PDA

View Full Version : 2016 BMW X3 Swirls

Jayfro
06-14-2019, 12:09 PM
We just picked-up a White 2016 BMW X3 for my wife since she was rear ended a couple of months ago, the paint looks likes it spent the majority of its life in "The Tunnel of Swirls"! I plan on attempting to correct the paint this weekend or next and was only looking for a head start on what AIO (preferably) and Pad choice that has worked well in the past. Of course, I'll perform my own test spots but was looking to get a head start.

Also, I've tried to search the forums with "BMW" "BMW X3" in the Search Bar and have not received any results...hence my post.

Thank you,
Jay

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Congrats on the pick-up! I have always had great results with the BlackFIRE AIO. After completion give it a wipedown with either of their spray waxes.
BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-polish-seal.html)

Which machine and pads do you have?

originalgoods13
06-14-2019, 01:05 PM
I have had good luck with Griot's Garage dual action polisher, combined with an orange cutting foam pad and a correcting compound like Jescar's.

Finish with off with a micro polish cream with black polishing foam pad and you're golden, and top it off with your preferred paint protection product.

Jayfro
06-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the replies. Currently have LC Orange (8-9), white (6 I think, they arrive today from AGO), and black (2). I’ll be using the HF DA. I agree on the BLackfire AIO but not 100% sure since I’ve never used it.

Thank you again for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Thank you for the replies. Currently have LC Orange (8-9), white (6 I think, they arrive today from AGO), and black (2). I’ll be using the HF DA. I agree on the BLackfire AIO but not 100% sure since I’ve never used it.

Thank you again for the input.

Here is a review I did a while back on it before it was reformulated to what it is now. Seriously, its good stuff and very easy to use.
Product Review: BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/95330-product-review-blackfire-total-polish-seal.html)

Jayfro
06-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Thank you for the info Mike. This just came in this afternoon!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190614/e51238f648086242a20b4d046e899ad0.jpg

TMQ
06-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Off to good start.

BMW paint tends to be on the hard side.

Don't be too surprised if the one step after 4 - 5 passes does not remove all the scratches and swirls out.

And don't try to get them all out either. It is a daily driver. Just get it cleaned, polished and sealed.

Tom

Mike Phillips
07-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Thank you for the info Mike. This just came in this afternoon!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190614/e51238f648086242a20b4d046e899ad0.jpg

Hey Jay,

Sorry but just now found this....

How you liking the BF One Step?

How about the MINIMATCH?

:)

Jayfro
07-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Hey Jay,

Sorry but just now found this....

How you liking the BF One Step?

How about the MINIMATCH?

I don't like BF One Step...I love BF One Step!!!!

It seems to me that it is very adaptable to just about anything you throw at it! I recently did a partial detail to my daughters boy friends Black Mercedes C250, which I heard was on the medium to hard side, it cleared about 75% of the swirls on the hood, only the deep swirls remained. I plan on tackling the deep swirls this weekend with the Pinnacle Compound (arriving today, actually just arrived, love ring doorbells) if he comes over this weekend.

He's moderately appreciative, which is fine since I use his car as a "test car" to practice my technique with different pads, speeds, product amount, etc...My wife and daughter said the car looked amazing...coming from them is HUGE!!

Jay

Mike Phillips
07-18-2019, 02:56 PM
I don't like BF One Step...I love BF One Step!!!!

Me too. Works great - easy wipe off. One and done.

I love doing one-steps. So much easier than coating jobs.

It seems to me that it is very adaptable to just about anything you throw at it! I recently did a partial detail to my daughters boy friends Black Mercedes C250, which I heard was on the medium to hard side, it cleared about 75% of the swirls on the hood, only the deep swirls remained.

See what I wrote here about doing a 2-step with BF One Step or compounding first.

How to Under Promise and Over Deliver with BLACKFIRE One Step - Your One Step Detailing Package (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/123886-how-under-promise-over-deliver-blackfire-one-step-your-one-step-detailing-package.html)

I plan on tackling the deep swirls this weekend with the Pinnacle Compound (arriving today, actually just arrived, love ring doorbells) if he comes over this weekend.

You're going to love this compound. Spendy? Yes. Works perfect on any paint. Yes.

Enjoy the weekend, I'm teaching a full class on some cool cars. Looking forward to it.

mckobe
07-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Thinking about picking up BF AIO, but to this date, HDSpeed is what's working for me on orange 5.5 forced hybrids on a 3401

PaulMys
07-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Thinking about picking up BF AIO, but to this date, HDSpeed is what's working for me on orange 5.5 forced hybrids on a 3401

Nothing wrong with trying a new product. Especially one so highly touted.

That said, the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to my mind with good old HD Speed.........

Jayfro
07-18-2019, 09:22 PM

I typically use LC Orange pads, I tried the White on a test spot but the orange ended up finishing out better.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)