PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if filler or wax was used

Jcalton
06-07-2019, 01:21 PM
I bought a new truck and it got the dealership treatment. I haven't seen swirls so much as scratches. One on the hood where it looks like they scrubbed to get something off, a long swipe on the drivers door, rear passenger fender. Most look pretty light, a couple on the fender look a bit deeper but overall most look like they are just in the clearcoat. It's a 2019 RAM.

Anyway, I pointed it out and they said they would get their body shop to fix it. I should've said no, but I know more now than I did then.

Got it back and they are less visible but I can still see them. The one on the hood didnt get touched at all. It was cloudy and I had to get out of there to make it to a meeting so I did a quick walk around and left. I did say to the sales manager that they were less visible but I could still see them. After work I did a closer inspection with a flashlight, sorry no swirl finder yet, and noticed more scratches, mainly on the bumper.

I called and spoke to the sales person I've dealt with for the last 2 trucks I've bought there. I told them I was going to get it buffed elsewhere and would like to see what options they could offer to make things whole.

Now for the question. The truck is waxed and I didnt do it. How can I tell if they did a quick buff with a filler product or even just wax to cover up the scratches rather than actually polish them out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

expdetailing
06-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Your story reminded me of this thread from a few years ago. It's an interesting read.
Debate Over LSP Removal Settled (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/102287-debate-over-lsp-removal-settled.html)

Mike Phillips
06-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Regardless of what they did or did not do - if you still see the original defects - whatever they did was insufficient.

My strong advice? Stick to your position and don’t give them access to your truck.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Buy a Griots Garage 8mm Polisher and some BLACKFIRE One Step and fix it yourself.

Show them this thread too - call it a professional courtesy in an honest attempt to help them and educate them.

Mike Phillips
06-07-2019, 03:28 PM
This is super simple stuff

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/111332-heres-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html)

Jcalton
06-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Buy a Griots Garage 8mm Polisher and some BLACKFIRE One Step and fix it yourself.

Show them this thread too - call it a professional courtesy in an honest attempt to help them and educate them.

:)I've been reading a lot on here lately and have read the thread and watched the video you posted here.

They will not be touching the truck anymore unless it's for service.

I do have access to an Adam's swirl killer that I am probably going to use. But the Gg6 is on my list of tools to acquire in the coming months.

Thanks for the help and all the information!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

FUNX650
06-07-2019, 04:28 PM
:idea:

•While your waiting on your Polisher
to arrive...

-Give your vehicle the full treatment to
your two-bucket car-washing process.

a.) If only “fillers” were used, they should
easily be washed away from the suspect
areas—fully exposing the underlying paint
blemishes.

{Note:
paint needs to actually be protected; make
sure to immediately apply a Wax/Sealant.}

b.) If a Wax was used, there should be some
semblance of water beading upon the paint
when the vehicle is rinsed; meaning: it has
the capability of not fully exposing the under-
lying paint blemishes.

{Note:
No immediate need to apply a protectant
(Wax/Sealant), unless so desired.}

Bob

Chevota Guy
06-07-2019, 06:37 PM
They will not be touching the truck anymore unless it's for service.

Good luck with getting it fixed. Even when they service it, make sure they don't just routinely run it through the scrub and swirl tunnel before delivering it back to you. I recently asked my dealership NOT to wash my vehicle after service, but they did anyway, now I'm de-swirling it :(

Jcalton
06-07-2019, 07:35 PM
:idea:

•While your waiting on your Polisher
to arrive...

-Give your vehicle the full treatment to
your two-bucket car-washing process.

a.) If only “fillers” were used, they should
easily be washed away from the suspect
areas—fully exposing the underlying paint
blemishes.

{Note:
paint needs to actually be protected; make
sure to immediately apply a Wax/Sealant.}

b.) If a Wax was used, there should be some
semblance of water beading upon the paint
when the vehicle is rinsed; meaning: it has
the capability of not fully exposing the under-
lying paint blemishes.

{Note:
No immediate need to apply a protectant
(Wax/Sealant), unless so desired.}

BobThey definitely waxed it. I made a point to not wash or anything after I got it so that there were no owner installed scratches before they took it to fix their scratches.

Now that I have it back I'm in for atleast 6 days of non stop rain and the water is beading up great. That's what made me think all they did was slap a coat of wax on it and call it good.

If I knew then what I did now I wouldn't have let them fix it, I would've just done it myself. I plan on ceramic coating it so I wasnt going to wax it when I brought it home, it was going to be polished and coated. So now i have a fresh layer of wax I have to take off too once the rain finally stops.

I've told them that I am not interested in them trying to fix it again, the customer care rep said she would even have their detail giy come out and talk to me so I could show him exactly what the problem was. I told her the scratches were evident to the naked eye, that if he couldn't find the problem that was reason enough to not have them try to fix it again.

I'm not trying to be a PITA to the dealership but a $50k truck getting scratched before I even get the keys is ridiculous. I'm waiting to hear back from them now, will probably be Monday before I hear anything else.

