PDA

View Full Version : What Is This On My New Vehicle's Paint ?

57Rambler
06-17-2019, 08:49 PM
We bought a new Honda CR-V a couple weeks ago, it's Platinum White Pearl. The dealer had to swap with another dealer in order to acquite the vehicle we wanted, and I told them no cleanup/detail, I'll do it myself. I was waiting when the dealer's driver pulled in with our CR-V so I know our dealer did nothing to it. Inspected the car and all looked fine. Since then I've just been keeping it well-washed and it hasn't been driven in the rain either, all the while waiting on me to make up my mind as to what sealant I was going to use (I just ordered DG 601 & 105 for it during the most recent sale).

Yesterday evening I was outside and noticed a place in the paint that I had never seen before ... it seems to only be visible in lower lighting conditions. I have no idea what it is / caused it, and today I contacted my dealer to see if they could find out if the previous dealer had done anything to the paint. They were told by the previous dealer that it probably had been sealed as they do all their cars, but could not say the exact product as they use several different sealant products. Argh ! :mad: :bat:

1. Could it just be water marks/streaking ? It sort of has that appearance, but if so it had to come from the previous dealer as I have been meticulously drying the vehicle with an armada of PFMs.

2. The area in question has a sort of pattern to it, like a folded towel or something similar touched/contacted it.

3. I don't think it's a defect in the base coat as it has a lot of metallic content and you can see through the "hazy area" in question that the metallic particles below are not disturbed.

3. Nothing other than Optimum Car Wash had touched the surface until tonight I tried some Meguiar's Ultimate QD just to see if it would take it off. Zero effect.

Not sure where to go from here. I have no faith in a dealer correcting it but I obviously need to do something before I apply the DG 601+105. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I do not have a polisher and wasn't planning on getting one, as other than this one problem area the paint is excellent (well, as best as I can tell on a white vehicle ... and yes, I have now checked the whole thing out again albeit this time in low light as well).

I've attached a photo with the question area circled. Forgive the darkness, but as I noted, this only shows up in low light conditions.

TIA,
Rob

P.S. - Sorry for the small photo size, but I could only upload the photo directly from my PC to AGO. Linking the URL for the photo's storage location doesn't seem to work ... tried Google Photo and Flickr. Kept getting an error msg. for invalid file type.

VISITOR
06-17-2019, 09:21 PM
possibly something dirty (technician) touched or bumped up against it since it is under the door handle. try a foam applicator pad with a polish and see where that gets you...

Goonie75
06-17-2019, 09:27 PM
[emoji121]️This

A lot come wrapped or tapped. Could be some left over adhesive that perhaps was touched by dirty hands. Polish should help.

If not and its "in the paint" I'd maybe contact the dealer.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app