PDA

View Full Version : Product talk. Pricing, budget and loss of luster

jmorlan
05-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Let's talk about some products, pricing and budget.
Over the last 7 or 8 years I've tried all kinds of AG products, and other non AG products from a company also starting with A.
I dont know if I'm just getting older and the products are losing their mystique, or what the cause may be. But recently I haven't been excited about forking out bucks for some of these boutique products.
Who else has come to this point over the years and what products have you adopted?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
05-06-2019, 08:36 PM
I pretty much get your drift.

I think I am at the point now where I do not need to spend a whole lot on things that are the "latest/greatest".

However, one can always adapt as I am seeing this detailing industry really getting into high gear with more high-tech/user-friendly offerings.

That said, one could probably (most certainly) not pry Griot's creams, HD Speed, Collinite products, Nanoskin sponges, Griot's synthetic clay, McKee's trim restore, or McKees polishing pad cleaner from my hands, ........ Hmmm, this is just for now.

As you stated, a guy could post his "Better Option" for any one thing mentioned, but I think these work too well for me.

Nice post, man. :)

Paul A.
05-07-2019, 07:50 AM
I like to remain progressive and do fall prey to new things. I now focus mainly on process improvements. For example, when ferrous particulate removers first came out I jumped on them. Having been through a bunch, I now shop for the least expensive yet effective products. Same with coatings.

I also would say I'm frugal, especially as a business in trying to lower my cost of services. That said, I have settled on my favorites in all categories of detailing products. Like Mike P has often said, find what you like and use it often!

I still fall for new products every now and then. In years past I would see you guys talking up some new favorite product. I would buy 128 oz of it and find i did or didn't really like it over what I was using.

If I didn't really like it I was stuck with way too much in a container that collected dust. Now when I try something I get maybe an 8 or 16 oz amount. If it replaces my old product I simply buy the larger ( and most likely cheaper per oz.) amount on my next order. The most recent example of that was Sonax Cut Max over Menzerna HCC 400.

Basically what I'm saying is...I've settled on a wide family of products BUT remain open to newer, better products when they come out. My business philosophy is to give the customer more than they expected at the lowest cost to me.

jmorlan
05-07-2019, 12:50 PM
Ive bought thick plush microfibers from TRC. But lately as I've been burning through my stash, because I still like clean detailed vehicles, (and I have 4 of them, plus a trailer, 2 motorcycles and a side by side to deal with) I've found myself losing that luster for the higher dollar products and have started to question, what REALLY is the difference between a 24pk of microfibers at Sam's club, and a $12 gallon of Meguire's car wash soap vs the "enthusiast" grade high dollar stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IH8SPM
05-08-2019, 08:18 PM
I've been using Meguiars paint correction products since 1998 and I have always seen great results. Just recently I decided to invest in a new setup as my hobby was getting dated with rotary polishers and just two pads. That said, I love the new products and have a very large array of new stuff to try out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
05-08-2019, 08:21 PM
That said, I love the new products and have a very large array of new stuff to try out.

You aren't kidding, my man!

dlc95
05-08-2019, 09:59 PM
I can relate.

I'm finding that I wish I could just start all over again from scratch, like a newbie coming into the game for the first time.

I have 90% of my polishing liquids for sale as of the typing of this post.

The stuff that's left is fairly pedestrian, except for the wax, which is "boutique".

What's left
Menzerna FG400
Menzerna PF2500
Menzerna SF4000
3D One
3D Speed
Duragloss 111 or Opti-Seal
Zymol Carbon

Still might let the Menz go.

Desertnate
05-09-2019, 09:14 AM
For me the discussion would center on the definition of "boutique". I bet we could take a poll on this topic and there would be very little agreement. From my perspective, the only non-"boutique" products here are those I can't get easily OTC, which for me would only be a few Meguiar's, Mother's, and possibly a couple Griots products. Although Griots is slowly disappearing from shelves around here.

That aside, I've never really jumped after the latest/greatest and certainly have gone on the frugal side of prices. I my stock of products and buying is based on attrition, so that keeps me from chasing the latest "shiny object" being released. If I vary from one product to another, or step up to something more expensive, I'll usually wait until I need it and there is a good body of reviews/discussions which compel me to give it a try. Except for moving to coatings as my LSP, I don't really spend more on products than I did in the past. I simply shop around a similar price point. If I do change from one brand to another, it only happens at the time I need more of that category of product.

As a hobby, I've found my enjoyment in the actual ACT of detailing, and not so much in the products. From a product standpoint, I'm really just after a quality product at a price point which is reasonable for me.

IH8SPM
05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
As a hobby, I've found my enjoyment in the actual ACT of detailing, and not so much in the products. From a product standpoint, I'm really just after a quality product at a price point which is reasonable for me.

This I can agree with 100‰ although AG and other sites make it hard to resist sometimes.

Calendyr
05-09-2019, 10:27 AM
I have been saying this for years. The difference between products is minimal. So unless they come out with something entirely new, choosing one wax over an other, or one APC over an other will have very similar results. Some products are a little easier to use, some have a little bit more gloss, etc... but as long as you use the right product type for the job you want to do, you should have good results.

This industry is no different than all the other consumer products, they always try to sell you the newest and greatest. It's a bit like Tide, have you noticed that it gets 25% better every year, and it has been doing that for decades? Gosh, the original stuff probably made clothes dirtier instead of cleaning them to be able to improve that much ;)

dlc95
05-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I have been saying this for years. The difference between products is minimal. So unless they come out with something entirely new, choosing one wax over an other, or one APC over an other will have very similar results. Some products are a little easier to use, some have a little bit more gloss, etc... but as long as you use the right product type for the job you want to do, you should have good results.

This industry is no different than all the other consumer products, they always try to sell you the newest and greatest. It's a bit like Tide, have you noticed that it gets 25% better every year, and it has been doing that for decades? Gosh, the original stuff probably made clothes dirtier instead of cleaning them to be able to improve that much ;)

We spend a lot of time splitting hair over the particulars of these products, when in reality, they just need to work.

Nothing wrong with the discussion, but really these products are just tools to perform a task - to clean, polish, and protect a vehicle.