PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight DA polisher N/A. Alternatives?

Pages : [1] 2

SoreArms
05-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Some years ago I bought a HF 2000-6400rpm 6 in. DA polisher ~$60. Still works well. No longer on their website and pretty sure I don't want the two models that are. I'm looking for a starter kit to get my daughter for her personal car. DA polisher/3 Lake foam pads/1 pt. Klasse AIO for <$150. (Add 5" Lake backing plate if I find a HF polisher like I have)

I'm aware of PC and Girot's but trying to find something that works well enough but less expensive. I did find this which looks similar to the HF I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Variable-Polisher-Electrical-Dual-Action/dp/B01N0VJVQD/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=da%2Bpolisher&qid=1558974311&s=gateway&sr=8-10&th=1

Any recommendations?

DMiglio
05-27-2019, 02:02 PM
How’s this look? It’ll give you a similar polisher, typical griots/pc style DA, 3 white pads(can upgrade to the six pack of pads for not much more), and give you the larger size of Klasse AIO for less than 150 shipped.. gotta use the coupon code ending tonight so don’t snooze too long if this looks good to you!!

SoreArms
05-27-2019, 06:09 PM
How’s this look? It’ll give you a similar polisher, typical griots/pc style DA, 3 white pads(can upgrade to the six pack of pads for not much more), and give you the larger size of Klasse AIO for less than 150 shipped.. gotta use the coupon code ending tonight so don’t snooze too long if this looks good to you!!

Well price fits. No idea what polisher specs are and will need more time than tonight to check out specs and reviews of the many sub $100 brands available.

VISITOR
05-27-2019, 07:09 PM
if you haven't read this, check it out...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/111332-heres-what-you-need-get-into-machine-polishing-recommendations-beginner-mike-phillips.html)

PaulMys
05-27-2019, 07:29 PM
I can understand trying to save a few bucks, believe me.

But that Amazon polisher is $80. If you wait for a sale, you can get the PC or Griot's 6" for only about 30-50 more, and have confidence.

The PC is a proven tank, and the Griot's machine has even a bit more power and a lifetime guarantee with some of the best customer service in any industry.

SoreArms
05-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Yeah I know. Problem is she MIGHT polish her car twice a year. That's what I do and my $49 HF (20% off 5 years ago) has served me well and still works like new. Tough to step up to the standard issue twins when it will be used so seldom and my HF has worked so well for 1/3 the price.

dlc95
05-27-2019, 10:47 PM
I'd puruse Craigslist for a Porter Cable.

I found one local for $35.00! 1st gen style, no handle, but great condition.

KBsToy
05-28-2019, 03:58 AM
My neighbor was over yesterday and we cleaned and did a polish on the side of his car where somebody rub up against it. He used this exact polisher and it did it nice job in removing rub marks. He`s just a weekend warrior and he was pleased with it.

An online auction site has it cheaper.
Things to consider ,,, correct pads and polish make the job easier...

Coatingsarecrack
05-28-2019, 04:14 AM
Theirs a thread on Autopia for some cheap long throw D/A’s that the poster seem to like, used some quality parts and he got it for less than 100$. Believe company was called chech nya or something. I second the Griots as you can find sale from pep boys or advanced and get for around 120-130. Worth the extra money for quality and warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briarpatch
05-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Griots Garage 6" DA.....look no further. You may thank me later

Mike Phillips
05-28-2019, 06:34 AM
Was looking at your posting history, first post was back in 2013

Tell me about ON THE FLY (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/67930-tell-me-about-fly.html)

Then again in 2013

Klasse SG User's---Is It Really This Easy? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/68147-klasse-sg-users-really-easy.html)

And fast forward to this year, 2019 and this thread. That's a 6 year gap in posting. Welcome back! :welcome:

I don't know anything about the polisher you linked to on Amazon, it's kind of against the forum rules to link to other sites for stuff not sold on the AG store. But I get it, Amazon just like Harbor Freight, they don't have car detailing discussion forums.

:laughing:

SoreArms
05-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Maybe I'll give her mine so I can justify spending more for the two favorites.

SoreArms
05-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Was looking at your posting history, first post was back in 2013

Tell me about ON THE FLY (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/67930-tell-me-about-fly.html)

Then again in 2013

Klasse SG User's---Is It Really This Easy? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/68147-klasse-sg-users-really-easy.html)

And fast forward to this year, 2019 and this thread. That's a 6 year gap in posting. Welcome back! :welcome:

I don't know anything about the polisher you linked to on Amazon, it's kind of against the forum rules to link to other sites for stuff not sold on the AG store. But I get it, Amazon just like Harbor Freight, they don't have car detailing discussion forums.

:laughing:

Oh Oh...Sorry guys. Guess I forgot that after so long. I've visited AG many times since 2013, just haven't posted because I'v always found answers without having to!

Mike Phillips
05-28-2019, 08:04 AM
I've visited AG many times since 2013,

just haven't posted because I'v always found answers without having to!

I read that a lot, that's a good thing.

:dblthumb2:

DBAILEY
05-28-2019, 10:10 AM
The HF DA is still available. I bought another one about 2 months ago. It has gone through 2 redesigns. At least on the cosmetics. Same machine. I still see them on their monthly sales flyers.