PDA

View Full Version : Coatings are Amazing

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
06-01-2019, 07:15 AM
I started using coatings on my daily drivers about 2 years ago. I had read about them on the forum but couldn’t give up my comfort with sealants. I took the plunge...and what I found was it was easy to apply, easy to maintain, and gave a fantastic shine.

My discovery today is something that I can’t recall hearing about on the forum.

My coating hit the 2 year mark, and it was time to do a full detail and reapply (CQUK). After completing the full wash prep (wash, iron x, clay), I was examining the paint closely to determine the amount of correction needed...and the surprise came. The paint surface was in great condition with very little marring, so much so, the only polishing needed was Essence Xtreme and a CarPro gloss pad. I was taken aback. I expected the usual that I had encountered with my other car that had a sealant on it — some compounding and a 2 step polishing process. The paint was in great condition. So, I’ve got to believe the coating protected the paint to such a degree that even the normal wear and tear was non existent. I had not expected this, and have to give credit to the coating.

Maybe this is a “duh” type finding for those of you with much more experience with coatings, but with my inexperience and my first reapplication of a coating, this surprise provided yet another reason to move to coatings on all my cars.

Please comment if you’ve experienced the same.

Misterpaul
06-01-2019, 11:50 AM
I too “discovered” this about two weeks ago on my wife’s Beast. After a few rounds of chemical decontamination and a going over with a clay mitt I was stunned to find intense water beading on the almost two year old Optimum Gloss Coat coated finish.

I do have a couple of spots that need attention but that is due to ten year old twins and their carelessness with school book bags and dragging their feet upon entrance and exit. I’ll take care of them with CarPro Essence.

spewking
06-01-2019, 02:10 PM
I noticed the same thing and did a double take...the water sheeting on the bare naked paint made it look like I had just coated it!! Crazy.

fightnews
06-02-2019, 12:47 AM
I started using coatings on my daily drivers about 2 years ago. I had read about them on the forum but couldn’t give up my comfort with sealants. I took the plunge...and what I found was it was easy to apply, easy to maintain, and gave a fantastic shine.

My discovery today is something that I can’t recall hearing about on the forum.

My coating hit the 2 year mark, and it was time to do a full detail and reapply (CQUK). After completing the full wash prep (wash, iron x, clay), I was examining the paint closely to determine the amount of correction needed...and the surprise came. The paint surface was in great condition with very little marring, so much so, the only polishing needed was Essence Xtreme and a CarPro gloss pad. I was taken aback. I expected the usual that I had encountered with my other car that had a sealant on it — some compounding and a 2 step polishing process. The paint was in great condition. So, I’ve got to believe the coating protected the paint to such a degree that even the normal wear and tear was non existent. I had not expected this, and have to give credit to the coating.

Maybe this is a “duh” type finding for those of you with much more experience with coatings, but with my inexperience and my first reapplication of a coating, this surprise provided yet another reason to move to coatings on all my cars.

Please comment if you’ve experienced the same.

Come on. If you are going from perfect paint to needing to compound after only 2 years your doing something wrong. Using a Sealant or wax instead of a coating is not going to cause that kind of damage all else being equal. Not even close. That's just ridiculous from my perspective. You would have to wash your car with a brillo pad.

fightnews
06-02-2019, 12:49 AM
I too “discovered” this about two weeks ago on my wife’s Beast. After a few rounds of chemical decontamination and a going over with a clay mitt I was stunned to find intense water beading on the almost two year old Optimum Gloss Coat coated finish.

I do have a couple of spots that need attention but that is due to ten year old twins and their carelessness with school book bags and dragging their feet upon entrance and exit. I’ll take care of them with CarPro Essence.
The coating is still on there it's not bare paint unless you polished it?

Coatingsarecrack
06-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Just coated my car for first time for protection and water beading/sheeting. Didn’t expect the looks at all but WOW. Looks better than any sealant/wax I’ve ever used. Will now coat my car from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fightnews
06-02-2019, 05:55 AM
I like coatings but with my experience you get to much water spotting. Especially if you are the type to go a couple months without washing it. Kinda defeats the whole purpose.

fightnews
06-02-2019, 11:11 AM
I just did cosmic Glasscoat V2. I followed the recommended curing time in the garage but I had to take the car out for a doctors appointment Tuesday. Of course it was raining but I should of been all set. But No, I got water spotting already in a few spots. I can't get it out either without redoing the coating.

It's absolutely ridiculous to expect anyone to run outside every time it rains to dry up the water on a coated car. That's obviously the coatings Achilles Heel right now. I know everyone is scrambling to come out with all these toppers to fix the problem. They are supposed to be "better" at not spotting.

Maybe detailing guys don't mind dealing with this hassle but No way you can expect a paying customer to.

Waxes and sealants may not last as long and they attract more dust and dirt but they never cause water spotting. And even worse these spots don't seem to be in the coating they seem to be in the paint. The only way to fix them is to polish them out with abrasives.

If they can come up with a glassy looking coating that does not water spot that would be amazing.

rlmccarty2000
06-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Water spots are probably never going to be conquered completely. I have never encountered water spots from rain water. I guess my area has “clean” rain with no contaminants. I did get water spotting from my city water but that was my fault for letting my teenage son wash the car and not telling him (again) to dry the car. I would suggest using something like IGL Premier over your coating to prevent water spotting.

The Guz
06-02-2019, 01:29 PM
I like coatings but with my experience you get to much water spotting. Especially if you are the type to go a couple months without washing it. Kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Not everyone has a problem with water spotting. It is going to be area dependent in most cases.

I haven’t had any issues with a coating developing water spots. On the other hand I have with a coating maintenance product (GTechniq C2V3).

Rsurfer
06-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Water spots are probably never going to be conquered completely. I have never encountered water spots from rain water. I guess my area has “clean” rain with no contaminants. I did get water spotting from my city water but that was my fault for letting my teenage son wash the car and not telling him (again) to dry the car. I would suggest using something like IGL Premier over your coating to prevent water spotting.

Not everyone has a problem with water spotting. It is going to be area dependent in most cases.

I haven’t had any issues with a coating developing water spots. On the other hand I have with a coating maintenance product (GTechniq C2V3).

:iagree:It's more area dependent. Meaning acid rain, hard water or a combination of both.

fightnews
06-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Actually I forgot about the water spot removers they sell for coatings. I ordered some carpro spotless. I think it will clear mine up.

I think if you guys had a black car with a coating on it I would bet a dollar I could find a few water spots somewhere if I put it under my 2 color match lights setup and my headlamp.

vobro
06-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Actually I forgot about the water spot removers they sell for coatings. I ordered some carpro spotless. I think it will clear mine up.

I think if you guys had a black car with a coating on it I would bet a dollar I could find a few water spots somewhere if I put it under my 2 color match lights setup and my headlamp.

I agree but I'll take a few water spots ( could they really be avoided on black with or without coating?) for the ease of maintenance and less dust

fightnews
06-02-2019, 03:56 PM
I agree but I'll take a few water spots ( could they really be avoided on black with or without coating?) for the ease of maintenance and less dust

I agree about the benefits but I never saw a water spot on my black car when I was using wax sealant combos. Nothing that didn't easily come off with a regular car wash anyway.

vobro
06-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I agree about the benefits but I never saw a water spot on my black car when I was using wax sealant combos. Nothing that didn't easily come off with a regular car wash anyway.

Well maybe it's the environment but water spots have never been an issue for me on current coatings, original CQUK and Opti-Coat 2.0 had a few but not really problematic. That's what's cool with all the different offerings as one can find something that satisfies