PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick an All in One

Pages : [1] 2

expdetailing
05-27-2019, 10:17 AM
I would like to polish my mother's Subaru when she visits me sometime. We live hours apart, and she can't stay long when she comes, so I have about 8 hours max to perform a "detail" on her vehicle. She is mostly concerned with the inside, but I am also wanting to put a shine on the outside as well. I would like to leave some lasting protection behind, but I don't have much time with the vehicle. Thing is, I've never used an AIO, and have a few questions, and maybe you guys could offer me some suggestions, or alternate routes.

1. People generally claim an AIO's protection doesn't last very long, does this mean that swirls and marring will start reappearing, as if fillers are wearing off the vehicle?

2. Is the use of an AIO, followed by a LSP, more justifiable than a true one-step followed with an LSP considering I only have 3, or 4 hours with the paint?

3 If you were me, which AIO would you choose?

Thanks Everybody!

RPPM
05-27-2019, 11:05 AM
One coat, no follow up, 360 is supposed to last the longest. Duragloss 501 with 601 should hold up well, but have limited correcting abilities.

FUNX650
05-27-2019, 11:16 AM
IMO:
Optimum Poli-Seal is one heck of
an AIO that’s, seemingly, specifically
formulated for scenarios such as yours. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

Goonie75
05-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Mike said once I think that the hood they see a lot so maybe more time there. An AIO is good. Just not long protection. If you are contemplating putting a LSP on top of an AIO, why not just skip it, do a dedicated polish with a LSP that will give you longevity.

Correcting or perfecting cream. Perhaps HD One with white pad. Top with a good sealant or colinite.

Either way I'm sure she will appreciate the work on her vehicle. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

axel06
05-27-2019, 06:55 PM
black fire, or 3D HD SPEED

Dr Oldz
05-27-2019, 07:33 PM
IMO:
Optimum Poli-Seal is one heck of
an AIO that’s, seemingly, specifically
formulated for scenarios such as yours. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

I used to like it a lot. User friendly for sure. My issue was that the gallon I bought separated into an unusable substance after only 2 months on the shelf. No matter how long I shook it, it didn’t come back together. So I moved on to other AIOs. Maybe the new formula fixed that issue????

expdetailing
05-27-2019, 07:38 PM
black fire, or 3D HD SPEED

It seems BlackFire's AIO requires polish-like arm speed instead of an AIO's faster arm speed. I could be completely wrong about that because I have not used it. I base that off of other's comments about using it. My goal is moderate swirl removal in 3 hours with 6 months protection. I think I might be asking too much. I might just have to use a regular polish, move my arms twice as fast, and spend half the amount of time per section, than I normally would for a one-step, and top it off with some 915, or FK1000P.
I appreciate everyone's input so far.

dlc95
05-27-2019, 10:35 PM
In situations where I want more durability out of a cleaner wax, I use Duragloss 501.

I've been using 3D Speed, and while I really, really like it, I just don't "love" it. I'm not trying to sell correction on my low end service.

The one I do love is Duragloss 101. I used to use it as a follow up to a more aggressive polishing session. But I've always been under the assumption that it wouldn't have the bite to do any real light swirl removal, and it's proven me wrong.

DG101 paired with a yellow Rupes polishing pad cleans up the paint well, and I believe offers better protection and longevity than DG 501, probably more than Speed does too.

dlc95
05-27-2019, 10:37 PM
A glimpse of 501's abilities:

What Can Duragloss #501 Do? (https://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/38156-duragloss-501-a.html)

ScottH
05-28-2019, 06:46 AM
McKees 360 is an aIO that can stand on its own for protection. I have seen it last several months in a car that receives no care after it leaves my driveway. Blackfire’s AIO is also excellent and one I use as well. I would say it has slightly more cut to it than 360 but not as durable. Either are excellent as long as your expedition if an aIO is realistic.

ScottH

BillE
05-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Meguiar's new "3in1" has been some good reviews (over at MOL) for an AIO.

Bill

Paul A.
05-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Subie paint for me has always seemed on the soft side for correcting. Of the 2 AIO's I'm most familiar with...M37 and HD Speed...I like Speed for it's correcting ability over M37. For durability I prefer M37.

Given my experience I would go with M37 for a cleaner/sealant or AIO. You'll get.some correction on softer paint and better durability.

Having said that, I'm a correct then protect guy and in 3-4 hours would do a Menz 2500 (or maybe Menz 400/LC white pad) and then Collinite 845.

If she doesn't really maintain it until she visits again I would opt for the AIO route.

expdetailing
05-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Paul,
You really listened to my original post. She uses a touchless mostly, then uses a swirl o matic every other month. Thank you for the feedback.

Belo
05-28-2019, 09:53 AM
i think it's important to note that an all in one, like any all in one product, is good at 2 or 3 things, but not the best for any of them. So yeah longevity takes a back seat, but so does the polish. This isn't generally a problem for new or well kept cars, but you also might not like the results it has on swirls and light scratches. So i'd recommend you have a few different pad choices available. Orange, white and green LC pads would be my recommendation to start.

And I know you didn't ask this either, but you may also consider a good polish and then a spray on spray off, or spray on wipe off sealant. They are even worse for longevity, but i'm just putting that out there.

I have used mk360 and found longevity to be great. I also have some speed that i'm going to try soon but everyone here seems to like it. either of those 2 would be a good choice imo.

ddsski
05-28-2019, 09:54 AM
A subie is pretty small. I'd choose your favorite base prep (as suggested a good AIO and followup with Collinite 845 which is VERY easy to apply and remove. You should easily get 6 months out of that topcoat. Not hard to do 1 coat per hour.