PDA

View Full Version : Please help remove glue from paint

fmont29
06-21-2019, 06:19 PM
I just picked up my new truck today... It has what I though was sap on the bumper but it will not come off... I then though it was gorilla glue and tried peanut oil.. That didn't work either.. I then tried a heat gun.. That did not work as well... It tried picking at it with my finger nails and no luck, it is extremely hard! Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Rsurfer
06-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Be real careful with your bumper. The paint has a flexing agent and is very soft.

I would take it back to the dealer and tell them you just noticed it and if they could get it off for you?

PaulMys
06-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover.

And welcome to the forum. :)

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2019, 06:28 PM
What about wax and grease remover like prepsol.?

fmont29
06-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover.

And welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you. Is it safe on plastic? Some of the adhesive got on the tail light also...

PaulMys
06-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Thank you. Is it safe on plastic? Some of the adhesive got on the tail light also...

It is safe on all paints, including clear coats.

As far as the plastic lens goes, I can't really comment.

As Rsurfer mentioned, it might be best to let your dealer know beforehand.

This way, they can either make it right, or at least replace the lens if need be.

Not sure what dealer would deliver that truck to you without noticing that.......... SMH

Either way, good luck and keep us posted.

fmont29
06-21-2019, 08:00 PM
It is safe on all paints, including clear coats.

As far as the plastic lens goes, I can't really comment.

As Rsurfer mentioned, it might be best to let your dealer know beforehand.

This way, they can either make it right, or at least replace the lens if need be.

Not sure what dealer would deliver that truck to you without noticing that.......... SMH

Either way, good luck and keep us posted.

I pointed it out during delivery. A detailer came right out and tried sap remover but it did not work. They did not have anything to get it off.. I said I will try a few things. Then the owner came out and said if I couldn't get it off to bring it back and they will replace the bumper worst care scenario.

fmont29
06-21-2019, 08:24 PM
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is banned in NY for some reason. Is there anything else you suggest? This stuff is very hard. I'm thinking epoxy? Should I try a plastic scraper like this? Oh yeah I havent mentioned this is a 70k truck! :eek:

PaulMys
06-21-2019, 08:25 PM
I pointed it out during delivery. A detailer came right out and tried sap remover but it did not work. They did not have anything to get it off.. I said I will try a few things. Then the owner came out and said if I couldn't get it off to bring it back and they will replace the bumper worst care scenario.

Take them up on that.

Not your headache.

PaulMys
06-21-2019, 08:49 PM
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is banned in NY for some reason. Is there anything else you suggest? This stuff is very hard. I'm thinking epoxy? Should I try a plastic scraper like this? Oh yeah I havent mentioned this is a 70k truck! :eek:

Banned in NY? Have you tried Amazon?

Looks like they are ready to ship it right now to me if I so desire.....

Dr Oldz
06-21-2019, 09:21 PM
I’d try Citrol 266

fmont29
06-21-2019, 09:29 PM
So far I did order the 3M adhesive cleaner.. What about Tarminator?

fmont29
06-24-2019, 01:50 PM
The truck is going back! They admitted it was damaged during transportation!

Calendyr
06-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Most tar remover also work well on glue. It will usually say either: Tar and adhesive remover or Tar and insect remover. The latter is a useless product in my experience it doesn't work on tar nor insects ;) But the former is a solvent that works well on both tar and glue. Here on Autogeek you can probably get Tar-X from CarPro as well as a ton of other Tar and adhesive removers.

PaulMys
06-24-2019, 05:22 PM
The truck is going back! They admitted it was damaged during transportation!

Good to hear this. This is actually part of my job at the Ford dealer I work for. When new cars/trucks come in, it is my responsibility to go over the entire vehicle front to back, up and down, inside and out.

If any damage is found, it is noted, documented, pics are taken and sent to the carrier, etc.

Like I said before, that damage you have would be hard to miss.