PDA

View Full Version : sap on my fresh detail

hmardown
06-16-2019, 09:41 AM
just did my garaged weekend car about four weeks ago. it's topped with mckee's hi-def sealant. went to an all day party and had to park under a pine tree. you know the rest of the story sap, sap & more sap. what would be the easiest non invasive way of removing the sap ? I mean it's pretty fine and some of it did wash off. is clay effective on sap ? or should I buff it out with something ? I was hoping to not have to do two or three steps if possible.
thanks, Carlo

TMQ
06-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Microfiber and bit of alcohol (IPA). Get the 51 % bottle from Walmart.

Tom

hmardown
06-16-2019, 10:13 AM
see this is why you have to ask. I have some car pro eraser, will that work ? I'm not sure of the percentage. also what do you think about after the wipe down. maybe a detail spray & then reply a sealant ? or just IPA and then maybe some wax ?

another thing, before I use an IPA should I try and clean the hood & roof off first ? there's bound to be some dust mixed in with the sap. I don't think that IPA has any lubricants in it.

TMQ
06-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Just spot remove sap with the ISP.

ISP will remove whatever you have on the paint. After spot cleaning---go ahead and reapply your high def sealant.

tom

FUNX650
06-16-2019, 11:17 AM
what do you think about after the
wipe down. maybe a detail spray
& then reply a sealant ? or just IPA
and then maybe some wax ?

Sap, in and of itself, is pretty invasive.

Let’s say that even if it hasn’t invaded
the paint system’s top-coat, you can
bet your bottom dollar that the LSP in
the affected areas is already toast before
any sap removal chemicals have been used.

As such:
After its removal...[“alcohol swabbing” is one
way to remove sap; some will use turpentine
(ie: “like removes like”); I prefer products like
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner]...it’s
always a “Best Practice” to re-seal all of the
affected areas.

Bob

hmardown
06-16-2019, 11:18 AM
ok Tom thanks for the come back.

hmardown
06-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Got you too Bob thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmardown
06-16-2019, 12:34 PM
So it seems like i may have been wrong about the sap. At as far as IPA removing what I thought was sap. I tried claying with ultra fine clay and achieved success. Of course this means more work. But I want to do it right. I could have sworn it was sap. I only put on 100 miles after detailing and park in a garage. I didn’t need The baggie test to make it feel like sandpaper. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/475f21297105a392939edfa74dcdd52e.jpg

FUNX650
06-16-2019, 01:12 PM
So it seems like i may have been wrong about the sap. At as far as IPA removing what I thought was sap. I tried claying with ultra fine clay and achieved success. Of course this means more work. But I want to do it right. I could have sworn it was sap. I only put on 100 miles after detailing and park in a garage. I didn’t need The baggie test to make it feel like sandpaper. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/475f21297105a392939edfa74dcdd52e.jpg

IMO:
The main thing is that you’re able to
remove the contaminate(s) using one
of the least aggressive methods. :props:

Bob

Paul A.
06-16-2019, 01:17 PM
THAT was removed by clay bar after 100 miles? Did you just clay before the miles?

That's what I like to see on my clay...means it's removing it.

hmardown
06-16-2019, 03:49 PM
THAT was removed by clay bar after 100 miles? Did you just clay before the miles?

That's what I like to see on my clay...means it's removing it.

Yes. Not before the 100 miles. Maybe a month ago I detailed it and covered it up in the garage. I still think it’s sap from a pine tree but who knows. I doubt it’s pollen because it was not green. Either way it came off easy.