. I have used FK425 after cleaning and it helps shed some dust.

Wondering:

1. Can I use the MBDR over the PWS to any good effect to lower brake dust accumulation?
2. Would MBDR remove the PWS or any other sealant?
3. Could a sealant (OOS, PGP or T&TG) go over PWS with any effect and not strip PWS?

The war on brake dust continues...

ScottB
03-09-2008, 10:12 AM
a sealant is much smarter on wheels than a wax, as they see extreme heat (much more than paint) and wax will fail faster. It does make cleanup easier, but still a PITA for uncoated wheels and likely track wheels as you have noted.

tiger 6
03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Low Tech-Agree, reducing the generation of brake dust is the optimum solution. I believe, however, this is a function of the type of pads used, rotors, how the car is driven, and the type of wheel/tire combo. The MPSC tires are very soft-probably close to a slick type tire you can also drive on the street. I use a fairly aggressive brake pad for the track and street-don't want the hassle of having to change pads after each track event. Don't know of any pragmatic solution for the generation issue which balances both street and track needs.

Low Tech
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
My sentiments exactly. If I have to choose, I'll take aggressive braking over low dust and live with the cleanup.

There are no low dust (ceramic or kevlar) pads available for my car. I've used them on other vehicles and always went back to grippy pads. And the type of tires we use spray rubber flecksonto wheels, wells, and body panels.

I'll probably do a four wheel experiment with different combos of products this spring and report back, unless someone has a trade secret!

Rsurfer
03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
My sentiments exactly. If I have to choose, I'll take aggressive braking over low dust and live with the cleanup.

There are no low dust (ceramic or kevlar) pads available for my car. I've used them on other vehicles and always went back to grippy pads. And the type of tires we use spray rubber flecksonto wheels, wells, and body panels.

I'll probably do a four wheel experiment with different combos of products this spring and report back, unless someone has a trade secret!Have you looked into Kleen Wheels? Have a G35 with ceramic pads, but still dusted alot until I got Kellen Wheels. I just use AW every other week and all I need is a hose to rinse clean.

sparkie
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
DG #951 is your friend....
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1993_8643707

Surfer
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
AW is awesome in wheels, track/street use, all I use. Quick and easy to use.

Low Tech
03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Have you looked into Kleen Wheels? Have a G35 with ceramic pads, but still dusted alot until I got Kellen Wheels. I just use AW every other week and all I need is a hose to rinse clean.

Thanks, good idea, but... Too much heat to cover with a dust cover - Got 8 piston dual calipers and 17" brembo rotors.

------
Sparkie, Rsurfer and Surfer - 3 recommendations for AW - I'm gonna put that in the mix... Thanks!

Jimmie
03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
DG #951 is your friend....
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1993_8643707

:iagree: in fact just used it on wheels today.

supercharged
03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I Jetseal my wheels.

Dieseldan
03-10-2008, 04:42 AM
:iagree: in fact just used it on wheels today.
i do too!

bfowkes
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I Jetseal my wheels.

Where do you find Jetseal? I have uncoated wheels and would love to try this out.