PDA

View Full Version : 5" backing plate

BILL
07-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Is it better on a 7424 with a 5" backing plate to use a 5.5 pad?? compared to a 6.5 pad to cut down on wear n tear on the bearings due to excessive vibration in the number 6 speed..??? and if i wanted to use a 6 inch backing plate would i have to change the counterbalance from 5 to 6???

ScottB
07-13-2006, 03:26 PM
you really contemplate it all ..... after 5 years of various backing plates and many a pad and counterweight change, I dont see the thing as anything but durable no matter what you toss at is. Infact, at around 25.00 a year its been cheaper than internet, Souveran Wax, grooming supplies, and XM radio. When it dies, I burying it in the backyard next to grams and ole' yeller for being such a faithful companion.

BILL
07-13-2006, 03:50 PM
you really contemplate it all ..... after 5 years of various backing plates and many a pad and counterweight change, I dont see the thing as anything but durable no matter what you toss at is. Infact, at around 25.00 a year its been cheaper than internet, Souveran Wax, grooming supplies, and XM radio. When it dies, I burying it in the backyard next to grams and ole' yeller for being such a faithful companion.

Thanks Killr...Im convinced its durable etc, other wise i never would have considered it........ Thanks.......

My pad question, and counterweight question remains although changed.

EDITED: Is it better on a 7424 with with the 5" backing plate to use a 5.5 pad for all around better buffing??? then the larger 6.5 pad.....or is the 6.5 -7.5 pads for the 6" backing plate? or it doesen't make a difference on the 5" backing plate with either the 5.5 or 6.5 pad......

and if i wanted to use a 6 inch backing plate would i have to change the counterbalance from 5 to 6???

............ Thanks.......:)

ScottB
07-13-2006, 05:28 PM
the issue of changing the counterweight is outstanding, to me it was worth the piece of mind since PC suggests it and so darn cheap.

As for the backing plate and pad choice, I personally feel that it still comes down to car and needs. I loved the smaller backing plate and pads when I had the older Vette since they fit in each nock and cranny easily. With the newer Vette the bigger pads are easy to use as no small areas. (larger flat surfaces)