PDA

View Full Version : Applying ceramic coating to areas near rubber seals?

hli
06-03-2019, 01:04 PM
I am planning on applying a ceramic coating to my car soon but am wondering what the correct way to deal with rubber seals around the window/trim etc. is. Are you supposed to mask off rubber seals so you don't end up with a shiny coating over them? I've also noticed the rubber trim likes to leave a black residue whenever I wipe them with 303 and I don't want that getting onto the paint or embedding itself into the coating. Thanks.

vobro
06-03-2019, 02:32 PM
If you're worried about it then absolutely tape it off

Paul A.
06-03-2019, 05:11 PM
I leave all my rubbers and trim masked with tape until I'm done coating. I like to keep my coatings apps pristinely clean.

hli
06-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Is there any appreciable thickness with these coatings? Curious if there are any issues with peeling the masking tape causing chipping or the coating leaving a lip where the body meets the seal.

vobro
06-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Is there any appreciable thickness with these coatings? Curious if there are any issues with peeling the masking tape causing chipping or the coating leaving a lip where the body meets the seal.

No, you'll be fine. Why not do 1 small test area and get comfortable with your process? The only thing you might see is depending on coating and paint color is that some coatings darken the paint a bit. Just do a decent job taping and you'll be fine

Rsurfer
06-03-2019, 06:56 PM

The coating is so thin, you won't notice any thickness difference. If you don't tape and touch the rubber or plastic trim, you might see a slight gloss where the coating touched the trim.

hli
06-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Appreciate the help guys.

ejaf
06-04-2019, 07:21 AM
The coating is so thin, you won't notice any thickness difference. If you don't tape and touch the rubber or plastic trim, you might see a slight gloss where the coating touched the trim.

Exactly...also, I don't know what applicator you are using, but with the coating I used, it had a sprayer, and I will NEVER do that again (switched over to a suede MF applicator the next time). I don't have a garage (that has room for my car ;) ), and the slightest breeze got the coating on my windows. Not a big deal, but just more work to get the stuff off.

Eric

DetailTrail
06-04-2019, 02:21 PM
These applicators are what I like,
Saver Apps. with the plastic lined inner core.

Hope AG sells soon ???????
PBMG for that matter.

Rsurfer
06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
These applicators are what I like,
Saver Apps. with the plastic lined inner core.

Hope AG sells soon ???????
PBMG for that matter.

Is the inner core plastic or foam?

DBAILEY
06-04-2019, 02:54 PM
They are foam that is wrapped in plastic then wrapped in MF suede. So the coating does not soak into the foam just the MF. I started using these earlier this year

Rsurfer
06-04-2019, 03:45 PM
They are foam that is wrapped in plastic then wrapped in MF suede. So the coating does not soak into the foam just the MF. I started using these earlier this year

That's a good idea, but I prefer mf instead of suede.

The Guz
06-04-2019, 04:40 PM
That's a good idea, but I prefer mf instead of suede.

They come in microfiber as well.