PDA

View Full Version : how often should i buy microfiber towels?

Pages : [1] 2

animescreen
07-08-2019, 06:57 PM
So gonna get chemical guys microfiber towels for specific tasks. and was told to wash it after each use via laundry and their microfiber towel detergent. (*youtube)

Wondering how long do microfiber towels last if I was let say 2x a week *seattle weather it rains a lot so lot of splashes of dirt etc..

and when can i tell it's time for new towels?

AND!!!

I have microfiber towels (like waffle weave) and other microfiber towels that were never dried in heat and always air dried after scrubbing dirt off with car wash soap. This has been years. can i still use them? need to save money

rlmccarty2000
07-08-2019, 07:28 PM
The CG towels (yellow w/black trim) are some of my favorites. I’ve been using the same towels for 7 years now and they are still in good enough for paint condition, soft and absorbent. I’ve got some cheap Walmart towels that I use for wheels and engine bays and they look rough but still work for nasty jobs.

Your old waffle weave towels should be fine.

PaulMys
07-08-2019, 07:40 PM
You'll get a million answers on "best mf towel". Or.... Best "anything" here on AGO to be perfectly honest.

Just use a good MF detergent, and do not cross-contaminate your towels and they should last you many years.

animescreen
07-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Hi Mr. Evil one so how would I know when it is time to use it as tire or nasty job? FEEL? TIME? I plan on keeping the towels in some file drawer in garage thats not hot or too cold

PaulMys
07-08-2019, 08:01 PM
When they lose their feel, get soiled, or if you perceive them to be so.

In all honesty (and I just posted this recently), don't fall so in love with your towels that you do not use them for their intended task.

All things come to the end of their useful lives.

spazzz
07-08-2019, 08:13 PM
The CG yellow cobra jr imitations are the first towels I bought.

The real cobra gold plush jr yellows(sold here) are much better and about the same price.

animescreen
07-08-2019, 09:12 PM
You'll get a million answers on "best mf towel". Or.... Best "anything" here on AGO to be perfectly honest.

Just use a good MF detergent, and do not cross-contaminate your towels and they should last you many years.DSF

sO i shouldn't worry about using my home washer and dryer right? Like let say i just finished my work clothes or regular clothes (not that it's really dirty) and then after its done go ahead and put dressing mf towel, drying mf towel, washing mf towel separately (so 3 different loads whoa that's a lot) with chemical guys detergent specifically for mf towels... i should be ok right? and dry low heat tumble dry or air dry

If the home washer is concern was gonna go coin laundry but then again that might be worst

Either way, that's load of washes and drying!!!

3 loads with only 2-3 towels for each..

I'm guessing you wash every car wash too. .So since i wash min 1x a week we are looking at lot of washes..

animescreen
07-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Just use a good MF detergent, and do not cross-contaminate your towels and they should last you many years.

well i have 3 mf towels that wer used for drying.. i can throw that in with wash mf towels right since it basically just drying after fresh wash.. just wanna consolodiate to limit washing

Finick
07-08-2019, 11:45 PM
well i have 3 mf towels that wer used for drying.. i can throw that in with wash mf towels right since it basically just drying after fresh wash.. just wanna consolodiate to limit washing

I’d say the best thing you could do is find what towels you like for specific purposes and then get a bunch of each. I seldom wash less than 25-35 towels at a time. I just let them dry and keep them in their own small hamper.

I try to find towels that I can use for a lot of different purposes that way I don’t have 799 different types around. I use one type at the moment for polish removal, wax removal, waterless and rinseless washing, and for applying spray sealants/waxes. I also use it for drying sometimes.

I have a bunch of towels I’ll use for interiors and door jambs/wheels.

I pretty much wash every towel together except wheel towels. I’m a lot less concerned about cross contaminating then than other people just because, well, I don’t really care. If I felt like it was actually causing an issue I’d be more inclined to separate things more.

The glass towels I use are cotton huck towels so I just wash them with my clothes since I use free and clear detergent when I do regular laundry anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
07-09-2019, 05:00 PM
I think that I was not clear enough in my above posts.

By "cross-contaminating" I meant not to use a towel for wheel duty, and then on to paint.

And, like Finick, I will chunk all of my towels in together (except wheel/wheel well).

VISITOR
07-09-2019, 06:58 PM
there's really no definitive answer on when to replace microfiber towels. of course the quality and how you launder them will determine how long they do or don't last. i use a microfiber detergent with warm water and extra rinse cycle to wash, then dry on the lowest heat setting with dryer balls and no dryer sheet. before putting the towels into the dryer (wipe it down and clean the lint trap), i like to grab them by the two corners (top and bottom) and snap them out so it's not all matted before starting to dry. been doing it this way for years with good results...

fly07sti
07-09-2019, 08:04 PM
I agree with Visitor and will say just buy whenever you want. I buy whenever I get the itch.

VISITOR
07-09-2019, 08:38 PM
btw, there are a lot of good sources to buy good quality microfiber these days that are priced reasonably. keep in mind that these (microfiber towels) touch the paint the most and no one wants to polish their paint more than they have to. how you use them (pressure wise, how they are folded, etc,) makes a difference too...

PaulMys
07-09-2019, 08:46 PM
I agree with Visitor and will say just buy whenever you want. I buy whenever I get the itch.

btw, there are a lot of good sources to buy good quality microfiber these days that are priced reasonably. keep in mind that these (microfiber towels) touch the paint the most and no one wants to polish their paint more than they have to. how you use them (pressure wise, how they are folded, etc,) makes a difference too...

Bingo.

Having enough quality towels on hand will not break the bank if you shop wisely.

animescreen
07-10-2019, 05:30 PM

so i use wash mitt which is pretty thick so folding doesn't need to be necessary. Pressure on these to scrub off some hard stuff should be ok right (2 bucket method).

As for mf towels, I kind of glide and absorb the water just enough pressure to not have water stain. Will folding it doing this absorb more impact on pressure which yields to less or no swirl marks?