PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun - foam cannon?

bob m
05-06-2019, 05:46 PM
I have/had a GG Foam Gun - ya know the one that goes on the end of the garden hose. This is the second or third unit as none of them lasted - that aside GG Customer Service is excellent.
So, I'm thinking about either getting one from AG which looks to be more robust anyhow, but am also considering getting a PW and if I get the PW would get the foam cannon. Would this be a wasteful redundancy in equipment and technique having both the foam gun and cannon?

Bill D
05-06-2019, 06:18 PM
If you are thinking about the brass foam gun made by Gilmour that AG sells, those can go too. Gilmour replaced mine last year. I’ve had three so far. They don’t last forever.

I also recently picked up a car soap sprayer for a hose that works pretty well. The objective is to get a slick layer of soap on the car and this $12 Harbor Freight unit does it well. It doesn’t make foam though. I’m going to use it on occasion to give my foam gun “a rest” at times.

I want to be well prepared whenever I’m washing the car.

VISITOR
05-06-2019, 07:14 PM
there are several foam guns (attaches to garden hose) and the one to get IMO are the ones with the sliding brass bar (the ones that AG carries). i've been using mine for over 10+ years and it's been a champ. it started to leak at the top but after taking it apart, there was an internal O-ring that needed to be replaced and now she's back in action. they last a long time (never really break) but like anything else, if you throw it around and don't take care of it, there could be potential problems. the only thing i'm not a fan of is the quick disconnect on the trigger sprayer which i replaced. also, you can use a different sprayer as long as it has the proper threading on the end. i use one that has a shut off valve connected to it (right at your thumb) which can control the how fast the foam comes out. IMO, it's more of a washing tool than anything else. if I detailed for income, I would certainly have a pressure washer no doubt about it. both have their place...

btw.. like you Bill, i love my foam gun and wouldn't be without it!

Bill D
05-06-2019, 07:31 PM
The one I had must’ve been a dud because it stopped foaming. I had it only a few years tops. Luckily Gilmour replaced it. I have three foam guns now and the HF sprayer I mentioned so I am well prepared now.

VISITOR
05-06-2019, 07:37 PM
AG carries these and it's always a good idea to have a back up just in case you break it (or clip goes bad). heck, i might add one to my next order...

Foam Wand Replacement (https://www.autogeek.net/foam-wand.html)
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_56685217

ntwillie1
05-06-2019, 11:48 PM
OP - to answer your question - I don’t think it’s redundant to have both. I use both of mine often. Sometimes I don’t feel like dragging our the Pw and foam canon so the foam gun on a hose does the perfect job. Worth it to me. I have had the AG foam gun one for years and works like day one. Good luck.

Paul A.
05-07-2019, 07:38 AM
I'm on my second foam gun. 1st one gave out after about 4-5 years.

I will admit I never really cleaned it out and should have. This new one will be fully rinsed clean after every use to keep any residual soap from gumming up some of those tight orifices.

FUNX650
05-07-2019, 08:35 PM
I...am also considering getting a PW and
if I get the PW would get the foam cannon.

Would this be a wasteful redundancy in
equipment and technique having both the
foam gun and cannon?

•IMO:

-Go with a PW.

-If you get a PW with a built-in downstream
soap dispenser, you may find that any need
for additional “foam-ing” equipment (gun; or
cannon) to be wastefully redundant; as well
as technique constraining.

Bob

PaulMys
05-07-2019, 08:51 PM
I'm on my second foam gun. 1st one gave out after about 4-5 years.

I will admit I never really cleaned it out and should have. This new one will be fully rinsed clean after every use to keep any residual soap from gumming up some of those tight orifices.

You can always carefully clean those clogged orifices with something like welding tip cleaners. Even Carburetor cleaner will bust out dried soap in the brass parts.

Bill D
05-07-2019, 08:56 PM
I ought to get some more carburetor cleaner. It has so many uses but I didn’t think of it for use on foam guns. Maybe it will just do the trick

custmsprty
05-07-2019, 08:58 PM
For my two cents, I like the foam gun. I don't like the time it takes to drag out my pressure washer and hook it up and put it away. I'm already half way done with my foam gun by the time I mess with all that. :autowash:

Bill D
05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
For the way I wash, as long as I’m able to produce a constant stream of soapy water over the paint as I whisk with my mitt, I’m good to go. The foam gun does this for me. I have no need to get a foam cannon.