PDA

View Full Version : No run trim protection?

Pages : [1] 2

JHForman
06-16-2019, 06:10 PM
I have a new truck that is being shipped to the dealer soon, I’ve ordered everything I think I need, but I forgot the trim protection. I have used some stuff in the past that looks amazing when first applied, but as soon as it rains it streaks all down the side of the vehicle. Does anyone have any recommendations for a product that won’t run and stream down the side of the truck and look like SH**?

57Rambler
06-16-2019, 06:38 PM
While I'm a newb too, and searching for a trim product myself (SUV with lots of black plastic trim), from my research so far the consensus seems to be Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) if you want a sealant or CarPro DLux if you want to go the coating route. Gyeon Q2 Trim is another coating that gets a lot of mention as well.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Being that I've done a few different ones, I prefer WETS or M37 Trim restorer ( same thing ) on trim, PERL on tires. I'd advise against ceramic coatings on trim, if you get streaks. Well you're stuck with them now.

bofh
The Blackfire Tire & Trim sealant is pretty good.

PaulMys
McKee's Trim Restorer is also a very good choice. About identical to WETS in my opinion.

I believe they both recommend a 2 hour cure time. (I could be a little off, but I think it's 2 hours).

After that, it could rain for weeks. NO running at all.

Dr Oldz
06-16-2019, 07:17 PM
DLux for a semi-permanent solution!

Ultima tire and trim guard for a non coating that has amazing durability!!

TTQ B4U
06-16-2019, 07:42 PM
Coat it. GYEON Q2 Trim. /thread

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
06-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Yeah, if it’s new trim I’d say coat it with Gyeon Trim or Carpro Dlux. Will look great for a long time.

TTQ B4U
06-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Yeah, if it’s new trim I’d say coat it with Gyeon Trim or Carpro Dlux. Will look great for a long time.

Q2 Trim will darken lightly faded trim too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-16-2019, 08:15 PM
DLux for a semi-permanent solution!

What is the timeline of the semi-permanent?

(Goes for Q2 as well).

Bruno Soares
06-16-2019, 08:23 PM

(Goes for Q2 as well).

I would guess 1 year. You’ll probably reapply before it’s really needed.

PA DETAILER
06-16-2019, 08:24 PM
McKee's Trim Restorer is also a very good choice. About identical to WETS in my opinion.

I believe they both recommend a 2 hour cure time. (I could be a little off, but I think it's 2 hours).

After that, it could rain for weeks. NO running at all.

100% Agree.

Bruno Soares
06-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Q2 Trim will darken lightly faded trim too.

Yes but faded is risky because if you need to restore with something like Solution Finish then you definitely don’t want to coat first. So those require some judgment call but on new trim coating is the way to go. Just a little faded will look great again with a coating. Even the white marked ones from polish I found that the coating makes look new again.

PaulMys
06-16-2019, 08:31 PM
I would guess 1 year. You’ll probably reapply before it’s really needed.

Good info.

With the McKee's, I apply it roughly every 8 weeks.

To me, the cost of the trim coatings does not compute. JMO, and I am in no way saying the coatings are not worth it to some.

Dr Oldz
06-16-2019, 09:07 PM

(Goes for Q2 as well).

Dlux is on all my trim (Ram Rebel daily driver) for 2 years now. Beads well and still looks like day 1.