Kamakaz1961
06-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Never let the dealer detail your ride PERIOD! You may get lucky and have a great detailer, but most of the time not. Mike is right do it yourself and be happy!!

PaulMys
06-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Never let the dealer detail your ride PERIOD! You may get lucky and have a great detailer, but most of the time not. Mike is right do it yourself and be happy!!

I work for a dealer.

The things the "detail" guys do to a new car or truck is enough to make anyone on this forum lose their lunch.

That said, and I will quote Mike P here..... "Squirrel from a Swirl". 99.9% of people couldn't tell the difference.

Those 99.9% couldn't care less about the swirls, still dirty wheel wells, and greasy a$$ tire shine. In their minds, it looks "Shiny and new".

To each their own I guess....... :/

Jcalton
06-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Never let the dealer detail your ride PERIOD! You may get lucky and have a great detailer, but most of the time not. Mike is right do it yourself and be happy!!Oh if I only new this before. I bought a truck there last year, black even, and they did their thing without leaving a single scratch or swirl. As a matter of fact the very first time I washed it I put a scratch of my own on it and had to buff it out.

Now all I'm doing is seeing if they will compensate me for my time. Not sure if they will, at this point I have nothing to lose if they don't. I've given them my business multiple times and brought others to them because they always treat me right. Truth be told if they say they cant help this time I will still go there, just not let their shop touch whatever I buy.

I did tell them I'm not interested I'm a few free oil changes because they are over an hour away and the only reason I go there is I deal with the same sales person and they treat me well and I like to reward good service with repeat business.

PaulMys
06-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Oh if I only new this before. I bought a truck there last year, black even, and they did their thing without leaving a single scratch or swirl. As a matter of fact the very first time I washed it I put a scratch of my own on it and had to buff it out.

Now all I'm doing is seeing if they will compensate me for my time. Not sure if they will, at this point I have nothing to lose if they don't. I've given them my business multiple times and brought others to them because they always treat me right. Truth be told if they say they cant help this time I will still go there, just not let their shop touch whatever I buy.

I did tell them I'm not interested I'm a few free oil changes because they are over an hour away and the only reason I go there is I deal with the same sales person and they treat me well and I like to reward good service with repeat business.

Perfectly understandable.

SWETM
06-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Do you know any detailer in your area or if another forum member lives near you that has a paint thickness gauge PTG. Could be hard to read on your bumper if it's plastic one. But on the hood and the long scratch on the side you would be able to measure a little difference in paint thickness reading. Not so necessary if it's comes to that they have only covered the defects. But if they have done a heavy compounding I would be interested in how much they removed. And that's cause of later down the road if you would get another defect it could be not able to fix it since the clearcoat is to thin there.

I don't know what it is with the dealerships and bodyshops in the US. It can be that new vehicals is mostly bought by you ordering it if you go there. They have just demo vehicals that shows how they looks and then you order your vehical with the color and all of the options you chose to have. And also it's like a franchise the dealerships. So if there are a lot of complains on a dealership they are not lasting long and may be from the heat from the brands hq. The bodyshops most does a great job with all from insurance work to repaints. I meen even for an untrained eye some work I have seen here is so not acceptable. Where is the pride for a great workmanship. Sure there are used vehicals dealerships and bodyshops that do some crappy work. But they are honestly uncommon. And the new vehicals dealerships they are very rare to delivering in the conditions I have seen here. Can't just not grab my head around it that it's acceptable by so many people. Otherwise they would be closeing down even if it's a big car brand they are selling. And more so these days with reviews online and social media. That a bad business would be getting heat fast here and people would avoid going there. Seems like it's been an acceptance that this is how it should be when buying a new vehical or getting a damage fixed.

I remember when a semi-trucks trailer backed into my Audi S4. Not so big damage but the dent was on the trunk lid where the horisontall and vertical meets and it was down to the metall. The semi-trucks drivers companys insurance took care of the cost and all was handle by the bodyshop I left it at. I was not so detailing knowledge but friends worked in a bodyshop and I did much of the mechanic work myself then. This was 15 years ago this happened. When my friend that worked at a bodyshop and I took a closer look at the repaired part and the repaint of the trunk lid. It where no visible signs that a repair was done or that it was repainted. We loosened a part of the inside trim part and there was a line where you saw it was some work done as should be. The color matching was perfect on a 10 year old car. And the only part that stod out was it where no swirls on the trunk lid but on the rest of the car LOL. We have a lot of wild animals accidents here in Sweden. And those repairs is of a very high standards across the board. There are some hacks here to but their businesses don't get big and stays small. Going with a knowned bodyshop and you get a great job from them useally.

Just some shareing from how we have it here in Sweden. Not perfect in any way but there seems to be a hughe difference between our countries when it comes to dealership and bodyshops. I would be so sad if I bought a new vehical and the looks of it don't seems new.

Hope you get it sorted out.

/ Tony