PDA

View Full Version : Washing a car with well water

Victleo
06-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone first time poster, long time lurker. We moved into this current house about two years ago. We have well water that has a high iron content and iron bacteria present. We have shocked the well twice to rid the bacteria, but it comes back after about 2 - 3 weeks. Although we have a water softener, all outside hookups are just raw well water. Is there any danger to washing the car with the well water and using some kind of filtered water as a final rinse such as a DI portable system like spotless. My main worry is, am I going to induce anything with washing the car with well water that has iron bacteria, ie cause the bacteria to eat away at the car. The car at the moment is rust free and the closest wash bay is about 10 minutes away. Quite frankly due to all the pollen around here, the car gets dirty even on the way back. It's a weekend only car (aka garage queen). Again trying to determine any adverse effect of the iron bacteria. Also be nice to not have to spend $5 - $10 for every car wash.

Buster906
06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
A possible way to observe the effects of your well water, look at the water spots on the house windows that your sprinkler may hit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Victleo
06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
There is definitely water spots also you can see rust stains from where the sprinklers hit the concrete.

Buster906
06-18-2019, 08:48 AM
An option is to buy a panel from a salvage yard to see the effects from the well water

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bofh
06-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Consider using waterless wash products for your maintenance washes / getting the pollen off.