PDA

View Full Version : Iron x to strip gel coat?

bus3
06-25-2019, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone I was wondering what you use to strip gel coat on boats? I have used iron x on vehicles but not sure if it’s safe for gel coat. Thank you.

Mike Phillips
06-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Hello everyone I was wondering what you use to strip gel coat on boats? I have used iron x on vehicles but not sure if it’s safe for gel coat.

Thank you.

The last 3 boats we've detailed here at Autogeek we have not chemically stripped using an iron remover.

I have chemically stripped single stage paint and what I saw is that because single stage paint is porous - the iron removers stained the paint. This staining can be removed as soon as you use a compound, polish or cleaner/wax.

My guess is the same thing will happen to gel-coat because like old school single stage paint - it's porous.

What are you working on?

What are you going to do to the gel-coat after washing?

:)

bus3
06-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Thanks Mike. I will be doing a single stage polish ( some areas may need more) and then coat with Crystal Serum light.

Mike Phillips
06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Thanks Mike. I will be doing a single stage polish ( some areas may need more) and then coat with Crystal Serum light.

My guess is the polishing step will remove any staining, if there's any staining.

A chalky, severely oxidized gel-coat surface is MORE OPEN than a gel-coat surface that has been maintained and has a hard shine.

You could always test in a isolated section first and go from their based upon the results.

:)