PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle- Should I go with a can-coating / traditional ceramic coating OR traditional sealant....?

MrOneEyedBoh
05-26-2019, 06:33 AM
So I bought a new truck, and Im torn whether I should go with a ceramic coating or just stay traditional and go with a sealant/wax? I know we have a lot of people here that use ALL of these things on a daily basis, so your experience will help me here.

1. The truck sits pretty much all week and is in the sun most of the day, if it rains and there is pollen, I'll get water spots.
2. It seemed on my last truck the water spots were pretty bad, I used M37's coating. Im not saying that it was M37's fault, Im saying the coating seemed to spot up more...
3. I see there are a few can-coatings ( Can-Coat and Cquartz Lite etc ) out there now, granted they're only 6 month of so of protection, but would that be worth it? It seems like if you're going through all that prep, mind as well use the real deal...?
4. Are there any other coatings out there that exhibit SIGNIFICANTLY better water spot resistance on its own? I know about Gliss, but we went from a 75$ coating to a 150$ coating.
5. I like to wax my truck and "put stuff on it" when I can lol. Its hard to let it sit there with a coating and not use toppers, wax, sealants etc. But if the newer coatings are worth it, then so be it.
6. If you think a coating is the way to go, how many mL is needed for a crew cab f250 short bed truck? Any idea?
7. Is it worth to double coat on coatings? If so how long between coats?

Mike Phillips
05-26-2019, 09:01 AM
1. The truck sits pretty much all week and is in the sun most of the day, if it rains and there is pollen, I'll get water spots.

Wash
Clay if needed fine cut polish
Optimum Car Wax

Done

Mike Phillips
05-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Use often on good and roof

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/109555-patented-uv-protection-optimum-car-wax-dr-ghodoussi-autogeek-com.html)

KISS - Keep it simple Simon

:)

MrOneEyedBoh
05-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Wash
Clay if needed fine cut polish
Optimum Car Wax

Done

I actually have that in my arsenal from a long time ago, you recommended it to me... Do you think its still good? Looks good still.... Reason I stopped using it was because of my blue truck, I must've been using too much and it was streaking badly.

FUNX650
05-26-2019, 01:48 PM
So I bought a new truck, and Im torn whether
I should go with a ceramic coating or just stay
traditional and go with a sealant/wax?

1. The truck sits pretty much all week
and is in the sun most of the day...

5. I like to wax my truck and "put stuff on it"
when I can lol. Its hard to let it sit there with
a coating and not use toppers, wax, sealants etc.

•Reflecting on the water-spotting issue; and
taking numbers 1 & 5 above into consideration:
-I’ll suggest going with the more traditional approach
and use FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp as the LSP.

{I find that FK1000P Hi-Temp has its own set of
“self-cleaning characteristics”; and water-spotting
is a non-issue.}

Bob

TTQ B4U
05-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Polish and can coat it. You'll love the water sheeting and honestly, its fast and simple over a truck which is not small.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MrOneEyedBoh
05-26-2019, 04:36 PM
•Reflecting on the water-spotting issue; and
taking numbers 1 & 5 above into consideration:
-I’ll suggest going with the more traditional approach
and use FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp as the LSP.

{I find that FK1000P Hi-Temp has its own set of
“self-cleaning characteristics”; and water-spotting
is a non-issue.}

BobI do have that FK, and haven't used it yet.... Hmm... Thanks!

MrOneEyedBoh
05-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Polish and can coat it. You'll love the water sheeting and honestly, its fast and simple over a truck which is not small.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkI was thinking that too but afraid that it has to not get wet etc and I deal with morning dew every day now... Kind of sucks as it may degrade the coating. Issues ... Issues .. lol

TTQ B4U
05-26-2019, 06:10 PM
I was thinking that too but afraid that it has to not get wet etc and I deal with morning dew every day now... Kind of sucks as it may degrade the coating. Issues ... Issues .. lolGet it done early afternoon and you'll be fine. Give it a wipe down with cure about 2hrs after you're done and it will be good to go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
05-26-2019, 06:16 PM
Use often on good and roof

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/109555-patented-uv-protection-optimum-car-wax-dr-ghodoussi-autogeek-com.html)

KISS - Keep it simple Simon

:)

I have to say that OCW is the real deal. I ordered this before last summer, and had a little war with my DG Aquawax. Lol

Pains me to say, but OCW gets the (slight) edge for it's ease of use and longevity. (For a spray wax).