PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars D300 on thier cut scale?

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
07-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Does anyone know what number this is in thier abrasive scale. I feel like it's in the middle? Thinking of using it as a first step since its SMAT and I could stick to 4 passes to save time.

I would be using it on a polishing pad instead of menzerna 2500. How do you think the cut would compare on the same type of pad?

FUNX650
07-05-2019, 07:49 AM
On every Meguiar’s 1-10 cut scale
that I have ever seen, it’s placed in
the aggressiveness range of “9”.

{If you are willing to do-the-math,
you should easily find its corresponding
number on Meguiar’s 1-12 cut scale.}

Bob

fightnews
07-05-2019, 08:03 AM
On every Meguiar’s 1-10 cut scale
that I have ever seen, it’s placed in
the aggressiveness range of “9”.

{If you are willing to do-the-math,
you should easily find its corresponding
number on Meguiar’s 1-12 cut scale.}

Bob

Thanks bob, I kinda figured it was stronger then a medium polish. i dont know if using it is overkill for my project? I wanted to use my griots correcting creme but It's old and I just found out it turned too watery. I couldn't bring it back by shaking.

I just wanted something medium that I could make 4 passes with.

vobro
07-05-2019, 09:21 AM
D300 is very versatile,yes it can cut good but also works good as a medium polish pending pad and method. On lighter colors it's a killer 1-step

fightnews
07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
D300 is very versatile,yes it can cut good but also works good as a medium polish pending pad and method. On lighter colors it's a killer 1-step

I thought that too if it's on a polishing pad the cut shouldn't be to heavy. Would u say its comparable to menzerna 2500 used that way?

fightnews
07-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I used it on a finishing pad for 4 passes then finished with 3800 on a finishing pad. I only did the 2 doors. I got that new scangrip multimatch 8. Its very hard to see any difference between finishing polishes but obviously I can see the difference between the d300 and different finish polishes.

The quest for a perfect finish is tiring. God blessed the guys who can do this for a living.

PaulMys
07-05-2019, 05:39 PM
The quest for a perfect finish is tiring. God blessed the guys who can do this for a living.

Boy, you aren't kidding. The pro's are amazing.

I tried maybe 15(?) different product/pad combos to come up with what works on the Ram.

I would hate like hell to have to do that all over again. :/

saturn2
07-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Wasn't there a video on obsessed garage about leaving D-300 on the paint after working in without wiping and go to the next step making the system a time killer.

Finick
07-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Wasn't there a video on obsessed garage about leaving D-300 on the paint after working in without wiping and go to the next step making the system a time killer.

There sure was. I was surprised I’d never read that anywhere or seen anyone talk about it before the meguiars two mentioned it in that video. Seems like a huge selling point, imo. Optimum pushes their paint correction system the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleDavy
07-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Boy, you aren't kidding. The pro's are amazing.

I tried maybe 15(?) different product/pad combos to come up with what works on the Ram.

I would hate like hell to have to do that all over again. :/

I am still searching for the perfect combination. You have to enjoy the journey Paulie.

Dr Oldz
07-05-2019, 08:54 PM

I wouldn’t suggest, recommend or even think of that.

I don’t care what any manufacturer says...compounding/polishing removes the top layers of what you are buffing. The abraded away paint becomes an abrasive suspended in the buffing liquid and also distorts the solid to liquid ratio which is not ideal if you want professional results.

Finick
07-05-2019, 09:13 PM
I wouldn’t suggest, recommend or even think of that.

I don’t care what any manufacturer says...compounding/polishing removes the top layers of what you are buffing. The abraded away paint becomes an abrasive suspended in the buffing liquid and also distorts the solid to liquid ratio which is not ideal if you want professional results.

Not that I disagree in theory, but I’ve seen a lot of amazing results from people working that way. The videos on OG of Jason Kilmer and Andy ward immediately come to mind. During their compounding stage they don’t bother wiping residue off. They just blow out their pads and add more product and keep going.

I can’t remember if they wiped off in between polishing. I’d have to go back and look, but my gut says they probably don’t.

I also see a lot of really great results in the optimum Facebook group from professionals using the hyper paint correction system as prescribed. It definitely seems to work, even if it seems counterintuitive.

Different for sure, but the cool thing about products is they’ve come really far, so not a ton surprises me when companies do wild things like that. As much as I hate engineers, sometimes I have to trust that the people that make the products know what they’re doing.

Dr Oldz
07-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Not that I disagree in theory, but I’ve seen a lot of amazing results from people working that way. The videos on OG of Jason Kilmer and Andy ward immediately come to mind. During their compounding stage they don’t bother wiping residue off. They just blow out their pads and add more product and keep going.

I can’t remember if they wiped off in between polishing. I’d have to go back and look, but my gut says they probably don’t.

I also see a lot of really great results in the optimum Facebook group from professionals using the hyper paint correction system as prescribed. It definitely seems to work, even if it seems counterintuitive.

Different for sure, but the cool thing about products is they’ve come really far, so not a ton surprises me when companies do wild things like that. As much as I hate engineers, sometimes I have to trust that the people that make the products know what they’re doing.

Remember D300 and the Megs MF system was designed for production “detailing” and I use the word detailing there very loosely! Same with the Optimum system. If you practice the art of true paint polishing, you mindset wouldn’t be that lazy to wipe off some compound if you truly looking for maximum results!

Certainly not knocking production detailing as there is a place and market for it.... fortunately for me I have been hired numerous times to fix their “work” That is where the difference is!

WRAPT C5Z06
07-05-2019, 10:13 PM
Won’t finish anywhere near as good as 2500, no matter what pad you use.

saturn2
07-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Remember D300 and the Megs MF system was designed for production “detailing” and I use the word detailing there very loosely! Same with the Optimum system. If you practice the art of true paint polishing, you mindset wouldn’t be that lazy to wipe off some compound if you truly looking for maximum results!

Certainly not knocking production detailing as there is a place and market for it.... fortunately for me I have been hired numerous times to fix their “work” That is where the difference is!

I hear that the detailing esp paint polishing is an art. A production the detail comes second.