PDA

View Full Version : Does AA Extreme Gel contain Silicone?

Pages : [1] 2

Whitethunder46
03-07-2008, 01:45 PM
As the title asks.

trhland
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
most clear dressing contain silicone. milky white or blue dressing are water based.

makdaddy626
03-07-2008, 02:14 PM
As the title asks.

Yes - it's on the FAQ page of their website.

Whitethunder46
03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes - it's on the FAQ page of their website.

Yea, I looked there and couldn't find it. Must of overlooked, Thanks fella's.

D
03-07-2008, 05:01 PM
a) Water - based silicone dressings - usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings - usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind, solvent-based silicone is not biodegradable.

Good Silicone / Not so good Silicone: - Detail University - Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-wheel-tire-detailing/1340-good-silicone-not-so-good-silicone.html)

Al-53
03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
there is water based and solvent based....most tire dressing contains a silicone..there are a few that do not...but last a wash or rain...

some contain a silicone polymer also....

Al

Surfer
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Its water based mixture as well, with some silicone as said above, basically every gel has some sort of silicate. AA and boutiques have good silicates. I used AA Gel for 2-3 years now, love it, even after the gloss wears off the tire carries a nice clean black look, I get 2-3 weeks before I usually put another coat on, sometimes 4 weeks if there is no rain (just a quick wipedown when washing).

It is a good product, just apply very thinly as it can be BLING BLING if to thick, I'm looking to try a few others like maybe DG or Surf City, to get more of a matte sheen, just something different. It was also the only product that would work on our Ford trims on trucks, especially the wiper cowl and sideview mirrors, no other trim product worked well, thought I haven't tried BlackWow yet.

Rsurfer
03-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Its water based mixture as well, with some silicone as said above, basically every gel has some sort of silicate. AA and boutiques have good silicates. I used AA Gel for 2-3 years now, love it, even after the gloss wears off the tire carries a nice clean black look, I get 2-3 weeks before I usually put another coat on, sometimes 4 weeks if there is no rain (just a quick wipedown when washing).

It is a good product, just apply very thinly as it can be BLING BLING if to thick, I'm looking to try a few others like maybe DG or Surf City, to get more of a matte sheen, just something different. It was also the only product that would work on our Ford trims on trucks, especially the wiper cowl and sideview mirrors, no other trim product worked well, thought I haven't tried BlackWow yet.:iagree::whs:I wash every week and just swipe the applicator with no product for around 3-4 weeks before reapplying more product. The black wow is the best product I've found so far. Little expensive, but a little goes a long way just like AA.

The Skillmaster
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I have it and it provides a nice shine but it would alway sling on me so I stopped using it. I may have been putting it on a little to thick so I might try it again to see if it will do better applied supper thin.

Rsurfer
03-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I have it and it provides a nice shine but it would alway sling on me so I stopped using it. I may have been putting it on a little to thick so I might try it again to see if it will do better applied supper thin.
Yes, thin,thin,thin is the key. If you want more shine do another thin coat.

Surfer
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I have it and it provides a nice shine but it would alway sling on me so I stopped using it. I may have been putting it on a little to thick so I might try it again to see if it will do better applied supper thin.I never got sling with it, even on my A/T tires with the raised letters. It's a thinner consistancy then other gels, now Megs High Gloss Endurance would sling for me as it was thick and would glob up in parts of the tires.

Darren F
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I can never get enough shine from AA Gel...What would you recommend if I want more of a shine?

Rsurfer
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I can never get enough shine from AA Gel...What would you recommend if I want more of a shine?Do a second coat a few hours later, or better yet, the next day.

Whitethunder46
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I personally love AA Gel. AA Gel on top of AA Foam. Got the tip from Justin last year. I don't even think I've used a boutique tire dressing.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/carolinaheels42/SL555476.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/carolinaheels42/SL553626.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/carolinaheels42/SL553631.jpg

dengood1
03-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I never got sling with it, even on my A/T tires with the raised letters. It's a thinner consistancy then other gels, now Megs High Gloss Endurance would sling for me as it was thick and would glob up in parts of the tires.

:iagree::whs: