PDA

View Full Version : Traditional chemical Paint Cleaners to deep clean a coating???

fightnews
07-08-2019, 08:23 AM
I've been wondering if we could re-purpose our traditional chemical based paint cleaners to cleanse a paint coating that's been on for a while? I'm talking about the typical "Pre-wax cleaners" we all have in our collections. It be nice if we could use those on our ceramic coatings to bring them back to life or just deep clean old road film after a while.

For an example I'll through out Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion but It could be any pre wax paint cleaner. Surely someone out there has tried and thought of this? If not it would be nice to get a thread going on what chemical products you can use to deep clean a coating after a few months.

What about APC diluted down for example?

expdetailing
07-08-2019, 11:06 AM
I would venture to guess that some of the lotions/cleaners are chalk full of heavy solvents and may remove the coating entirely, especially if you use a buffer. However, in more mild formulas, your idea could work well.
It would seem though, that the coating would suffer some degradation from any paint cleaner. How much is the question.

FUNX650
07-08-2019, 11:48 AM
I've been wondering if we could re-purpose
our traditional chemical based paint cleaners
to cleanse a paint coating that's been on for
a while?

I'm talking about the typical "Pre-wax cleaners"
we all have in our collections. It be nice if we
could use those on our ceramic coatings to bring
them back to life or just deep clean old road film
after a while.

For an example I'll through out Pinnacle paint
cleansing lotion but It could be any pre wax
paint cleaner. Surely someone out there has
tried and thought of this? If not it would be
nice to get a thread going on what chemical
products you can use to deep clean a coating
after a few months.

What about APC diluted down for example?
•True or False?

-Coatings have a reputation of being “hard”:
having the proverbial 9H hardness? Some-
times going as far as being promoted as
being harder than CC?

-In the CC paint world, hardness relates to
density. Density of a substance relates to
its degree of permeability/impermeability.

What if the above ‘factoids’ are true?

First of all:
Just how “deeply” could a contaminate, such
as road film, actually penetrate into a Coating?

Secondly:
How “deeply” could a designated paint cleaner
actually penetrate into a Coating to perform its
intended purpose?

Your thoughts on this matter
would be appreciated. TIA.

Bob

Paul A.
07-08-2019, 12:02 PM
That is a valid product request, fightnews. Seeing as we keep coatings for 1, 2 years or more on a vehicle, how about a coating "cleaner" without abrasives that could be used after a wash to clean deeper? Something to brighten up the paint from, as you say, road film.

The Guz
07-08-2019, 12:41 PM
A decon wash is always a recommendation for a coating and has been discussed many times. Essence Plus and 22ple's non-abrasive clay are other options.

DBAILEY
07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
I wonder what a hand application of M37 Paint Coating Prep polish or DG Squeaky Clean would do?