PDA

View Full Version : Do black cars really need products specific for black paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Silvaria
06-20-2019, 12:38 AM
It seems to me that the clear coat negates a "need" for products that are supposedly designed for specific paint colors, but I am VERY new to this and I could be wrong.

acuRAS82
06-20-2019, 01:09 AM
Glazes and waxes marketed for black cars are generally those that have certain oils meant to bring out the depth of black, rather than make it super shiny which may not be everyone’s favorite look on black. Even with a clear coat, how your finish looks is partially dependent on how light reflects off of it and this is where the oils can slightly alter that look.

With the above being said, there is no functional or health reasons why black waxes are better for the paint. Black waxes can look great on light colors; non-black marketed glazes and waxes can look great on black. I wouldn’t worry about narrowing down to a black marketed product unless it interests you to try it. I have many black waxes and many non-color charged waxes and I reach for any of them for any color.

Dr Oldz
06-20-2019, 02:50 AM
No. Black shows everything but same happens on all paint colors. If you can perfect black paint, you can perfect all!

Bill D
06-20-2019, 04:07 AM
Getting black paint perfect is like having a “black belt” in detailing! :-)

Paul A.
06-20-2019, 08:34 AM
In my experience I have found some products appear better on my black DD as far as LSP's.

Having said that I have found other products that look better on white, silver, red, blue etc. again, regarding waxes, sealants and coatings.

The differences are slight but a discerning eye can see these slight differences. The key for all paints is in the cut, buff, polish and jewelling to perfect perfectly flat paint. That's 95% of the look and reflection. The LSP chosen is the remaining 1%-5%.

The products used for correcting i.e. compounds and polishes are paint characteristic specific, not color specific.

Mike@ShineStruck
06-20-2019, 08:35 AM
No they don't, you just need to do. Test spot jist like any paint correction

BudgetPlan1
06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
In my experience I have found some products appear better on my black DD as far as LSP's.

I think this may be the case, 'color-specific' product or not. Have had 3 different coatings on my black daily driver since 2017, each had a slightly different 'look' to it. First one had a kinda 'thick', molten gloss look to it, Second had better depth, a bit less sharpness & 'reflectivity' but a warmer glow to it and the latest on is *very* reflective. The latest coating *looks* cleaner from 5 ft away than the other 2 did when I haven't washed it in a while although up close it is still somewhat 'dirty', a relative term in the eyes of an OCD-ish person.

I'd say that to the average person who watched the 3 over that time, they would say the 3rd coating 'keeps the car cleanest for the longest period of time between washes' even though the dirt accumulation is likely equal among the 3 given similar circumstances.

It's almost like the increased sharpness and reflective nature of the 3rd coating visually 'burns' through any light dirt on the surface.

FUNX650
06-20-2019, 10:06 AM
It seems to me that the clear coat negates
a "need" for products that are supposedly
designed for specific paint colors,

but I am VERY new to this
and I could be wrong.

Because I’ve always found it nigh to im-
possible to change-up/dye the ’color’ of
ClearCoat paint that’s been sprayed, and
subsequently cured, in the OEMs’ factory
(or other OEM approved) paint kitchens:

I’m going to state that, IMO:
No, you are not wrong in your
above “negates-assessment”.

Bob

BudgetPlan1
06-20-2019, 11:31 AM
It seems to me that the clear coat negates a "need" for products that are supposedly designed for specific paint colors, but I am VERY new to this and I could be wrong.

But what about the 'tinted clearcoats' or is that just mfg justification for charging higher amounts for those 'special' paint colors?

acuRAS82
06-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Despite clearcoat being clear, the end optical appearance of light reflecting off/absorbing in the color coat in different ways is what some the LSPs do different than others.

FUNX650
06-20-2019, 01:43 PM
But what about the 'tinted clearcoats'

I personally believe that I had
already covered that scenario.

However, if you believe it’s necessary,
please feel free to add the letter “s”
to the word ’color’, found in the below
posting, for furtherance of clarification.

TO WIT:

....I’ve always found it nigh to im-
possible to change-up/dye the ’color(s)’ of
ClearCoat paints that’s been sprayed, and
subsequently cured, in the OEMs’ factory
(or other OEM approved) paint kitchens:

Bob

swanicyouth
06-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Doesn’t matter for wax, but always use black soap

Kamakaz1961
06-22-2019, 04:32 PM
IMO NO! I have a Black ride and I know my ride has a Clear Coat that protects my Black Paint. That being said, I use Polish Angel Centurion Liquid wax and that is "designed" for a black car. But I also use Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and Vic's Red Paste wax. They are designed for all color cars. Again, you are protecting the clear coat after you compound/polish/prep.

It's just another marketing ploy IMO. I know I use Centurion! LOL

Silvaria
06-25-2019, 11:46 PM
I appreciate the replies and advice, I've never heard of "black soap" so I'll have to do some research on that.

I ended up purchasing Meguiar's M20508 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish because it is my understanding that it is less harsh and I don't think my car's paint needs that much work, with only 6600 miles. Also, it is apparently better to start with less and move to more if needed.

I also bought Turtle Wax ICE Spray Wax for some coverage until I have the time to go over the entire car with a good paste or liquid wax.

It's going to be hard work until I can get a machine to help but I'm extremely dedicated to keeping my car looking beautiful! :)

bofh
06-25-2019, 11:54 PM
My personal sample set is quantity 1: Turtle Wax Jet Black Spray Detailer. Note there is no "ICE" in the title. I think I posted this somewhere already, but it was like cleaning with pruning sealer. Terrible, awful product that I threw away right away.