PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Boat

Corey06
05-07-2019, 11:18 AM
So I have a 2009 24' Seaswirl Striper and it is black and white. The boat is fiberglass, last year when I waxed it I used meguiars flagship premium wax with my portercable with a orange lake country pad. The boat looked great in the end, the fiberglass doesn't look oxidized really, I think the previous owner polished it quite frequent. I think this because there is a couple spots on the boat where there is all these white specs in the black gel coat, I did some research and looks like it can be caused by polishing since its opening pores in the gel coat?

I was just wondering if it would be better to use a less agressive cutting pad? I guess the meguiars flagship doesn't cut too much, but maybe I should be using a different pad? I am open to options or opinions. Do you have any recommendations of anything to apply over the meguiars flagship premium wax to maybe help it last longer. (Car pro hydro 2 or sonax polymer net shield.)

Thanks

Mike Phillips
05-11-2019, 06:40 AM
I think this because there is a couple spots on the boat where there is all these white specs in the black gel coat, I did some research and looks like it can be caused by polishing since its opening pores in the gel coat?

Doesn't sound right to me.

Can you share a picture? Get the TapaTalk App and use your phone if you don't know how to use pictures on forum.

I was just wondering if it would be better to use a less agressive cutting pad? I guess the meguiars flagship doesn't cut too much, but maybe I should be using a different pad?

I doubt either the pad or the product is the problem. A picture would help.

I am open to options or opinions. Do you have any recommendations of anything to apply over the meguiars flagship premium wax to maybe help it last longer. (Car pro hydro 2 or sonax polymer net shield.)

Thanks

Go with SONAX Polymer Net Shield. Simple to use, long lasting results.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-13-2019, 09:40 AM
And.....

Where you at with this?

:)

Corey06
05-27-2019, 05:29 PM
I have just got around to pulling the boat out of storage yesterday, we had a lot of rain the last couple weeks! I will be getting her ready for the water this week. Here is a pic of the white specs in the black gel coat, this is one of the most noticeable spots. There are a few other spots on the boat that are not as bad, but I was told it couple be from over polishing, and that its actually like little air bubbles, not sure how true that is. So now when I polish or wax I don't want to use anything to harsh so it doesn't do anymore damage to the gel coat.

I am thinking of using a white or green pad with my porter cable with the meguiars premium flag ship wax, and then also adding a coating of the sonax polymer net shield!