PDA

View Full Version : New Windshield 'performance'

aceshigh73
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey all...

Im new to this forum.. just loaded up on some MF towels from AG to use on my new 2006 Sonata LX (Dark Blue)...

Anyway, my question is this...

I've purchased quite a bit of new cars in my day and have always noticed when you get that new car, the windshield/wipers always clean the glass perfectly when it rains....

How do you maintain this? The wipers? The glass? Do dealers usually put wax on the windshield? I do notice rain tends to bead up a bit on the windshield (but not like Rain-X)...

Can I get some hints from the forum please?

Thanks

Surfer
07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Might have a coating of something on it. I use AIO and DP Glass Restorer.

FloridaNative
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Might have a coating of something on it. I use AIO and DP Glass Restorer.

:iagree: They probably use some coating or some specific product treatment. I would wait for Justin to chime in on that one. He worked for dealerships for 9 years he says. He would probably know what they use.

Meghan
07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Use DP Glass Restorer its great on the windows. As for wipers I know 303 makes a wiper blade treatment.
http://www.autogeek.net/303wiptreat.html
http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html

ScottB
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I wipe mine with qd'er when drying the car, always beads well. I use alot of Quikshine, and 425 amongst other qd'ers.

emaxxman
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
A clean windshield will wipe smoothly. I have an 8yr old Accord and have never polished the glass or put any kind of wax or sealant on it. Since February, when I started to learn more and more about detailing and keeping your clean, I have used Stoner's Invisible Glass and Meguiar's Glass Cleaner concentrate to keep my windows clean. I also wash the car every 2 weeks (regardless of rain in the forecast...it's been raining like crazy here in NJ.)

Same old wipers since the beginning of winter last year...but they wipe completely smooth and clean. In fact, the only time they don't wipe cleanly is if some kind of giant Mothra like bug bites the big one on the windshield. Then I get smears.

I also get water beading like crazy while driving in the rain...no need for a fast wiper setting either because the rain just slides off.

Surfer
07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Use AIO and you don't even need wipers:D

justin_murphy
07-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Alot car dealers use car washes with wax (polymers) in the wash. This will make your glass bead.
I was at my old dealership yesterday and drove by the detail bay. There, on the pavement, layed 3 wash mitts and a brush upside down. I watched. I watched him pick up the mitts off the ground and drop it in the bucket and start washing a new Crossfire (BLACK). I laughed and cried at the same time. Wish I had had my video camera on me. Would have put it on my website on how to wetsand you vehicle.

supercharged
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
That's how you get a DISO (dealer installed swirl option).
That's why when I was taking my car for a recall - I told them - No wash - no vacum.

aceshigh73
07-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Guys....

Thanks for the replies.... I did purchase the 303 wipes in my last MF towel order.. so Im good to go there... maybe I'll try some QD on the window to see how it works....

Oh, I have a Deepwater Blue Sonata, and with the bright sun this morning, I now see DeepWater Blue Holograms (I think thats what they are). The Dealer definitely did the DISO.... Why of why do they let amateurs use rotaries!?!?!?!?!?!

texasdan
07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
I refused to let the dealer clean my new car. It was raining the day I picked up the car, or they probably still would have.

When my wife met me she had never heard of swirls. After I explained and showed them to her, she thought cars came from the factory that way because every car she had seen had them.

Now she is worse than me about them.

FloridaNative
07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Alot car dealers use car washes with wax (polymers) in the wash. This will make your glass bead.
I was at my old dealership yesterday and drove by the detail bay. There, on the pavement, layed 3 wash mitts and a brush upside down. I watched. I watched him pick up the mitts off the ground and drop it in the bucket and start washing a new Crossfire (BLACK). I laughed and cried at the same time. Wish I had had my video camera on me. Would have put it on my website on how to wetsand you vehicle.

Stop Justin!! You're killing me! Oh my gosh!! How inhumane!!

Neothin
07-14-2006, 08:33 PM
be happy that they didn't burn the paint. I've seen it happen at the scion dealership down in stuart. This is why I refuse ALL dealer cleaning. That included the removal of residue leftover from taking off the transportation sheeting that was on my car when I got it.

Anyways, to answer your question, the reason that the new windshields bead water is because they're clean and un-pitted. When windshields get dirty and start to get pitted from rocks, waterspots, etc etc, it gives the water something to hold on to. When the windshield is new, it's perfectly smooth, and as such it has nothing to hold on to. This is why it beads up. This is actually how rain-x works. It fills in all the little pits in the windshield with a clear filler and returns the windshield to a perfectly smooth like-new condition.

texasdan
07-14-2006, 09:37 PM
My wife bought a new car and before the left the lot, the salesman tried to remove a bug using cut-rite rubbing compound. It was done before I could stop him. I never got the scratches totally out. We ended up trading it off and one of the big reasons was because we couldn't stand it with those scratches.

Neothin
07-14-2006, 09:50 PM
they do make glass specific polishes out there. it just takes FOREVER to remove defects from glass because it's so much harder than paint is.